Sponsored Links Spacer Image

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. In the interest of clarification, the only thing I'm not endorsing here is that there is some sort of special thing going on other than or seperate from kinetic linking. As to the suggestion that I referred to as voodoo, was the idea that of getting hit like a 'cannonball' from what I envisioned as a one-inch punch type scenario.

Maybe I haven't been hit by the right kung fu guy? I've been hit pretty hard by plenty of different guys, but what Mr. Road Rage driver seems to be suggesting in that LAST post, was a stretch beyond what I have previously alluded to acknowledging.

My understanding of 'internal' is the idea that more lower core muscles are focused on than upper core (or some such configuration) and as such, strikes are delivered with a much lower center of gravity, and therefore take a more direct vector from ground to target, without the same sort of isolated chamber that some quick boxing punches use.

Am I doing it wrong?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 9:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's new and impressed. He is posting the invincible BJJihad and the 8 month white belts can murder every other art.

The one inch punch is a technique and it works. We have an entire thread where we discuss it not being a trick. It just isn't special or cool like BL made every one believe.

There was a thread with boxers using the drop step and basically delivering the one inch punch. The two that come to mind are Ali's so called "Phantom Punch" and the punch Bernard Hopkins used to drop De la Hoya.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/24/2011 9:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:14pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He's new and impressed. He is posting the invincible BJJihad and the 8 month white belts can murder every other art.

The one inch punch is a technique and it works. We have an entire thread where we discuss it not being a trick. It just isn't special or cool like BL made every one believe.

There was a thread with boxers using the drop step and basically delivering the one inch punch. The two that come to mind are Ali's so called "Phantom Punch" and the punch Bernard Hopkins used to drop De la Hoya.
    thats why i like you. youre edumucated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 2:58am

Style: Tai Chi, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok guys, don't be paranoid. I don't even know or care for the moment, what MAP is. I don't care what you want to call it when some one hits really really hard or does amazing pushes with little movement and seemingly no effort. However, it would help if you could call it something.

Im not overly impressed, but i am appropriately impressed, just like i am apprpriately impressed with someone who can achieve a black in BJJ or get perfect SaT scores.

I'm interested to know who's experienced it, not what anyone thinks it is or isn't ny mystical or pseudo science associated, not that thats not worth taking about, it's just isn't the point of my inquery.

Terribly sorry if I missed someone, it would be much easier to pick out, if you just said something like YES or NO. So, thanks for the clarification W Rabbit.

The truth is not everybody has felt this, so I'm interested in who has.

Lastly, if some one could give me a Bullshido Politically Correct Term for the type of strike or push that feels strangely strong and is delivered with very little movement and seemingly no effort, I would be very happy to dawn my kimono, bow reverently to you while averting my eyes, and promise not to say the words " internal," "power," "qi," or any other term than the one prescribed for the rest of the thread. Mia Culpa.
    Last edited by roadsterdriver; 6/25/2011 2:59am at . Reason: I cantspell

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I suppose I have to confess that whenever I think of short explosive power, I tend to think of this:

Tyson can generate incredible power in a short uppercut, so I can definitely appreciate that there are guys with short power for other types of strikes, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 4:50am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...the punch Bernard Hopkins used to drop De la Hoya.
    Here's a video of that punch.

The fight is a good one to watch if you appreciate short powerful punches. After Oscar de la Hoya delivered his textbook flurries, Bernard Hopkins would counter with short overhand rights. They were like hammers driving in nails.

When I took bagua classes when I was young, my sifu would constantly say, "Energy is circular." At the time, I thought he was referring to mystical powers.

It wasn't until I learned to hook that I finally got what he meant. You can generate short bursts of power by "reaching into" your core, and making contact at the right moment. I'm not going to go into the mechanics of it because other people on this board have already, and they've done a better job of explaining it.

I will say, though, that when you do twists in bagua, the mechanics are similar enough to garden variety hooking -- even though the intent isn't necessarily the same as punching.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys getting snarky about the name is just as stupid as arguing about a teep and where it came form regarding Segal. My point, in this thread, is that it isn't that different from art to art it is just a name. I'm failry certain that was part of Cullion's point as well.
    Exactly. I can think of a whole host of things that CMA have special names for that Boxers and other martial artists also do. Sometimes they call it something different, sometimes they just don't have a special name for it and it's just part of what you do when you get good.

e.g. I don't think Boxers have a special name for 'Fa Jing', but good boxers certainly do it.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I've read as much of the "internal vs. External" argument in the archive as I can stomach. I see why you guys are so testy.

Anyway, what I am talking about here, as I said before is getting hit with a

"strike or a push that seems incredibly forceful but was delivered with very little movement and seemingly no force and without apparent excessive speed." I think that's about the best and least offensive description I can come up with. A lot of you guys know exactly what I am talking about. I'm not trying to restart an old controversy, I'm just asking who has been hit or pushed like this. You know, real life.

I'm not much of a martial artist, but I've been hit by a lot of guys, well 20 or 30 at least. Very few were that special, but once in a while you can run into some freaky **** where the guy can produce this kind of force on demand, and I don't think it is quite as common and humdrum as you all are suggesting. that's why I'm asking.

PS: Moderator, if you can come up with a better subject title that still asks the same question, it's OK, with me. Thanks.
    Last edited by roadsterdriver; 6/25/2011 11:07am at . Reason: PS:

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 1:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read your posts again and stop wondering why people are getting just as testy as you.

What arts have you trained?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, a bit of Kaju Kenpo, now starting BJJ

Tried some stuff when I was a kid like Tang Su do, Kenpo Kung Fu (or some similar name)

I just happened to have a friend years ago, who was martial arts publisher and through him I got to meet some amazing guys, like Liang Ke Quan, Park Bok Nam, Xie Pei Chi, Vince Black and a few others who completely blew my mind in terms of their expertise and power they could generate seemingly from now where.

I also got to meet a lot of other cool guys like Tim Cartmel whom I really liked(and some other guys whose names I have forgotten), but couldn't really put them in the same category as the above, not taking anything away from Tim. He is a fine martial artist, but at least at the time, these other guys definitely seemed in a different echelon. And the power they produced, was beyond anything I ever would consider normal.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast