Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by C0WB0Y View Post
    No, I'm using this as yet another example of why I don't trust anyone else with my firearm. Yes, the cops SHOULD HAVE searched him. Yes, the cops SHOULD HAVE known how to unload the gun. The cops SHOULD NOT have returned a loaded gun to a suspect and asked him to unload it due to their incompetence. If they really were all that baffled by the weapon's safety features, they simply could have just let it lie in cruiser. I've yet to read a story of a gun jumping up and killing a cop all by itself.
    But you wrote: "I'd be very hesitant, if not altogether non-compliant with handing my firearm to anyone, ESPECIALLY a cop."

I think anyone reading that could reasonably assume that you aren't prepared to hand your firearm over for a minute or two because you're more worried about a negligent discharge, as opposed to a few dozen intentional ones. That's a really bad (i.e. probably fatal) position to take.

Far too many people believe that just because someone is issued a badge that automatically makes them an expert in firearms and hand-to-hand combat. The VAST majority of cops I know are bumbling idiots when it comes to any type of self-defense. The slim minority take defensive tactics VERY SERIOUSLY (as they should) and are some of the most well-versed individuals I know.
    That actually mirrors my experience with the vast majority of MA students and schools. There is *no* substitute for actual physical combat, and any cop who works the street in a mid to large sized U.S. city is going to get a lifetime's worth of study in his first three years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:34pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another quick story:

In Harrisburg a few years back, I was in my truck in a parking garage with one my fellow judoka. We had been out to the bars (I was DD) and he was calling these girls we met to catch up for a late-night breakfast.

Suddenly in my rearview mirrow, I see Officer McFriendly (who kinda looked like an overweight Rick Moranis) trying trying to ninja sneak and inching up along the side of my truck toward my driver's side door. I opened the door and asked what the hell he wanted. At the same time, another cops, (this one kinda looked like Dolph Lungren) opened the other door and yanked my buddy out of the passenger side.

Conveniently, one of the rounds from the unloaded .45 Ruger Vaquero I left in the car (I was carrying my .45 Springfield Ultracompact 1911) rolled out of the truck and hit pavement. Officer Lungren slammed my buddy up against my truck and slapped cuffs on him. Officer Moranis pulled his cuffs out and told me to place my hands behind my back.

I told him to calm down and I pulled both my driver's license and my carry permit. He still was insisting that I place my hands behind my back. I again showed him my carry permit and asked why we're were even being pulled out of a parked truck to begin with.

He finally backed off a few steps, explained that it was "just procedure" and that he would only put the cuffs on loosely. Then he said "Please." The please got me.

So I allowed myself to be cuffed. Within two minutes of 'GUN' going out over the radio, about 20 cops showed up to 'secure the area'. Then two fucking IDIOTS start playing with my Springfield and click on the laser sight and start pointing it at random parked cars.

I was FURIOUS. I demanded that they quit fucking around or I'd file a report. The idiots quickly did and then left. About a half-hour later, we were STILL in cuffs waiting for my carry permit 'to be verified'. They finally got bored of waiting and turned us loose but not before giving me a lecture about firearms.

I was told that my permit was for carrying on my person only and I was not supposed to have guns in my car. I told him he was flat out wrong and the State of Pennsylvania considers any firearm in a vehicle to be concealed and thus requires a permit. I then asked if there was anything else he's like to be wrong about this evening?

He then began to chastise me and said I shouldn't bring any guns into Harrisburg "because we have a lot of shootings around here." Really? REALLY??? Why do you think I'm carrying a gun in the first place, MORON!!! I'll make you a deal... you stop all the shootings and then I'll stop carrying a firearm for protection.

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm using this as yet another example of why I don't trust anyone else with my firearm. Yes, the cops SHOULD HAVE searched him. Yes, the cops SHOULD HAVE known how to unload the gun. The cops SHOULD NOT have returned a loaded gun to a suspect and asked him to unload it due to their incompetence. If they really were all that baffled by the weapon's safety features, they simply could have just let it lie in cruiser. I've yet to read a story of a gun jumping up and killing a cop all by itself.

Far too many people believe that just because someone is issued a badge that automatically makes them an expert in firearms and hand-to-hand combat. The VAST majority of cops I know are bumbling idiots when it comes to any type of self-defense. The slim minority take defensive tactics VERY SERIOUSLY (as they should) and are some of the most well-versed individuals I know.
    OK that's fine.

However, you get pulled over in your car. You have your weapon in a holster/on the seat/ in the glove compartment.

Officer Plod comes alongside, you as a responsible citizen inform Officer Plod of your possession of a firearm. Officer Plod then requests you surrender the firearm to him for the duration of the stop.

You tell Officer Plod that you won't surrender your firearm, because you don't have faith in his ability to safely handle it.

How long do you think Officer Plod is going to put up with you refusing to surrender your weapon and questioning his competency before he's telling you to get out and spread your ****. No matter how incompetent with firearms Officer Plod may be, he's not going to be impressed with you refusing to surrender the weapon and calling him incompetent.

So at the point Officer Plod loses patience with you refusing to surrender the weapon and questioning his competency to handle firearms, what's your next move?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another quick story:

In Harrisburg a few years back...
    Is it war story time or are we discussing the best general manner to avoid being shot full of holes or find oneself on the receiving end of a wooden shampoo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
    But you wrote: "I'd be very hesitant, if not altogether non-compliant with handing my firearm to anyone, ESPECIALLY a cop."

I think anyone reading that could reasonably assume that you aren't prepared to hand your firearm over for a minute or two because you're more worried about a negligent discharge, as opposed to a few dozen intentional ones. That's a really bad (i.e. probably fatal) position to take.

That actually mirrors my experience with the vast majority of MA students and schools. There is *no* substitute for actual physical combat, and any cop who works the street in a mid to large sized U.S. city is going to get a lifetime's worth of study in his first three years.
    1.) At this point I have ZERO trust for cops and would not surrender my firearm to anyone. Come get it.

2.) I find it amusing when some of my LEO students relate to me police department locker room stories about guys bragging how they "totally kicked that guy's ass" when it was a 6-on-1 confrontation where the cops all had sticks & tasers and the suspect was unarmed. It's double funny when Officer Hardass couldn't even pass the department's watered-down defensive tactics course the first time though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
    Is it war story time or are we discussing the best general manner to avoid being shot full of holes or find oneself on the receiving end of a wooden shampoo?
    I'm providing examples of why I personally would never trust cop with my firearm. God forbid I just say "COPS SUCK AT GUNS, LOLOLOL!!!" You'd call me an asshole for not saying why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    OK that's fine.

However, you get pulled over in your car. You have your weapon in a holster/on the seat/ in the glove compartment.

Officer Plod comes alongside, you as a responsible citizen inform Officer Plod of your possession of a firearm. Officer Plod then requests you surrender the firearm to him for the duration of the stop.

You tell Officer Plod that you won't surrender your firearm, because you don't have faith in his ability to safely handle it.

How long do you think Officer Plod is going to put up with you refusing to surrender your weapon and questioning his competency before he's telling you to get out and spread your ****. No matter how incompetent with firearms Officer Plod may be, he's not going to be impressed with you refusing to surrender the weapon and calling him incompetent.

So at the point Officer Plod loses patience with you refusing to surrender the weapon and questioning his competency to handle firearms, what's your next move?
    Trick question: Never disclose you have a firearm.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) At this point I have ZERO trust for cops and would not surrender my firearm to anyone. Come get it.

2.) I find it amusing when some of my LEO students relate to me police department locker room stories about guys bragging how they "totally kicked that guy's ass" when it was a 6-on-1 confrontation where the cops all had sticks & tasers and the suspect was unarmed. It's double funny when Officer Hardass couldn't even pass the department's watered-down defensive tactics course the first time though.
    (1) You're going to die for a really stupid reason.

(2) I'm not concerned with what amuses you.

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trick question: Never disclose you have a firearm.
    LOl. Ok fair enough that does solve quite a few problems.

However, in the two stories you've told so far the police have either found the firearm or been alerted to it somehow.

I handled firearms a lot when I was at school -shotguns, Anschutz .22s, L98 Cadet GP, L86 LSW and even on one occasion the L115A3, that was fucking awesome

I even had my 'own' rifle for a while in the school armoury. So I'm not some ***** who hates guns, but I'm really confused by how you seem to be implying that you have an option when a policeman asks for your firearm.

If they know you have one and aks for it, you only have one option- hand it over. Otherwise you're risking a whole world of ****.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2011 5:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm providing examples of why I personally would never trust cop with my firearm. God forbid I just say "COPS SUCK AT GUNS, LOLOLOL!!!" You'd call me an asshole for not saying why.
    I would prefer you stop for a minute and consider that I, like most of my coworkers, are decent fellows and we don't want to have to kill anyone, let alone someone who has students and a family who depend on them, for no reason other than they "don't trust us". I have enough trouble sleeping at night already.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast