Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 11:14am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A relevent series of articles is being started by Ellis Amdur on another forum where he'll talk about what he felt with various scenerio aikidoka. Link to first of the series

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Internal power" is nothing mystical. "Chi" is nothing mystical, it's just that the Chinese had no better term for "energy". (Same way a good boxing coach would tell you the "energy" should travel from your feet to your punch via the torque, CMA instructors would say the same but with the term "chi" for lack of a better vocabulary). Does that mean we're referring to some magical electromagnetic superpower? No.

Is it hard to generate this so called, "internal power"? Not really. It's just good physics. Once you get the concepts behind the structure, it's rather easy. (Application in sparring is rather difficult still, because you need to "set the structure" or "root"). I don't think the question should be "who has felt internal power?" but rather, "Who can apply internal power in a real fight?".

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you didn't bother to read the entire discussion? Also, please do more research . "Chi" has multiple meanings and thinking the Chinese had "no better term for energy" is quite ignorant of their culture.

Oh and stop the question is fine.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I didn't read the whole thread. Only got around to 3 pages.

Did I miss something that might make me sound a bit less like a noob? :D

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, your entire summation was covered about10-15 different times.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I see. Well then I won't beat a dead horse.

Ah, well reading back; Let's make it clear that I am Chinese. So I am well aware that terms like "li chi", "li liang" and others can also describe energy. Personally though (and it should be self evident that everyone is speaking for themselves, right?), I reject the whole mysticism. Can I accept philosophies such as chi being akin to life force? Sure. Do I believe that chi is like a super-power that you can find on wuxia television? Well, that's going to be harder to believe than a chunner being the next UFC heavyweight champ.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinaboxer_Will View Post
    Ah, I see. Well then I won't beat a dead horse.

Ah, well reading back; Let's make it clear that I am Chinese. So I am well aware that terms like "li chi", "li liang" and others can also describe energy.
    Then you should also know that various CMA masters also believe it is breath, force, blood etc etc etc etc and some say mystical.

In other words, there is no true definition for chi.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Then you should also know that various CMA masters also believe it is breath, force, blood etc etc etc etc and some say mystical.

In other words, there is no true defention for chi.
    Of course, breathing is important in chi kong (MA in general) is it not? Zhong I (Chinese medicine) sometimes refer to problems in the body's circulation as the "chi being unable to flow", so blood I can accept. Especially because I go to a zhong i often for minor injuries. "Force as in energy" I can agree, obviously.

I didn't mean to say that chi refers to *only* energy. Indeed, there are a lot of philosophical interpretations of chi as well. However, it is when they start getting into the "force as in Jedi powers" mentality that I head out the gym door.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense, but stop talking about Chinese Medicine like you actually know something.

You are just googling and using wiki for your info

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 9:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    No offense, but stop talking about Chinese Medicine like you actually know something.

You are just googling and using wiki for your info
    Did I ever claim I studied Chinese medicine? (The answer would be no, so there goes the strawman)

The only information I have about Zhong I practices is what they tell me when I visit them. I live in Taiwan, and it's about 3 times cheaper to visit a zhong i as opposed to a western clinic here (1000 yuan as opposed to 3500 yuan). And it's not like a zhong I is uncommon here, anyways.

And please, you really don't need Google to come up with this information. I take it you are familiar with the term "Swau I Tong chuan" right? Common term here. "Chi bu liao" or "Chi bu swuin hwan" - Common term/saying here. (Forgive me for the translations, but this keyboard can't do Chinese).

To say that I have no competence in Chinese medicine would not be incorrect. To say that I am making **** up is some what ignorant, seeing as I grew up in an area where it had just as much impact as any western medicine.