218282 Bullies, 8805 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first Group3 months registered

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 5:29pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Python and Skeletor: How much emphasis is placed on weapons retention in regular police DT training?

One of my KM instructors trains LEOs, and she's always harping on weapons retention and being conscious of one's weapons at all times. From what I've seen, many of them step and position themselves in such ways that they end up putting themselves in places where an assailant could steal their gun or taser.

Ever see this in your students?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really know what to make of Shodokan Aikido. It's unlike most everything else in that it has randori with and without a knife. I'm not aware of any other competition that features this (any FMA, perhaps?). However, the defenders often seem to take a lot of knifing before they can execute a technique; and that's if they do.

There seem to be few vids with just empty handed competition, I wonder if that has more to offer?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 6:39pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    I don't really know what to make of Shodokan Aikido. It's unlike most everything else in that it has randori with and without a knife. I'm not aware of any other competition that features this (any FMA, perhaps?). However, the defenders often seem to take a lot of knifing before they can execute a technique; and that's if they do.

There seem to be few vids with just empty handed competition, I wonder if that has more to offer?
    The founder of Shodokan Aikido was also a black belt in Judo. Kenji Tomiki was a black belt in Judo before he started training in Aikido so that is why this style of Aikido has some randori. The knife stuff is horrible though as you probably seen in the videos.

Yours truly

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 6:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest thing I took from Hapkido (which would be similar to aikido) was well, learning how to kick very well, and breaking shitty arm grabs and stuff. I guess the kicks are the korean part. Also I've used a few select aikido/hapkido techniques not taught in Judo/BJJ to put guys in armlocks but it requires dumb moves like grabbing my collar and twisting it up, etc, like T-Python said. Its also helped me learn parries and stuff, but i had to work on integrating it a lot.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 6:59pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    To Python and Skeletor: How much emphasis is placed on weapons retention in regular police DT training?

One of my KM instructors trains LEOs, and she's always harping on weapons retention and being conscious of one's weapons at all times. From what I've seen, many of them step and position themselves in such ways that they end up putting themselves in places where an assailant could steal their gun or taser.

Ever see this in your students?
    The gun retention they taught at my academy was developed by an Aikido instructor who used to work for the department so it was crap. I teach gun retention but is is mostly based off my BJJ background. Once you learn what the body can or can not do you have an idea what will work as far as gun retention goes.

In gun retention you have two main things you must do at the same time.

1. You have to keep the gun in the holster.
    2. You must be in a position where the suspect can't knock you out with a punch.

For instance most gun retention techniques I see is to place both hands on the suspects hand. Well this seems the right thing to do to someone with no martial arts background but to us we think what is to stop him from punching the cop in the jaw and knocking his ass out if both of his hands are occupied and not in a position avoid the punch.

There a lot of gun retention stuff that I have seen that would not work or it puts the LEO in a bad position. I have developed gun retention techniques that I show in my LEO seminars. I have good reviews on them as well.

I personally carried a knife on my weak side so I could deploy it once the suspect grabbed my gun. I would simply stick the suspect in the neck if it it came to that. I even told this to a group of cops I did a seminar for and their jaws dropped as if I committed some crime. I guess they were not ready for that yet but I figured using a knife was easier and more effective.

1% Shark is better than you.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 7:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I shouldn't be focusing on getting proper hip to hip distance.
    Anyone who ever says this about anything is an idiot and should be avoided/discounted. Your hips and their hips are pretty much the be all end all of everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my biggest problem with these self defense things is not what they teach, its what they dont. i would say peoples biggest problem with self defense, especially if they have never been in a fight before, is getting hit. the people i train get hit, a lot, and hard, to learn what to do when they get hit.

if youve never been hit before and someone punches you, you **** your pants and curl up. end of story.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 8:17pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have instructors who are LEOs at my dojo, as well as students. While we train primarily in Kyokushin, they usually grapple with each other after class, and work on firearm defense, both dealing with keeping their firearms under control, and dealing with firearms in close quarters if there's no other choice. For the LEOs, the training here has a bit of a different focus- they don't care about tournaments nearly as much as staying alive, heh.

Got my ass kicked by an Aikidoka friend of mine who is a 4th dan. I was compliant, but I honestly would not want to get in a fight with him. It has it's uses. One of my instructors has also said "have some Aikido!" in the middle of kumite and thrown me on my ass, heh!

'Course after my Aikidoka friend kicked my ass, he said "Ev, I've studied the martial arts for a long time, and I've come to the conclusion that if you really want to be a complete, well-rounded, EFFECTIVE fighter, you have to learn one thing especiall- how to grapple."

Heh.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 8:51pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    The gun retention they taught at my academy was developed by an Aikido instructor who used to work for the department so it was crap. I teach gun retention but is is mostly based off my BJJ background. Once you learn what the body can or can not do you have an idea what will work as far as gun retention goes.

In gun retention you have two main things you must do at the same time.

1. You have to keep the gun in the holster.
    2. You must be in a position where the suspect can't knock you out with a punch.

For instance most gun retention techniques I see is to place both hands on the suspects hand. Well this seems the right thing to do to someone with no martial arts background but to us we think what is to stop him from punching the cop in the jaw and knocking his ass out if both of his hands are occupied and not in a position avoid the punch.

There a lot of gun retention stuff that I have seen that would not work or it puts the LEO in a bad position. I have developed gun retention techniques that I show in my LEO seminars. I have good reviews on them as well.

I personally carried a knife on my weak side so I could deploy it once the suspect grabbed my gun. I would simply stick the suspect in the neck if it it came to that. I even told this to a group of cops I did a seminar for and their jaws dropped as if I committed some crime. I guess they were not ready for that yet but I figured using a knife was easier and more effective.
    Since you're a police officer, whats your take on Wrestling or wrestling moves adapted into an RSBD type of environment? Freestyle wrestling, greco roman, the real deal stuff.

Yours truly

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 10:34pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit WS, you make it seem like I said what you quoted!

I decided to avoid/ignore that guy after I realized his discussions on how to deal with hand to hand situations were described as generalized as "open palm strikes" and "pressure points" However I do still listen to him when it comes to shooting.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast