I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tell me about being a Corpsman

Tell me about being a corpsman. I can't find any objective things on it. Since I was young, I was always kind of wanted to pursue the medical field as it satiated my superhero complex, but never my puzzle solving complex.

Most of my family is in the medical or medical related field. My dad runs a free clinic, my aunt is the RN there, my mom works as a LCSW and Social worker over there. My uncle does the billing. My extended family owns the shopping center and has stock in the clinic. My aunt and uncles have gone through there as residents or worked as doctors over there.

I've always been interested. What's it like? What do I have to do? Is it a good idea? I was thinking of joining the Naval Reserves and doing the Corpsman recruit thingy. What's the ups? What's the downs? Should I be worried about anything? What should I ask the recruiter so he doesn't **** me?

Oh give me your wisdom.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 4/21/2010 4:31pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and tell me about SARC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Corpsman is navyspeak for medic. Very few corpsman are actually combat medics. You must be assigned to a Marine corps unit or be a SEAL to do that stuff. The unofficial nickname being "Pecker checker" so you'll be checking out your shipmates infected junk for most of your day. Good thing you started early.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Marine with band-aids for all intents and purposes...

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 5:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it true that everyone loves a corpsman?

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 6:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd rather be an Army Medic. Corpsmen are Navy, which means you're going to be spending most of your time giving IVs to drunkards and handing out Motrin.

Army Medics have much more potential to see action, especially if you get yourself assigned to a combat unit. Some of the most hardcore soldiers I've known were actually Medics.

Also:

YouTube- Obama gets 'corpsman' wrong

YouTube- Dangers of TOTUS: Obama Reads Word "Corpsman" as "Corpse Man" Twice

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 6:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    You'd rather be an Army Medic. Corpsmen are Navy, which means you're going to be spending most of your time giving IVs to drunkards and handing out Motrin.

....because army guys don't drink ? or take Motrin ?

On a semi related note : to where or to whom do I fax/scan my DD-214 to get one of those green tags ?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 6:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post

I've always been interested. What's it like? What do I have to do? Is it a good idea? I was thinking of joining the Naval Reserves and doing the Corpsman recruit thingy. What's the ups? What's the downs? Should I be worried about anything? What should I ask the recruiter so he doesn't **** me?
    I was in the Marine Infantry, so we always had at least one Corpsman attached to our platoon. I don't know **** about what corpsmen do when they're not attached to Marines.

When they're with Marines they do a lot of what Marines do. They go to the field. They hump their packs plus their medical ****. They usually carry only a pistol, no rifle.

When they're not in the field, they will usually have to go to the battalion's medical center for a good bit of the day to do sick call, etc. It's been a while since I got out, but I don't remember many corpsmen doing PT with us.

When they're deployed on a ship, they do the same things the Marines do. Sleep, eat, jerk off and work out. With some sick call duties thrown in. Marines have it pretty easy on ship. The sailors do all the work.

In combat, they're just as likely to catch a bullet as anyone else.

All in all, it's a pretty good way to experience a lot of **** without going through as much suffering as the Marines go through. It's a pretty easy job.

If you do it, for God's sake - just don't be a *****. A good corpsman should (A) know how to fix broken people (B) not be a *****. If you do those things, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Devil; 4/21/2010 6:54pm at .

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 6:54pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    ....because army guys don't drink ? or take Motrin ?

On a semi related note : to where or to whom do I fax/scan my DD-214 to get one of those green tags ?
    Just saying that in the Army you've got a better chance of avoiding the dull **** if you really want to.

There's a tag request thread in the Support Forum.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 7:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I was in the Marine Infantry, so we always had at least one Corpsman attached to our platoon. I don't know **** about what corpsmen do when they're not attached to Marines.

When they're with Marines they do a lot of what Marines do. They go to the field. They hump their packs plus their medical ****. They usually carry only a pistol, no rifle.

When they're not in the field, they will usually have to go to the battalion's medical center for a good bit of the day to do sick call, etc. It's been a while since I got out, but I don't remember many corpsmen doing PT with us.

When they're deployed on a ship, they do the same things the Marines do. Sleep, eat, jerk off and work out. With some sick call duties thrown in. Marines have it pretty easy on ship. The sailors do all the work.

In combat, they're just as likely to catch a bullet as anyone else.

All in all, it's a pretty good way to experience a lot of **** without going through as much suffering as the Marines go through. It's a pretty easy job.

If you do it, for God's sake - just don't be a *****. A good corpsman should (A) know how to fix broken people (B) not be a *****. If you do those things, you'll be fine.
    When I was much younger after having decided I didn't want to go work at my my grandmother's farm anymore because that **** is hogwash. I decided to go to my dad's office after school instead. I followed the nurses around and learned a bunch of stuff.

So I sort of know how to fix broken people, enough to triage them in emergencies.

And I have no sense of self-preservation, I don't think it's courage so much as I don't really have any sense of understanding of the consequences while I'm doing something. It's not until after do I freak out.

What's the difference between army medic and corpsman?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast