Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

starting a new school

Hello all, I stared a new martial arts school... I am 5th degree in tkd and hapkido.. however I am changing theses into my own style to teach... like in Hapkido, i add strikes into moves that dont have them to make them more effective and real. I am taking out moves in each belt level that i find useless..

I am doing this class as tkd and hapkido trained together and each belt testing is for both at same time... A testing would be TKD forms, self defense (hapkido)and sparring(board breaking for higher belts)
    also we train in kickboxing as the sparring style, I find most tkd dont do well in sparring as they dont use there hands..

also in each testing i make the students react on not know what attack is coming, so they learn how to defend without hesitation

what are your thoughts on changing up styles to make a class

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 3:42pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first thought is that these kind of changes are ones that should be happening as part of a gradual evolution of your own training.

To get to a point where you feel you should make a wholesale change to a style, or mash two together before starting to teach it to others would concern me.

I teach aikido, which is a style I am dissatisfied with, so I understand your feelings. Experiment with it, and teach stuff you are comfortable putting your name to, but be wary of trying to be something you aren't, or making your art something it isn't. Don't go nuts with it.

Just my 2c. Very best of luck with the new school.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 5:27pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also plan on opening my own TKD school eventually, and I'm glad to hear your plans of trying to improve things. First off though, are you a qualified Hapkido instructor in addition to TKD, or are you just someone who has taken hapkido for a while?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5th degree hapkido...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 3:30pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many schools of thought. A couple of the most prevelant. are 1. What I teach and learn is great, no need to fit in any where or think about training other places; and 2. It's nice to be able to fit in with a larger group and have widely accepted and recognized standards as a core. I will enhance that core curriculum as I see fit.

Since we are a highly mobile society, it's nice to be able to accomodate people who subscribe to the wider standards at your location if they relocate. Similarly, it's nice to empower your students to easily find a new home if they relocate. It is a reaonable point of view to not give a frack about this.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 6:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorarts09 View Post
    what are your thoughts on changing up styles to make a class
    I think you're going about everything the wrong way and possibly should not be teaching.

How old are you and how long have you trained?

Where and from whom did you receive your 5th dan in Taegwondo and your 5th dan in Hapgido?

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 6:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the Op part of an organization? Does the organization have standard techniques that make up the curriculum? I think it is important to be part of a reputable organization that maintains a standard of quality so pros[ective students can know what to expect.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 7:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I think you're going about everything the wrong way and possibly should not be teaching.

How old are you and how long have you trained?

Where and from whom did you receive your 5th dan in Taegwondo and your 5th dan in Hapgido?
    why should i not be teaching? I attended every school here in my town when i was looking to join a school... I got bored of doing same kicks, same shitty self defense, others feel the same, so why not offer something else... you know most TKD and hapkido guys couldnt beet there way out of a wet paper bag.. Sorry if this offends anyone, but think people should train in realness and be able to defend themselves

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 7:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh im 36, and trained for 26 years... I trained under kee tae chung... also got kukkiwon WTF for 2nd dan, other than the 5th under the Chung system... Chung is not WTF... but whatever politics can bit my ass... lol...

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 11:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorarts09 View Post
    why should i not be teaching? I attended every school here in my town when i was looking to join a school... I got bored of doing same kicks, same shitty self defense, others feel the same, so why not offer something else... you know most TKD and hapkido guys couldnt beet there way out of a wet paper bag.. Sorry if this offends anyone, but think people should train in realness and be able to defend themselves
    I always find the "everyone else sucks but me" argument rather stupid.

If you are 36 you need to write better and calm down.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast