Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing & Thai Boxing

I've got my first boxing session coming up this Friday. I mainly want it for getting fit but also want to learn some good defense techniques should the need ever occur.

Now, I'm liking the look of thai boxing too mainly due to knees/low kicks as I have a history of TKD which means I do tend to instinctly want to use my legs a lot.

So the question is, could I do both boxing and thai boxing without any conflict arrising? Or is is best to just do the one? If its best which one?

Cheers

Style
    MT, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was an issue with me for a while. See, I started my striking training in boxing, at a young age. After a while I moved to Muay Thai, it's definitely more well rounded and seemingly better suited to realistic fighting. Thing is though, after a few years of Thai boxing, I still tended to rely very heavily on my hands, going so far as to employ more dirty boxing than knees in the clinch. And that was a problem, because I wasn't getting so much practice in boxing, so the technique of my bread and butter was kind of slipping. I feel that I picked up tons of useful techniques from Muay Thai, but the fact is that I really enjoy punching people, and most things come secondary to that.

That's just me though, I guess it depends on how you like to fight. My training strategy now is to kind of bounce back and forth between boxing and MT, and I'm sure if you have the time, taking them both wouldn't hurt. As long as the training is good, you'll only back the weaknesses of both methods. Muay Thai is a little weak in footwork and punching, and boxing obviously doesn't have kicks, knees or elbows.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxing in MT ranges from rudementary to pretty good (Dutch schools, cross competing Thais). Western Kickboxers are better Boxers IMO.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    MT, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    . Western Kickboxers are better Boxers IMO.
    I'd have to disagree, for the same reason Judo newaza is usually inferior to BJJ.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    I'd have to disagree, for the same reason Judo newaza is usually inferior to BJJ.
    Oh right, I forgot about the pin rule in Kickboxing(!)

Judo newaza is usually inferior to BJJ for the exact same reason MT hands are usually inferior to Western Kickboxing hands: WKB has fewer weapons and more time is spent on the hands, where as MT has a focus on elbows, knees, throwing, clinchwork, etc. You do not need great hands to be a great Nak Muay.

Here's two top guys:

YouTube - Roufus vs Kietsongrit Round One
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/13/2009 12:26pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, cheers. Well heres my options (the best my googling could muster)

Boxing: http://www.ultraboxing.co.uk/index.html
    Thai Boxing: http://www.bushido-mma.co.uk/timetable.html
    Kickboxing: http://www.eastmidlandskickboxing.com/ / http://phoenixkickboxingnottm.co.uk/

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sn247 View Post
    ...I mainly want it for getting fit but also want to learn some good defense techniques should the need ever occur...

...I have a history of TKD which means I do tend to instinctly want to use my legs a lot...
    If you have the time, money, and inclination to do both, go for it. The best case scenario for you would be to join a gym like mine that has both boxing and Muay Thai trainers. Sometimes I feel like my hands are getting sloppy, and a boxing session or two will help tighten things up.

If you have to choose one, I'd recommend Muay Thai. Your TKD experience will help you learn it. (Just keep your hands up, OK?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    If you have the time, money, and inclination to do both, go for it. The best case scenario for you would be to join a gym like mine that has both boxing and Muay Thai trainers. Sometimes I feel like my hands are getting sloppy, and a boxing session or two will help tighten things up.

If you have to choose one, I'd recommend Muay Thai. Your TKD experience will help you learn it. (Just keep your hands up, OK?)

The hands up rule is REALLY something I'm not used to so will probably take me a while to get used to it! Whenever I sparred in TKD it was hands down. Takes a bit of effort now to keep on guard lol

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, cheers. Well heres my options (the best my googling could muster)

Boxing: http://www.ultraboxing.co.uk/index.html
    Seems to be boxercise.
    Pretty sure Paul Daley and Dan Hardy are/were associated with this place. I would definitely give them a look.
    Look unconvincing from the website, to be honest.

You might try asking this question on http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/ for a more detailed response.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 5/13/2009 12:53pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Seems to be boxercise.
    Pretty sure Paul Daley and Dan Hardy are/were associated with this place. I would definitely give them a look.
    Look unconvincing from the website, to be honest.

You might try asking this question on http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/ for a more detailed response.[/quote]

The boxercise thing is what I thought too!

I've emailed the bloke and he said theres opportunity to be entered into bouts and sparring if you want it. But he said he chooses not to advertise the contact side as its optional and some people are put off by it?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last