Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 7:51am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts as a self defence doesn't make sense?

Shut up. Appealing or giving into armed assailants won't always deter them and you may be forced to rely on an unarmed MA to defend yourself, of course you're at a disadvantage but it's better then nothing and it could save your life.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 7:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    MY EYES!
    I honestly don't think you've a right to complain about anything after assaulting our eyes with that stream of conciousness wall of text.

Try paragraphs, because right now I feel like stabbing you myself.

To address your points.

I know Manchester was (and still is) rough, but I'm sure your "every week" assertion is hyperbole. I know quite a few people from Salford, and I'm pretty certain I'd notice if they got shot every week.

Certain areas of London are quite notorious for violent crime, I'll give you that. As for Argentina... well, it's fucking Argentina.

I think the clear message here is context is everything. Do you see that your assertion about weaponry is based on the fact you've apparently lived in a succession of absolute fucking shitholes, and that it may not be true for most others?

Also, I don't put improvised weaponry in the same class as guns and knives. Even things like crowbars are an order of magnitude easier to deal with while unarmed.

Finally, being physically fit and used to dealing with violence (even in a sporting context), stands you in good stead even if someone does attack you with a weapon.

So no, martial arts aren't useless for self defence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 7:58am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post

Try paragraphs, because right now I feel like stabbing you myself.

To address your points.

I know Manchester was (and still is) rough, but I'm sure your "every week" assertion is hyperbole. I know quite a few people from Salford, and I'm pretty certain I'd notice if they got shot every week.

Certain areas of London are quite notorious for violent crime, I'll give you that. As for Argentina... well, it's fucking Argentina.

I think the clear message here is context is everything. Do you see that your assertion about weaponry is based on the fact you've apparently lived in a succession of absolute fucking shitholes, and that it may not be true for most others?

Also, I don't put improvised weaponry in the same class as guns and knives. Even things like crowbars are an order of magnitude easier to deal with while unarmed.

Finally, being physically fit and used to dealing with violence (even in a sporting context), stands you in good stead even if someone does attack you with a weapon.

So no, martial arts aren't useless for self defence.
    Manchester has calmed down A LOT since the nineties .I am happy for you that you live in a magic pixie land where the muggers don't use weapons.
    Last edited by Gustard; 6/23/2011 8:02am at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manchester has calmed down A LOT since the nineties .
    I'm 32, I grew up in the 90s. More importantly, so did my friends.

None of them were shot.

I am happy for you that you live in a magic pixie land where the muggers don't use weapons.
    No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying I live in a magic pixie land where muggings aren't all that fucking common.

See, context. If you live in a violent inner city notorious for aggravated robberies, then you're likely to see more violence than the average person... and should probably take appropriate precautions. If you don't, then taking the same precautions is called paranoia (see: Elmore).
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 6/23/2011 8:13am at .

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:09am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard to combine hide and seek and sex. Just call it rape and have a nice day.
    I suggested to my wife "How about trying some rape role-play?"

She said "No!"

I said "That's the spirit!"

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    I'm 32, I grew up in the 90s. More importantly, so did my friends.

None of them were shot.

No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying I live in a magic pixie land where muggings aren't all that fucking common.

See, context. If you live in a violent inner city, notorious for aggravated robberies, then you're likely to see more violence than the average person.

Which is exactly my point. If you live in a nice area you are likely never to have to use the martial arts skills that you spend so much time learning. If you live in a rough area people use weapons anyway.
    I am not saying martial arts are useless I am saying that training them piurely for self defense has its basis in paranoia and machismo - not reality. Unless of course you need them for your job.
    Last edited by Gustard; 6/23/2011 8:16am at .

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not saying martial arts are useless I am saying that training them piurely for self defense has its basis in paranoia and machismo - not reality.
    And yet it's martial arts like ninjitsu which are the ones likely to be trained purely for "self defence".

Whereas in the sport MAs (i.e. the ones that actually work), self defence is often not even a tertiary concern.

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is exactly my point. If you live in a nice area you are likely never to have to use the martial arts skills that you spend so much time learning. If you live in a rough area people use weapons anyway.
    I am not saying martial arts are useless I am saying that training them piurely for self defense has its basis in paranoia and machismo - not reality. Unless of course you need them for your job.
    What if you get attacked by someone that's unarmed. Would you use yor martial arts training to defend yourself?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    What if you get attacked by someone that's unarmed. Would you use yor martial arts training to defend yourself?
    Absolutely.

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 8:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely.
    Well then your training isn't paranoid or macho, it's practical.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast