Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's been awhile Shaolin-Do is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skummer View Post
    Sadly, I must agree. Though I believe Sin The claims to have recieved GM status in his late 20's.

I have a peculiar perspective on this issue since I was a shaolindo student for a few years. During that time I learnt very little actually useful things, but I did learn lots of forms. I became fed up with unrealistic training, so I put a notice on the bulletin board at the school asking for people to spar and/or practice technique in a realistic manner. One black belt said he'd push hands with me, and that's it. 2 weeks later I quit and started judo.

I'm torn here because, while I agree the lineage is bogus and the training is less than adequate, I grew to enjoy the company of many in the system. The sifu at the school I attended is of the highest character and I consider him a friend. It makes me very sad to boldly say the system is bogus since he and others love & devote so much time to it.
    As a current student in Shaolin-Do under Elder Master Bill Leonard I can say that I am dissapointed to hear that you did not find the training realistic. I have been doing Shaolin-Do for years and one thing i can attest to is the realistic training I have received. I dont know which school you attended but all I can say is that it either was your teacher or you that did not apply yourself to the art because the training I have received has far surpassed any other martial arts training I have done in the past.
    As to the topic of Shaolin-Do's authenticity, I will refer you to this link in which Granddmaster Sin Kwang The is awarded with a memorial that stands in the current Shaolin Temple by the current leader of the Temple.
    http://www.grandmasterthe.com/biography.html
    And by the way, to all the people who say that Shaolin-Do is a fake art and its existence is based on false truths I encourage you to concentrate on your own art and not bring judgement to others.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitzerd View Post
    As a current student in Shaolin-Do under Elder Master Bill Leonard I can say that I am dissapointed to hear that you did not find the training realistic. I have been doing Shaolin-Do for years and one thing i can attest to is the realistic training I have received. I dont know which school you attended but all I can say is that it either was your teacher or you that did not apply yourself to the art because the training I have received has far surpassed any other martial arts training I have done in the past.
    As to the topic of Shaolin-Do's authenticity, I will refer you to this link in which Granddmaster Sin Kwang The is awarded with a memorial that stands in the current Shaolin Temple by the current leader of the Temple.
    http://www.grandmasterthe.com/biography.html
    And by the way, to all the people who say that Shaolin-Do is a fake art and its existence is based on false truths I encourage you to concentrate on your own art and not bring judgement to others.

:new_popco

Also, could we see some videos of the type of training you guys do? I'm curious to know what you mean by "realistic."
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 4:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    :new_popco

Also, could we see some videos of the type of training you guys do? I'm curious to know what you mean by "realistic."
    I dont personally have a video of the training I do. I guess i could make one but alot of the training we do alot of you would be familiar with like: iron palm, iron bone training, weight vest conditioning, resistance band strikes. I guess it depends on what school you go to, I know some Shaolin-Do schools that their conditioning is not up to par but the one I am at is the original Sin The' school in Lexington, KY, the training there is pretty intense. I took Tae Kwon Do for years and the training I get at Shaolin-Do far exceeds anything I got in Tae Kwon Do. But thats just my personal experience, another person in my shoes would have a completely different experience, I put a lot of effort into my training.
    And by "realistic" I mean the training not only teaches us kata but it applies alot of the techniques in the kata that would allow us to use them on the street if need be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 4:51pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sparring?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 4:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    sparring?
    Yes, this was what I was looking for. From tswitzerd's response, I'm guessing they aren't doing much realistic training.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    sparring?
    Wishful thinking?

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 5:01pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea about this art, but the name is instant FAIL, chinese + japanese combobulation.

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 5:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Yes, this was what I was looking for. From tswitzerd's response, I'm guessing they aren't doing much realistic training.
    Were always sparring, we even have a seperate class that works just on sparring.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Austin, TX school were doing nothing but forms and very light contact sparring when I visited them, when they weren't kiddy fiddling.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitzerd View Post
    Were always sparring, we even have a seperate class that works just on sparring.
    Excellent, that is good. Now what kind of sparring do you do? Light contact? Full contact? Striking restrictions (i.e. no head shots)?

This is why video would be nice to see.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast