Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 2:22am

Style: Tai Chi, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, just checking, relax. I'm trying to get an idea of how many people here have been hit like this, as you say, really really hard, and with very little movement and seemingly no effort on the other side. That's all. Thanks mate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    When they shake the feeling out of their body they then ask me if I could do that why don't I just keep fighting and hit people with it. It takes me a couple of seconds to root myself, by that time I could get hit 4 or 5 times.
    +1

Keeping that ground connection (sorry for the sucky terminology) is one of the big reasons the YiQuan guys spend so much time doing their variation of friction-stepping. Even if I were fully recovered from my back injury, there's no way in hades I could switch out from boxing-style body mechanics to pulling off one of those while someone was trying to hit me, even in just a light sparring context much less a fight. Granted, I sucked, but even still -- talk about a no go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, Jim, Have you felt this kind of hit or not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 5:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had seen it with more senior students, but not experienced personally. Not in a rush to volunteer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 1:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDesu View Post
    Not in a rush to volunteer.
    Hehe, I know what you mean!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 10:24am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, it is now time for you to add to the thread.

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay, it is now time for you to add to the thread.

Thanks.
    Uh, Who?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 11:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsterdriver View Post
    Uh, Who?
    Everyone that has responded has added to your thread, but me and you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, well, I imagined, given the number of experienced martial artists on this site, that there would be tons of people coming onto this thread saying,

"Yeah, MA$ter So and So hit me so freakin hard I though my guts were going to explode out of my ass...and his hand barely moved at all when he did it." So, I'm really surprised that only a few people who have experienced this type of power have come forward so far. I don't know these guys, but they sound like credible individuals.

So, the question I am forming in my head right now is...is it true that so few have been hit like this? Because, once you have, you don't really forget it for a long time and you know it's something different from the usual punch of push.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted here was a discussion of what internal power is or bad theories on how it is developed or anything like that, I was really hoping just for a credible list of people who have actually felt a good kung fu hit.

I think we do have a credible list, it's just very very small. So, hopefully this thread can hang around a bit (skipping debates), and get some numbers.

The thing is, if you haven't been hit or pushed by someone really good, you don't have any frame of reference for discussion...hence all the uninformed remarks about how fake it is.

So, please no flame, if it can be helped, but I would really like to hear from you guys, there can't possibly be only four people on this site who have actually experienced this.
    There you go. Thanks.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy that ran the SDSU martial arts/meditation club was an old Soviet guy (Jnanna) with a varied martial arts background. The stuff we would do was mostly IMA drills, and he would demo certain things where he would hit using relaxed power. He could hit hard, but it wasn't magical or anything.

I've played push hands with Doc Fai Wong at a seminar. Very good push hands, and he could launch people pretty far if he felt like it.

Mystical abilities aside, I'm more impressed by the health and nibleness of some of these old guys. There's an old Chen style guy that we used to see in the park, and he's got those ridiculously low chen style stances. My teacher moves amazingly fast for a man in his 70s. Doc Fai Wong's got a belly developing, but he moves very well.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast