Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:42am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BBC "Our War" Afghanistan

Part 1 of 3. It may be of interest to you States-side. Infantry in Now Zad.

http://youtu.be/DYvHiDMMtOw

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 12:40pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much. Do you have any idea where the other two parts are to be found?

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 1:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very good series this.

I was thinking while watching the latest episode how it highlighted somethings about the British army, in particular, the sense of humour of the officer straight out of the public school common room to the deserts of Afghanistan. Also how differently our troops carry themselves when on camera compared to Americans. British troops seem much more relaxed and at ease than Americans who seem to constantly be very earnest and serious and constantly talking about how impressive evrything about them and what they're doing is.

Its also quite amazing and indeed appaling to think what has probably been recorded on those cameras. People's last moments, devastating injuries, civilian casualties, acts of outstanding bravery and moments of stupidity. Will be a fascinating resource for future historians, we'll probably understand the experienes of life for troops during the Afghan war better than any other war in history.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any idea where the other two parts are to be found?
    You can watch it on youtube, the 3rd part is not being aired till next week.
    http://youtu.be/nzzhQYGHkmA

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched the BBC documentary on youtube 'The Fallen'. They interview Christopher Gray's mother whilst she's watching the footage of them trying and failing to rescue her son. I'm sure you can imagine how distressed she is.

It put me off watching stuff like this any more.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 7:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It probably is the best programme made about the latest Afghan war, it has made me respect the soldiers even more but what a fucking stupid war, 10 years of fighting and all that can be shown for it is that Hamid Karzai is still president.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Very good series this.

I was thinking while watching the latest episode how it highlighted somethings about the British army, in particular, the sense of humour of the officer straight out of the public school common room to the deserts of Afghanistan. Also how differently our troops carry themselves when on camera compared to Americans. British troops seem much more relaxed and at ease than Americans who seem to constantly be very earnest and serious and constantly talking about how impressive evrything about them and what they're doing is.
    That's because the Brits get to drink. Several deployments have taught me that if you need to toss back a few find Brits, French, German, or Russian soldiers. Not only do they have the hooch they are always willing to share.

Seriously though Americans can be just as laid back, or even more. We just have a lot stricter guidelines on what you are supposed to say or do on camera.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The British service people I know don't have any complaints about the Americans they've worked with in real life, beyond basically friendly ribbing with stereotypes about them being gung ho and noisy.

Ironically, they also all seemed to agree that American military food was foul and unhealthy. I know you're going to laugh hearing a British person say that.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 12:27pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Ironically, they also all seemed to agree that American military food was foul and unhealthy. I know you're going to laugh hearing a British person say that.
    My roommate in college was/is in the Army and ended up giving me a steady stream of MREs.

My gastro-intestinal system did punish me for those abuses.

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 12:42pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    You can watch it on youtube, the 3rd part is not being aired till next week.
    http://youtu.be/nzzhQYGHkmA
    Indeed, the second episode is kindly provided by Ty5 above. I nearly put both in but wasn't sure if the first one would be rejected. Anyway, it's the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards and a good insight into how a battalion interacts.

The 3rd episode airs tomorrow on BBC3.

All in all, it's an unusual series as we tend to very cautious in the portrayal of the military. So, it's rare indeed that such a series should be commissioned. We are much less open than the US military in such things (and US Police and Prisons for that matter). Grim but essential viewing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast