Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 5:40pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A lot of idiots think that the UFC is no rules fighting, and this idea appeals to some people in theory, even though in practice what they want to see is a kimbo slice style boxing match without the gloves and stuff. I think if there was a venue that was boxing with MMA gloves, it would be popular (and it would be a brutal sport to compete in).
    Hell yeah! And then have the fights take place in that boatyard where Kimbo used to fight in his Youtube days.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Style make fights. If everyone in a promotion is stylistically similar, I get bored easily.
    Does anyone else see the irony?
    Boxers are somehow stylistically different from each other? Sure, but not when you are comparing it to MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 7:22pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony?
    Boxers are somehow stylistically different from each other? Sure, but not when you are comparing it to MMA.
    I feel the same way when it comes to boxing. It's why I don't think Klitschko vs. Haye is going to be that exciting. Unless Haye comes roaring out in the 1st round, it's probably just going to be a feint fest.

Regarding MMA, I like it when you got two guys who are masters of totally different disciplines. Bring in a guy who's a deliberate shooter and get him to against a brawler. That's exciting stuff.

It's not so fun watching two jack-of-all-trades going at it. They're good enough at everything, but not brilliant at anything.

So yes, with boxing and MMA, styles make fights.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've watched enough UFC fights in bars and seen enough local MMA fights to know what its like to sit next to idiot fight fans.
    I have too.

Once was all it took.

Never bothered since.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:35am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to watch MMA a lot now I am finding the fights boring. Now it is about last minute takedowns and weak ground and pound trying to impress the judges. Plus when the fight does go to the the ground they stand them right back up. So what you get is weak boxing with takedowns. I mean when was the last time GSP has stopped anyone.

I am finding my self watching boxing more due to the fact you will see some punches exchanged. I think boxing will make a come back if UFC keeps going they way it is. They have to change some of these stupid rules as well. I miss the Pride Fights and I have seen better MMA fights on DREAM out of Japan.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    People say the advantage to MMA gloves is that jabs actually count for something. But I don't think most people want to see jabs knock people out. Hell, people think they're boring in boxing as it is.
    Michael Watson KO'd Nigel Benn with a Jab.

(A phenomenal fight and terrific strategy set by Eric Seccombe borrowed from Ali v Foreman. Michael had the disciple and courage to ride out the Storm - and it WAS a Storm - and won a sensational contest).
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 6/24/2011 12:23pm at . Reason: and courage...cos he was.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Danzan Ryu jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC has taken the worst in boxing and made it the play book. In the 1940's and 50s boxing was controlled by a couple guys named Jim Norris and Frankie Carbo they had the IBC. If you did not sign a contract for a return fight if you won the title you did not get a title shot. In many title fights they told the fighters he wins one you win one and the third fight is for real. Sugar Ray Robinson mentioned it in his book, Jake LaMotta speaks of it in Raging Bull.
    To my knowledge the UFC has not sunk to that level as yet, but it has become a monopoly. Purses are not put out for bid to the promoter who will pay the most. This part of the UFC is a major turn off for me. They had great fights in the IBC, but it stunk to high heaven and that is why Cuss D'Amto was able to under mine the IBC destroying it. Don King and Bob Arum picked up where they left off with return fight clauses if a challenger met one of their Champions. Dana White came from boxing and that is what he brought. Gambling money on boxing or UFC dictates the fights not PPV. Who did White get the money from to buy the UFC? What do those two brothers own? Same old story it use to be IBC now it is UFC. Both have the same stink!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2011 6:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/MT/grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just thing both boxing and MMA are cool so I watch both sports if I can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2011 8:16pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    I used to watch MMA a lot now I am finding the fights boring. Now it is about last minute takedowns and weak ground and pound trying to impress the judges. Plus when the fight does go to the the ground they stand them right back up. So what you get is weak boxing with takedowns. I mean when was the last time GSP has stopped anyone.

I am finding my self watching boxing more due to the fact you will see some punches exchanged. I think boxing will make a come back if UFC keeps going they way it is. They have to change some of these stupid rules as well. I miss the Pride Fights and I have seen better MMA fights on DREAM out of Japan.
    Dayum. I can't believe I am saying this but fighters like Sonnen actually get more excited to watch than, say, GSP. Sure,GSP is probably more skilled technically and Sonnen sounds like he's a twelve year old when he's trash talking but at least the latter tries to finish fights rather than win on decision.

Meh, I do boxing but the shows, especially the domestic ones here in Australia, are really boring. Even the Australian heavy weight title fight (Kirby V Wilson) was a snorefest until round eight. Mendez vs Pacquiao was good but I felt the scoring board was fucked up. Imo, I did not see how Mendez did not win.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011