Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All that egotistical posturing and you never answered if English is your second language. I hope so because you are not only trying to create new synonyms, for many words, you didn't read Omega's post correctly.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taijineigong View Post
    Yes, I revised my statement to this.
    Great. Why are you continuing then? See, this is how it is obviously about ego. It wouldn't have taken all afternoon and hundreds of words to simply say, "Oh I meant after I got pushed I ended up twenty feet back while falling over my own feet."

That would have ended the thread. Instead, we get this horseshit:

I don't know that revising my statement or answering your questions & remarks is really bragging or whining, but say what you will. Maybe you can go get us the dictionary definitions of these words too, and we will see you are Oh So Accurate.
    I'll just leave this out here for everyone to point at.

I never said anything about my root, and I certainly wasn't bragging about getting easily tossed around. How could that be bragging? Because I said people who can't easily launch me around must not be that great of internal martial artists??
    The bragging comes from whom you're training with, of course. Powerful guys with 40+ years of experience, and everyone who disagrees is just a ****-talker who hasn't experienced the incredible internal power of the secret guys you train with. Bragging about the company one keeps is still bragging.

For all you know, I have no root whatsoever and am a total beginner.
    Indeed, I am beginning to suspect just that.

Without touching hands with me, all you can say for sure is that my descriptions are not as accurate as you would like them to be.
    That's fine. I'm perfectly happy to be unsure. You should still train more. Maybe post a bit less too.

Ok ... Mr. Accurate Dictionary Descriptions ... the allegory in that context is when I said "like the floor had been removed from underneath you" --- an expression of an instance of symbolic fictional action.
    Not all figurative language is allegorical, you moron.

Agreed, and you could probably make a video of yourself doing those same cooperative parlor tricks that would look the same as Tony, right?
    Yep, I'll make it as soon as you make the one with you launching an MMA guy in a non-cooperative situation.

FWIW, he never calls himself Great Grandmaster or anything like that.
    Proper wu de demands that he actually denounce such nonsense.

Either way, Mr. Accurate Descriptions, I would think you would also want to have accurate perceptions ... so what can you really learn about someone's internal martial arts or real-world fighting ability without touch?
    Part of taiji practice involves developing an eye, so that one can watch a practitioner's form, or apps, or fights, and see what he has that way. Yes, feeling is superior, but looking is not without value.

By the by, between this and your previous remarks about "****-talking" and suggesting I fly down to LA, you're coming dangerously close to accidentally booking a sparring match for your teacher. Does he know your mouth is writing checks due on the account held by his ass? (Again, proper wu de might be handy here.) Or are you actually someone who doesn't like Mr. Ho and is hoping for just such a thing?

I think we actually agree more than we disagree, and it seems to me your ego is at least as involved here as mine.
    No, that's not it at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:28pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Great. Why are you continuing then? See, this is how it is obviously about ego. It wouldn't have taken all afternoon and hundreds of words to simply say, "Oh I meant after I got pushed I ended up twenty feet back while falling over my own feet."

That would have ended the thread.
    Good point. That is what I meant, and what I should have done.

Much of the rest I was just trying to clarify other things that came up in the process of me making an ass of myself. Even still I failed pretty miserably. Like I said: Bullshido n00b. I will learn.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    All that egotistical posturing and you never answered if English is your second language. I hope so because you are not only trying to create new synonyms, for many words, you didn't read Omega's post correctly.
    It is my first language, but I never said I am good at it. Clearly, I am not.

By the by, between this and your previous remarks about "****-talking" and suggesting I fly down to LA, you're coming dangerously close to accidentally booking a sparring match for your teacher.
    If I am dangerously close to booking a sparring match for anyone, it would be myself.

Now you can see why I wasn't sure if Tony would want me using his name here.

FWIW, I actually only brought him up because he was the teacher in a story I told, not because I was meaning to say he is so super-bad-ass. I actually have not had the chance to train with him anywhere near as much as I'd like to (only less than 1/class/mo for a couple years), and he is not my main teacher, so me talking about him or for him is really not appropriate in this forum or anywhere else. All I can say is in my experience he is very good, and in the CIMA he has a good reputation among other teachers I respect. At this point my word on this is worth SFA anyway, so I don't know why I even bother.

Either way, I am not in LA anymore unfortunately.

You should still train more. Maybe post a bit less too.
    Indeed. I always spent my time training before. Hence why I have 14 posts (this is my 15th). Rivington has >4,000, no wonder you can outpost me. Not that I needed any help to make myself look like an ass here.

If you (or anyone else who wants to cash the checks my mouth writes) want to book a sparring match with me next time you are in Cincinnati, OH, you are welcome to make the time to mop the floor with me. I never turn down a chance to learn.

Now, in this CIMA waste-land of a small midwest city, my (poor command of English) + (over-abundant free-time) + (Bullshido n00bieness) is getting me into trouble. I see I am not the first Bullshido n00b on this thread getting flamed for imprecise language anyway.

As you suggest, I will just go back to training and STFU. It is too bad it took me an afternoon to learn it, but it could be worse.

Like I said, it is stuff like this that brought me to Bullshido in the first place. Hopefully you guys can help me learn better English.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I revised my statement to this. Now that your dictionary definition is here for all to see, the most accurate description would be I was launched in a way which caused me to stumble backwards (in some cases stumbling many feet, up to 20). I also said the stumbling could be easily averted by just falling down, but sometimes I'd rather "run it out" than land on my arse.

You said practically the same thing:

And yet you are saying this isn't about semantics???

Anyway, I think more than this being about my ego, this is about accurate descriptions, which you are emphasizing. I also agree, otherwise I'd be defending my initial statement instead of revising it to a more accurate one. I don't know that revising my statement or answering your questions & remarks is really bragging or whining, but say what you will. Maybe you can go get us the dictionary definitions of these words too, and we will see you are Oh So Accurate.

I never said anything about my root, and I certainly wasn't bragging about getting easily tossed around. How could that be bragging? Because I said people who can't easily launch me around must not be that great of internal martial artists??

For all you know, I have no root whatsoever and am a total beginner. Without touching hands with me, all you can say for sure is that my descriptions are not as accurate as you would like them to be.

Ok ... Mr. Accurate Dictionary Descriptions ... the allegory in that context is when I said "like the floor had been removed from underneath you" --- an expression of an instance of symbolic fictional action.

So, I guess in online forums, sometimes people say things inaccurately.

I already said it is interactions like this why I joined Bullshido ... to have people like you help me be more clear in expressing my experiences relating to the martial arts. Thanks for the help.

But maybe YOU should spend some time carefully considering your dictionary broseph... Either way, who cares? It is like Omega said:

And back to Tony's video, which I knew you would poo-poo:

Agreed, and you could probably make a video of yourself doing those same cooperative parlor tricks that would look the same as Tony, right?

FWIW, he never calls himself Great Grandmaster or anything like that. If you watch the video, or read his website, you will see this is an honorary title he got from the SF Chapter of ATAMA (American Teachers Association of Martial Arts) ... and the title they gave him was actually even more ridiculous:

"Professor, Master Professor, and Grandmaster"

Either way, Mr. Accurate Descriptions, I would think you would also want to have accurate perceptions ... so what can you really learn about someone's internal martial arts or real-world fighting ability without touch?

I think we actually agree more than we disagree, and it seems to me your ego is at least as involved here as mine.

But in the end, I think we are both agree that the issue is more accurate descriptions, which I already noted you have the authority on.

For me, it is clear that my original description did not have suitable accuracy to be posted here on this forum, and I appreciate the commentary.
    I actually live near LA. You in LA right now? You are a caveman trying to describe a shooting star. What part of this did you not understand?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I actually live near LA. You in LA right now?
    No ... like I said:

I am not in LA anymore unfortunately ...

If you (or anyone else who wants to cash the checks my mouth writes) want to book a sparring match with me next time you are in Cincinnati, OH, you are welcome to make the time to mop the floor with me. I never turn down a chance to learn.
    But when I was there I did host weekly open martial arts practice groups & push hands practice groups in Santa Monica for the past 3 or 4 years. It is too bad that we just missed each other by <2 weeks. I literally just moved.

You are a caveman trying to describe a shooting star. What part of this did you not understand?
    I understood that clearly. I was implying that Rivington & I were both cavemen, but maybe I am the only caveman here.

Either way, next time I'm in LA I'll hit you up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 11:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ... like I said:

But when I was there I did host weekly open martial arts practice groups & push hands practice groups in Santa Monica for the past 3 or 4 years. It is too bad that we just missed each other by <2 weeks. I literally just moved.

I understood that clearly. I was implying that Rivington & I were both cavemen, but maybe I am the only caveman here.

Either way, next time I'm in LA I'll hit you up.
    I really ignored the rest of your posts as you chose to ignore my original comment. I do not know if Rivington is being a caveman, I was addressing you and your comments. It wasn't designed as an insult it was designed as a description of your understanding. You can't truly explain it so you interpret it as well as you can according to your limited understanding and experience.

*Edit:
    That first sentence isn't supposed to read like "well you did it so I'm going to do it too". I just don't know how to word it differently at this point. Maybe it should be two different sentences. Just don't take it the wrong way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really ignored the rest of your posts as you chose to ignore my original comment ... It wasn't designed as an insult it was designed as a description of your understanding. You can't truly explain it so you interpret it as well as you can according to your limited understanding and experience.
    LOLOL, no, I didn't ignore your comment, and I totally understood what you meant. And agreed.

I just ignorantly (or egotistically?) decided to keep being a caveman to try and come to some {caveman} understanding with the Riv.

Really, though, Omega Supreme, you were right on, and we could have closed the whole thread on that precise & accurate comment that was ~1/500th the length of Riv & my diatribes.

If I were to actually listen to the one teacher I referenced by name:

"All explanations are wrong. Taijiquan is a feeling."

Then I probably would have just kept my mouth shut (as I did up until 16 posts ago).

Live & learn. Like I said, what I should have said (if not nothing) would have been:

I was launched in a way which caused me to stumble backwards (in some cases stumbling many feet, up to 20) ... [and that] the stumbling could be easily averted by just falling down, but sometimes I'd rather "run it out" than land on my arse.
    Real talk. Caveman-style.

And the invite is still open to anyone in Cincinnati if you want to cash checks my mouth wrote here today. It's only fair for the time you wasted reading my poor excuse for written English.
    Last edited by Taijineigong; 4/20/2012 12:56am at . Reason: Edited for length ... I need to learn to say more with less words...
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617