Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:26am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Priorities in the Gym

Hey all.
    I'm training 3 times a week in boxing, and in my spare time and energy i go to a regular gym to lift weights and such.
    The problem is, that boxing takes most of my time and i can only go once or twice at the most to the gym.
    I used to lift regularly 3 to 4 times a week and have separate sessions for packs, back and shoulder/legs, But now what? i have at best two times a week to lift weights and do some cardio.

My question is on what should i focus when at the gym, in-order to look fit and be a stronger boxer.
    (When at the boxing gym we have about 20 minutes of free time to lift weights and we have some basic classic gym equipment so i can do some stuff there as well, though im tired after an hour and a half of boxing class).
    I want to thank you in advance on your time and effort.
    Erez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 11:19am

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a full body workout i was doing that i guess you could break down into 2 days, though i'm not a boxing coach so i don't know how well it'd actually "enhance" your boxing ability, though it'd certainly make you a big mean looking mofo lol.

Anyways have you tried kettle bells? Not sure if your gym has them, but they're a great way to get alot of work done in a short period of time, and hit your entire body in one workout (obviously there's 350185 different workouts you could do with them). They'll hit your core especially hard as well. Might be something worth looking into.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 12:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much rest do you get between your lifting sessions? If it's at least 2 days in between (say like, Monday and Thursday), then I recommend doing a basic total body strength workout on each. If you're training boxing that frequently, you're probably getting a decent amount of your conditioning work there and don't need to focus on it in the gym. Hell, even if you're not, you can do conditioning work anywhere any time. If you're only getting 2 days in the gym, I'd strongly recommend you spend that time focused on getting stronger.

But that advice is based on having not very much information about your schedule, goals, current ability, all that kind of stuff. If you wanna post more detailed info about your routines and training availability, I can give you some more detailed advice.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    How much rest do you get between your lifting sessions? If it's at least 2 days in between (say like, Monday and Thursday), then I recommend doing a basic total body strength workout on each. If you're training boxing that frequently, you're probably getting a decent amount of your conditioning work there and don't need to focus on it in the gym. Hell, even if you're not, you can do conditioning work anywhere any time. If you're only getting 2 days in the gym, I'd strongly recommend you spend that time focused on getting stronger.

But that advice is based on having not very much information about your schedule, goals, current ability, all that kind of stuff. If you wanna post more detailed info about your routines and training availability, I can give you some more detailed advice.

First i want to thank you for your time and good advice.
    I train in boxing on Sunday Tuesday and Thursday. This means I basicly have the weekend and maybe another day say Monday to work in a regular gym. I do have kattlebells in my boxing gym as well as some other basic training equipment, other than that in my regular gym we don’t have any kattlebells, but it is a big and accessorized gym anyhow. After the boxing class that take about an houer and a half we have some 20 to 30 minutes of free time to work out, so I usually do stuff like pull-ups and sit ups. I can add some kattlebell stuff if my back and knees are not hurting.
    It will be realistic to train twice more if I already went 3 times to the boxing gym, if I missed a boxing class I usually will replace it with a regular workout that will be part aerobic (30 minutes run or biking) and then weight lifting and such.
    On those two days I guess it will be smart on focusing my energy on complementary stuff that will strengthen me in general.
    I wish to be strong and well developed something that fills a shirt nicely and at the same time gives me an edge in the boxing gym. I still think that because of my tendency to pack extra weight I should do some aerobics any time I work out. I have noticed that I get injuries if I keep it up like this for too long, and I suspect that it is because I don’t get to rest enough. I recently bought protein powder thinking it, might help.
    I would appreciate any advice on what and how.
    Erez.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 5:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For starters, look into proper technique for these 4 simple exercises: Barbell Squat (front squat is an acceptable variation), Deadlift, Bench Press, and Barbell Bent Rows. Get very strong and technically proficient at these, and that will make your foundation. Think of these as your equivalent to boxing's jab and cross. For now, don't worry about doing additional exercises too much. If you feel like you're not doing enough, do these more.

Otherwise, it sounds like my original post is probably pretty fitting. You're getting a lot of conditioning work, at least enough that spending your valuable gym time doing more conditioning would be a waste. Make your gym time about getting strong.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:27pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing boxing will make you a stronger boxer, i dont think most boxers lift weights to be fair, but if you want to lift weights to look "fitter" (i assume you mean bigger and more ALPHA) then this is my advice.

Don't lift weights after boxing as youll be glycogen depleted blah blah blah google for more indepth reasons and such.

If your lifting weights twice a week I would do something along the lines of

Back & chest and Legs & shoulders.

An example of the back & chest would be

Deadlifts 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    Bent rows 5 sets
    Flyes/dips/DB press/seated chest press 5 sets

On the last two, i dont reccomend a rep scheme as thats bullshit, the first two are big compounds that you want to progressively get stronger (add more weight) strength = size

On the last two I would focus on TUT (time under tension, read up about it, dont just shift the weight, feel the target muscles working) You may want to do less sets on the last two movements depending on your own recovery rate.

Also make sure you diet is good to help recover and make gains in both boxing and weightlifting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and as for the protein powder helping, yeah it will but its just that, PROTEIN, try get lots of it from food, use supps to help, maybe take some Whey and/or BCAA/EAA and some carbs pre and post workouts (on all your workouts) to help prevent burning muscle

Posted On:
    6/26/2011 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks allot im surprised a little about you recommending not to lift after a workout though..is it damaging? or just less productive?
    Ill start focusing on those exercises you recommended, i you tubed them to see proper technique.

Posted On:
    6/26/2011 9:48am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just typing to subscribe.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 9:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Thanks allot im surprised a little about you recommending not to lift after a workout though..is it damaging? or just less productive?
    Ill start focusing on those exercises you recommended, i you tubed them to see proper technique.
    In short, Yes.

It is both less productive and actually more likely to hinder you and make you lose muscle.

After doing a heavy intense workout like boxing or the likes your body will be depleated of glycogen and you will be in a catabolic state, weight lifting is also catabolic.

You also wont be able to lift as intensely after your boxing.

If you want a more indepth reason why not, join a realy bodybuilding/weightlifting forum as i cant be arsed to google search an answer for you :LOLnotext:

Building muscle works like this, you need Rest - Diet - Stimulus (weight lifting)... if one of them is missing or lacking it wont work.