--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Portland Thai Boxing

Portland Thai Boxing

I'm really interested in joining this gym and have even visited to observe on of their classes. The lead instructor seemed really nice and told me to come back again to actually participate in a class. I have really high hopes for this gym and would like to join it but I am apprehensive about how much it will cost.

Does anyone know for sure how much tuition costs at PTB?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by branseraf View Post
    ..and have even visited to observe on of their classes.

Does anyone know for sure how much tuition costs at PTB?
    Most people would have asked that question whilst they were there at the gym.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to follow up without sounding like a newbie basher, you'll just have to call them up and ask.

Most gyms will charge different rates for different classes and since they teach different disciplines there and you didn't specifically say which class you were interested in, just call them up and ask.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you call and they are hesitant to share their pricing structure with you don't run the other way, that could just be a very normal business decision that they have made due to heavy competition in the area. You sound like you enjoyed your first visit there, so if it takes another visit to get pricing, just do it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sure, don't make it easy, lol.

I should have just asked but it would have felt weird to bring prices up when first meeting the instructor. When I visited there wasn't any mention of it. I just don't want to get sucked into a contract. I've had a bad experience with them at a previous martial arts school.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to man up, these places are businesses and if they act like they are insulted when you bring prices up in person then they are up to something.

Just do it. They wont mind and your just putting off training.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bringing up money when you first meet someone isn't really polite.

I just want to weed out the schools that are businesses for the sake of making money or schools that are business of teaching martial arts.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by branseraf View Post
    Bringing up money when you first meet someone isn't really polite.
    This is a gym ( and a business ) we're talking about, not a girl on a first date.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyways, just got back from doing one of their classes. It was a lot of fun and different from the kajukenbo I studied a few years ago.

Afterwards the head instructor and I went upstairs and he showed me the different price options. There aren't any enrollment fees or any bs like that just the straight up tuition. If I sign up now I have access to the other programs they offer with no additional cost. There is a 3 month buyout option if I decide to quit for any reason, which is nice I guess.

Now I just need to decide if I want to commit to one year or not. There is also a 6 month, 3 month, and month-month payment but those go up in price. I have somewhat limited funds but the one year membership is just under $100/month.