Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:02pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing vs. UFC

Dana White recently said, "MMA is the kind of sport that once you start watching it, it's hard to go back to boxing."

Thing is, there was a time I used to not miss a UFC -- but the last card that really got me excited was UFC 124. That was back in December -- the very same day Khan fought Maidana, a match which IMO had far more entertainment value.

Since December, boxing has offered us:
    • Donaire vs. Montiel
    • Alvarez vs. Hatton
    • Maidana vs. Morales
    • Hopkins vs. Pascal
    • Berto vs. Ortiz
    • Lopez vs. Salido
    • Alvarez vs. Rhodes
    • Froch vs. Johnson

These are all just fights off the top of my head -- each that I believe has surpassed every UFC card since December. Granted, the most hyped boxing match (Pacquiao vs. Mosley) was a dud -- but at this point, any match involving Pacquiao has high expectations.

Now when it comes to UFC fights, let's not convince ourselves that shitty fights are great under the guise of being “knowledgeable” and others being clueless. Usually, I prefer UFC over boxing.

The problem with UFC right now, is that the sport has hit a plateau -- that plateau is wrestling. I’m reminded of when Royce Gracie came in a shocked everyone he faced with jiu jitsu. No one knew how to fight it. Right now, a great deal of MMA fighters don’t know how, or can’t handle the wrestling ability of good wrestlers. These wrestlers are taking full advantage of this, and getting easy wins.

Still, I believe UFC has a bright future, so long as it doesn’t hit a drought that lasts for so long that any sort of decline gets out of hand. Hell, maybe they'll set a date for Anderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre.

Till then, boxing's got a hell of a good schedule coming up: Haye vs. Klitschko, Ortiz vs. Mayweather, Pacquiao vs. Marquez. Hell, a rematch of Maidana vs. Khan would be a guaranteed classic.

I think we can safely say -- for right now -- boxing is a hell of a lot more exciting than what Dana White's been scheduling lately.

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not anti-boxing by any stretch. It just doesn't appeal to me. I'd much rather watch a regional MMA show. To me, any MMA is better than boxing. But even if that were not the case, I'm nothing but excited for the upcoming UFC cards, not to mention Bellator.

I don't think it has plateaued. If the judging were better I don't think we'd be having this discussion. I believe it's more the judging that needs to evolve than it is the way competitors deal with wrestling, although I do agree that it's only a matter of time before people learn to better handle the better wrestlers in MMA.

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:20pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this your way of saying you have watched a lot of boxing this year and not much MMA? Because you made it too long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 5:57am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep,Boxing is awesome.
    You don't have to worry about elbows,kicks,takedowns,chokes,leglocks,armbars or shoulder locks....what's not to love ?
    Yes,I train boxing.I train it most often though when I'm too banged up to train anything interesting.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 6:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickko View Post
    Yep,Boxing is awesome.
    You don't have to worry about elbows,kicks,takedowns,chokes,leglocks,armbars or shoulder locks....what's not to love ?
    Yes,I train boxing.I train it most often though when I'm too banged up to train anything interesting.
    Interesting. Go **** yourself.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 6:32am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah **** yourself.I actually do train boxing classes seperate to my Muay Thai & Bjj.
    It's the least punishing of anything I've ever trained except for Senshido.
    Even Hapkido was more dangerous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 6:48am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickko View Post
    Nah **** yourself.I actually do train boxing classes seperate to my Muay Thai & Bjj.
    It's the least punishing of anything I've ever trained except for Senshido.
    Even Hapkido was more dangerous.
    Stop going to boxercise them. Train Judo when you're banged up.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 7:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me explain it to you then.

1) This thread is about the sport events of boxing vs UFC shows. And yet you start a bullshit style vs style rant, well actually a 'boxing is punching only so it's a bad style' rant.

2) Then continuing with a sarcastic tone, you say it's not interesting or punishing... Are you serious? That is some serious bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Stop going to boxercise them.
    Exactly.

And by the way, I also occasionally do a boxing class in my MT gym and get banged up quite nicely. And yes, sharping up your hand technique is very interesting to me.

But hey what do I know, ask any pro MMA fighter if they train some boxing, see if they find it interesting.

Dickhead

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 8:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana White is full of **** much of the time. However, I completely agree with him that it's hard to enjoy watching boxing after MMA.

I used to LOVE boxing. Now, I can't get excited about it at all. I've got every channel Direct TV has to offer, so I can watch as much boxing as I want. But every time I turn it on, I find myself zoning out and not paying attention. It's just boring to me.

When I was growing up, boxing was exciting because everyone believed boxers were the baddest dudes on the planet. Everyone knows better now. That decreases the prestige of boxing.

And don't even get me started on boxing's multitude of championship belts or the fact that the biggest fights never happen (Pacquiao, Mayweather). The last boxing match I watched was Chavez Jr. vs Sebastion Zbik. Chavez Jr. won the WBC Middleweight championship. Then I had to listen to Max Kellerman and Roy Jones have an argument about whether Chavez Jr. was "the real middleweight champion" or not. What a joke.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow, I find myself agreeing with devil.. The internet just divided by zero.
    **** just got real.

When I was a youngster, boxers seemed like gods, but after watching UFC for the first time, I was hooked.

It's MMA or it's boring for me, now.
    What I'd really like to see is a few more elite boxers jump in the cage :D
    Last edited by Colin; 6/22/2011 8:48am at . Reason: Because he wanted to.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast