Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sparring Issues

I did kickboxing a few years back mostly for conditioning for sports. Im new into mma and have been doing it for about a month about 3 times a week or as work allows. Im new to sparring but so far i dont feel like im getting good instruction. We spar full contact 2 times a week no head gear or shins just mma gloves and mouthpiece. The only time im tought new things is during bjj days but no striking. Ive been sparring with guys that are vets at this and are years ahead of me. as a matter of fact my third day of mma i sparred against one of the couple pros that train there and he demolished me, i never landed a hit and he busted my nose and everything. I got a shiner from yesterday as well. Im not scarred to get hit cause i keep going back :P but i want to know is this normal? i at least thought that id have some instruction to learn off of to go along with the beatings instead of being on my own to pick it up. Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 11:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Busted nose and a shiner and only a month in with MMA gloves? Are you spazzing out and trying to go hard and they are putting you in your place?

I'm wary to commit advice because this might be a case they are going soft and you are a major *****, or that they are going hard and you should be given better instruction on defence.

Can you link us to the school's website?

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no they are putting me in that situation knowing my skill level, ive never talked **** or hyped up i jus want to learn and get better. this is the website. http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=rpfaa it looks cheesy i know but they teacher is Josh Eagans a pretty well know pro fighter here in South Carolina you just have to click the adult mma tab
    Last edited by Gaven Small; 6/22/2011 12:09am at .

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:12am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I checked it out, he has an established record. Have you spoken to him about anything yet?

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have and it doesnt really seem to click because he is used to the other guys there that know what they are doing. the only time he goes easy on me is during bjj and he lets me practice my technique. As soon as gloves are on im going toe to toe with guys that have been training since i was a toddler. Im a 18 yo new guy going against 25-30 yo pros and amateurs.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with battlefields - have you asked the guy what's up, where's my lessons?

An acquaintance of mine was in a situation a few years back where she thought she was learning to box, but she was really only learning to survive beatings. It was only when the doctor's talk of permanent jaw damage and surgery started to have dates attached to it that she realized it was time to switch "schools."

If your instructor is not even attempting to teach you anything, it's not a class - it's a beat-down. Run. Find a real school. Just because the guy is an established fighter doesn't mean he's a good teacher, coach, or corner.

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:28am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the structure of a typical lesson?

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    on a bjj day which is tuesday its just show and then you try sort of deal with a put it all together roll around at the end, i can handle that. Every other day he will have us shadow box and stretch as a warm up then have a little circuit of heavy bag kicking, speed bag and ground dummy not coaching you he just expects you to do it then he will pair you up and you go at it for 5 min. no real teaching going on, i can kick the bag all day but without help or teching that isnt a whole lot i dont think.

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:38am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't sound good, mate. You're not locked into a contract or anything, are you?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 12:39am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He sounds like a douche bag.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast