Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 1:37pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the part at 1:50 where he shows you how to defend against a mime. Also I'm a big believer in the use of low kicks but what he does at 3:00 was an embarassment. You sure this isn't just a preview for the 3 stooges remake?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 2:29pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    Obviously, many of the RBSD courses offered by the experts in the OP are too deadly to spar with.

Or so they say.
    RBSD is funny because they often promote techniques which are very hard to pull off, and then teach those techniques to people who are not used to pulling off anything.

My grandfather never trained in anything, but he grew up and lived in some rough rural areas and survived (won) numerous fights against big dangerous (sometimes multiple) opponents. His secret? He mostly wore boots, and he would kick their knees...hard. He once dropped a Native American fellow about twice his size who'd backed him into a small bathroom at the tavern and was definitely fixing to mess him up good. Push kick to the knee, broke ****, guy went down. And I'm pretty sure that my grandpa never drilled this technique...if he had, he could have undoubtedly been even more effective.

Gee, it's too bad that there aren't any martial arts which teach effective kicking techniques.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Just because that they are a LEO does not make them experts either. It all depends on what style of martial art they train in.
    Brother...I've been doing the cop thing for 20 years. This is SO MUCH the truth. Most cops are ignorant when it comes to actual firearms laws in of themselves. If you actually think about it, most cops don't really deal with guns all the time---and most don't do any additional firearms training that isn't mandated by their workplace. Thusly, most private citizens who are firearms enthusiasts or casual target shooters know more about the operation, maintenance, and usage of modern firearms than your average police officer. Hell, I can't even get my co-workers to come out to the range on "open range day" where we PROVIDE FREE AMMUNITION for them to shoot with. It's really a sad testament towards the profession, when you think about it.

This is also applicable to martial arts training. The watered down self-defense crap that we're taught in basic academy is by and large, a big, steaming pile of crap. A lot of it is just dangerous enough to compromise officer safety and get you seriously hurt. And let's be honest...while we are always cuffing, wrestling around, and fighting people on the street--we put more emphasis (ha!) on firearms training...when most cops go their entire careers without shooting somebody), but with Defensive Tactics (your personal Kung Fu), we're always locking up joints, executing take-downs, and fighting on the ground trying to cuff somebody....yet there is really no mandated in-services or quals/re-quals for defensive tactics, which is kind of strange.
    Last edited by Lord Skeletor; 6/20/2011 3:17pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 3:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.
    My friend was in the KNP (Korea National Police) as part of his conscript service; you can do it instead of the military. He said everoyne had to go through Judo training for a few months. He said you can also pick a extra-curricular activity for the duration that you work for the police, and subjects were very varied; accounting, industrial technologies, etc etc. He picked accupressure massage (WTF?) but many picked "judo."

I was delighted to hear this because I think you can pick up some very useful stuff within a few months in Judo if you train hard.

Unfortunately, he told me that the basic judo training went like this: spent the first month learning break-fall, and the second month learning one throw. Although I think if they learned that throw well its useful, judging from what my friend is like, that is untrue.

This probably has more to do with Korean yudo training methodology more than anything else.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 4:14pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Unfortunately, he told me that the basic judo training went like this: spent the first month learning break-fall, and the second month learning one throw. Although I think if they learned that throw well its useful, judging from what my friend is like, that is untrue.

This probably has more to do with Korean yudo training methodology more than anything else.
    Well I think that would probably be better than learning a bunch of throws in a month because then they wouldn't be able to do any of them at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 4:30pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Brother...I've been doing the cop thing for 20 years. This is SO MUCH the truth. Most cops are ignorant when it comes to actual firearms laws in of themselves. If you actually think about it, most cops don't really deal with guns all the time---and most don't do any additional firearms training that isn't mandated by their workplace. Thusly, most private citizens who are firearms enthusiasts or casual target shooters know more about the operation, maintenance, and usage of modern firearms than your average police officer. Hell, I can't even get my co-workers to come out to the range on "open range day" where we PROVIDE FREE AMMUNITION for them to shoot with. It's really a sad testament towards the profession, when you think about it.

This is also applicable to martial arts training. The watered down self-defense crap that we're taught in basic academy is by and large, a big, steaming pile of crap. A lot of it is just dangerous enough to compromise officer safety and get you seriously hurt. And let's be honest...while we are always cuffing, wrestling around, and fighting people on the street--we put more emphasis (ha!) on firearms training...when most cops go their entire careers without shooting somebody), but with Defensive Tactics (your personal Kung Fu), we're always locking up joints, executing take-downs, and fighting on the ground trying to cuff somebody....yet there is really no mandated in-services or quals/re-quals for defensive tactics, which is kind of strange.
    I hear you man I have worked with some real winners. I have seen a few cops straight freeze up when a fight ensued. I also know a few that should not be allowed to carry a fucking gun. It is a sad fact that not all cops are created equal. I have cops hit me up all the time about my academy but very few ever show up. It seems that softball or golf are more important for most cops than seeking some outside training.

I agree on the DT or firearms training they receive in the basic academy. It is just not going provide LEO's the right type of training for the modern world. The individuals that are in charge of training have no clue what works. They get these proposals from these so called expert companies that provide training for LEO's and think that they are the answer. I have had arguments with supervisors on this topic many times and they just don't get it.

I live and breath training it is my life style and I have been in many fights on duty. Not to brag but I have never got a scratch just some torn uniforms. I owe this to the right kind of training I did over the years.

It is my goal to provide training to cops. We had a deputy get his baton taken away from and had his face smashed in with it. I knew this deputy he was a real nice person and he helped me out a lot on my TC investigations. The piece of **** that killed him was 5150 and I had dealt with this **** many times prior to this incident. I wished it would had been me that he would have attacked because I would have been prepared for him.

Unfortunately the deputy that was killed was weak in his fighting skills and he even one time failed baton training and had to re-qualify. It was sad for us but this incident still did not wake people up and it did not change anything we did at the academy.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/20/2011 4:34pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a related question for you LEO trainers out there:

There's this guy who comes to FMA training every so often, and he's a defensive tactics instructor. He seems like the real deal too: he's very good at martial arts, he gets sent to various countries to help out with training, and he's missing one of his index fingers from a gunfight. My teacher also teaches some other cops, and they all get along.

Anyway, this guy is also an aikido instructor, and sometimes when we're drilling, he drops some really interesting tidbits. All the aikido stuff he's explained are very sensible and make a lot of sense, and he's the only person that's made me think that aikido may be worthwhile.

What do you trainer types think of aikido training? Generally it looks overly complicated to me, and almost always lacks the sparring you guys advocate. This guy's kinda got me wondering.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe we can start some sort of training reform.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

There's this guy who comes to FMA training every so often, and he's a defensive tactics instructor. He seems like the real deal too: he's very good at martial arts, he gets sent to various countries to help out with training, and he's missing one of his index fingers from a gunfight. My teacher also teaches some other cops, and they all get along.

Anyway, this guy is also an aikido instructor, and sometimes when we're drilling, he drops some really interesting tidbits. All the aikido stuff he's explained are very sensible and make a lot of sense, and he's the only person that's made me think that aikido may be worthwhile.

What do you trainer types think of aikido training? Generally it looks overly complicated to me, and almost always lacks the sparring you guys advocate. This guy's kinda got me wondering.
    You know, Aikido is like universally put down in Bullshido but I personally see some aspects of it that are useful, and have met some people who put it to use effectively. Albeit all of the examples I've experienced were people who held ranks in Judo and used different parts of each art.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 5:08pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

Well I have read a few books on Aikido and even tried it out when I was a kid. My father currently trains in Aikdio and has been doing it for several years. The one thing about Aikido is that it can work against what I call "Committed Attacks" meaning a guy throws a single hard punch to your face and puts everything into to it. However if the guy decides to move around and throw jabs to set up a right cross then Aikido would probably not work as well. Plus they have no techniques for the ground either and they don't spar which makes it useless in my book.

Aikido like other TMA's can work against a committed attack but when the opponent is using feints and fakes and moves around like a boxer then they have a hard time dealing with this type of attacks.

It is the same with knife attacks. If a guy comes at you with a single attack like holding the knife in an ice pick grip and aims for your neck then any martial art counter would work probably work but if the attacker moves around and uses several feints and fakes to get you to open up then you are fucked. That is why sparring is important no matter what martial art.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast