Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 8:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Has anyone else here actually read any of Bruce Lee's books?
    Do you realize how fucking terrible they are?
    Are they as bad as his films?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Has anyone else here actually read any of Bruce Lee's books?
    Do you realize how fucking terrible they are?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Are they as bad as his films?

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shukokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had no idea I'd become the subject of Bullshido expose!
    So without further ado I'll give you some background to myself.
    Started (western) Boxing at age 13 for about 1 yr (I was more intrested in Football to be honest). Age 16 started White Cloud Kung fu (Sifu Derek Gorden) a 'softer' style that included Tai Chi, Pa Kua etc (Didn't look/feel like the Kung fu I was seeing in movies so I left after about 2 yrs)...for the next 3 years tried several styles - Shotokan, Uechi Ryu, Judo, Goju Ryu....then found Shukokai in 1979 (still practicing now-awarded 5th Dan in 2000)
    Throughout the years attended may courses with different instructors in Shukokai/Shito Ryu/ Ju Jitsu/Kickboxing/JKD/Wing Chun/Hung Gar. Started learning JKD from the 'Fighting Method' books from around 1977 and later a small amount of training from my former Shukokai Sensei Mike Gregory (Certified by Dan Inosnato/Rick Faye). Recently attended course with Sifu Lamar Davis II. Now been in the martial arts for 39 yrs. I'm now 53.
    My JKD Class is basically my Karate students and I training on the JKD we have learned/researched. I affiliated with WJKDF (Carter Hargrave's ) because we have no outside links to anyone nearby after several attempts to set up an affiliation with other JKD groups. We only train one hour per week on 2-3 techniques in class. I have never tried to pass myself off as a qualified Instructor or JKD master(lol) just an intrested trainee who works on stuff with his own Shukokai Karate students.
    Our latest class looked at : Tan Sao/Lop Sao defences, The Straight Blast with footwork and Oblique Kick/Inverted Hook Kick (about 20 mins on each). Anyone is welcome with a friendly attitude as none of us has that 'Badass Ego'.
    I just thought you'd be be better knowing I'm not a complete novice, yet not someone who picked up a book a week ago!
    Regards
    Carl

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:04am

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer: No
    Long Answer: Maybe by seminar(certainly not form books), depending if you had studied arts (MMA/MT/Boxing/Savate/Shooto) previously that would have cross-over with JKD( as it is essentially a form of MMA) and you certainly wouldn't be a full instructor.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shukocarl View Post
    Regards
    Carl
    There's an interesting thread on Carter Hargrave right here on this very forum, it's worth a read...

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm well aware of the numerous threads on Carter Hargrave's JKD and I'm not afraid to say that I have some of his dvd's, but then again I have dvd's featuring the late Ted Wong, Dan Inosanto and other JKD instructors. As Bruce Lee himself said-"absorb what is uesful, reject what is useless and add-specifically what is your own". You can only find what is 'useless' after studying it/trying to make it work. A lot of JKD is in the Public Domain now so comparing (visually) is easy. When drilling on that thing it's a different question. I'm not going to knock anyone whatever the majority think. If I get something useful, wether it be from Carter Hargrave/Lamar Davis or anyone it's all good with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shukocarl View Post
    I'm well aware of the numerous threads on Carter Hargrave's JKD and I'm not afraid to say that I have some of his dvd's, but then again I have dvd's featuring the late Ted Wong, Dan Inosanto and other JKD instructors. As Bruce Lee himself said-"absorb what is uesful, reject what is useless and add-specifically what is your own". You can only find what is 'useless' after studying it/trying to make it work. A lot of JKD is in the Public Domain now so comparing (visually) is easy. When drilling on that thing it's a different question. I'm not going to knock anyone whatever the majority think. If I get something useful, wether it be from Carter Hargrave/Lamar Davis or anyone it's all good with me.

So basically, you haphazardly throw things together and affiliate yourself with an organization to legitimize yourself?

Who gave you rank of instructor?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a world of difference between "owning a few DVDs" and "currently undergoing video gradings with".

Carter Hargrave has no connection with Lee, he set up his numerous federations in a cynical attempt to cash in of Lee's fame.

Not only that, but he patently teaches fucking bullshit, is a notorious self publicist, is constantly threatening spurious legal action and has attempted to defame detractors by trying to pass off blatantly self written articles as fact.

The man is a joke in the MA world, and an utter douchebag to boot. If you are "well aware" of these things and yet choose to continue your association, that's hardly a good reflection on your character.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to come across as rude, as you are apparently a legitimate Karate instructor (for what that's worth) but you have no business teaching JKD, at all.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    So basically, you haphazardly throw things together and affiliate yourself with an organization to legitimize yourself?

Who gave you rank of instructor?
    How does one throw things together haphazardly? In the original JKD there are certain techniques which are the same whoever teaches it unlike the concepts idea. So a Bai Jong is the same, Chung Choy is the same, Pak Sao is the same.etc. In my primary style of Shukokai Karate a Maeken or Maegeri is the same whomever teaches it. the fact that I have affiliated to the WJKF has made me a heretic I suppose. My Karate students don't have to train with me it's up to them...they seem to enjoy using different techniques as a comparison to Karate, and the sparring is different using shin/groinkicks, simplfied trapping, 5 ways of attack etc...different to the WKF style Kumite they do in the Karate session.
    If this makes me a money grabbing fraudster then guilty, or I could be a mid 50's instructor still having fun learning new stuff with my friends /students who pay around 3.50 per week for two- one hour sessions, which generally just about pays for the hire of the hall.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast