--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UK/USA, 2011: Ironclad

Ironclad
    UK/USA, 2011
    Genre: Action, War, Historical
    121 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/

A member of the Knights Templar must break his vows of peace and silence after King John seeks revenge for being forced to sign the Magna Carta.

Jonathan English, an American director still looking to make his mark on the industry, directs this historical drama about the siege of Rochester in 1215. After a couple of flops, this might be Englishís big break as a filmmaker. Ironclad is a very interesting look at the times of King John, striving for a blend of authenticity and true epic scope. The cinematography is certainly gorgeous, taking advantage of the natural beauty of the Welsh countryside. While not really supported by the lackluster editing, it still manages to come off as a strong visual piece, with good use of limited CGI elements to add to the scene instead of distract from it. The score is suitably classical and moving, tying the elements together nicely.

The script itself is mostly good, save for a few odd lines here and there, but itís the actors that really sell the story. Everyone gets to have their Oscar moments, showing off the strength of the cast. Paul Giamatti steals the show as King John, devouring scenery left and right like the bratty monarch was known for. James Purefoy delivers a solid performance as the filmís hero, the world weary Knight Templar, torn between his vows and his desires to lead his own life. The rest of the cast is rounded out with fine readings that almost seem like character roles, representing common archetypes of fantasy and historical fiction, but manage to show some considerable depth.

The most surprising thing about the movie was the sheer impact of the violence in every scene. The action is incredibly grisly and graphic, sure to make even seasoned movie goers flinch at least a little. While the choreography wasnít terribly sophisticated, itís all performed with gusto and fervor, giving every battle a real sense of tension and value. Unfortunately, English opted to use the super tight style of action filming, making it very difficult to really appreciate anything happening on screen. Itís chaotic and confusing, which works somewhat for placing the audience right in the thick of the battle. However, strictly as a piece of film, it does work against it aesthetically. Still, overall, Ironclad is a gritty and powerful historical war movie, and absolutely worth checking out in theaters.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...iday-ironclad/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There seems to be an upswing in these gritty dark ages period pieces lately. Season of the Witch, The Black Death, and now this.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, but season of the witch was terrible.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 11:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    James Purefoy made an awesome Solomon Kane

and for the record, I watched Arn: the Knight Templar just because Vincent (Crow City of Angels) Perez was in it.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I shake my head at the script of SK, I got to say,
    I am thrilled to see this movie when it comes out.

More for Paul Giamatti than for anything else.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually busy writing a script about the last siege of Acre.
    I'll make sure to check this one out, sounds interesting.