Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    This one guy asked everyone what a solution to someone choking you from behind is. I told him the standard chin in, deal with the arms while making distance at the hips so you don't get straightened up, and if you're lucky enough to get the choke sort of off of you you may be able to throw him. He responds that I'm wrong, and the only sure way to get the choke off of you is to use pressure points, and that I shouldn't be focusing on getting proper hip to hip distance.
    In my limited experience, I find some people are difficult to impossible to get with pressure points even in a fully compliant exercise. I would add the caveat that I may suck, but it's a problem that appears to occur at all skill levels. Maybe this has something to do with the physiology particular to an individual?

This weekend RBSDD (deadly defense?) course reminds me of those TESOL/TEFL 2 day crash courses that exist for reasons no greater than to aquire a piece of pretty paper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    In my limited experience, I find some people are difficult to impossible to get with pressure points even in a fully compliant exercise. I would add the caveat that I may suck, but it's a problem that appears to occur at all skill levels.
    I've only ever met one guy who could do it on everyone he met in compliant drills. He was in 91 years old and teaching martial arts and doing acupuncture/acupressure his entire life so maybe he is the wrong example to give.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The RBSD trainers are trying to teach some short cut techniques that may or may not be applicable to situations a LEO may come in contact with. Unfortunately, there is a hell of a lot of theory about kuzushi, centering, and a myriad of other things that a martial artist learns that a three day class doesn't even begin to address. I wonder what techniques would be worth teaching that didn't include a basic understanding of body movement, off balance, etc. It seems to me no matter what was shown, it would be pretty unlikely that anyone would come away with any substantial skills. It would be interesting to take a course to see what they teach and if there is anything that is worth the fees.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:23pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love living in Phoenix. No CCW needed to carry if you live here and have a clean record. :) LS, I agree with Kali as a style for self defense. It's impossible to find for me, though.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    In my limited experience, I find some people are difficult to impossible to get with pressure points even in a fully compliant exercise. I would add the caveat that I may suck, but it's a problem that appears to occur at all skill levels. Maybe this has something to do with the physiology particular to an individual?

This weekend RBSDD (deadly defense?) course reminds me of those TESOL/TEFL 2 day crash courses that exist for reasons no greater than to aquire a piece of pretty paper.
    Yeah, my sister did a real one, and those take a full semester. Oh, and she was billingual to start with. That piece of paper is worth something.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/19/2011 10:36pm at .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:31pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    I've only ever met one guy who could do it on everyone he met in compliant drills. He was in 91 years old and teaching martial arts and doing acupuncture/acupressure his entire life so maybe he is the wrong example to give.
    That soudns like my hapkido master. Except I still don't see how it works on a full chokehold. What is he going to do, get one arm, and get the other arm, meanwhile while he goes unconscious in 3 seconds or less?

The closest thing I've seen to it working was against shitty techniques. Like bad bear hugs from behind and stuff. Even then, I think teaching small joint manipulation is much better for a few day class.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/19/2011 10:35pm at .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:37pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a common problem that perpetuates through students of these types of courses. See also, RBSD DVD.

I had a muck around spar with a mate who had watched hours upon hours of this RBSD DVD collection, telling me that my limited experience in martial arts at the time would have no effect on his badassery due to the DVDs. I have documented it here before but basically he grabbed a kick (TKD fail on my behalf) and when he went to twist it I was lucky enough to know what he was doing and twisted the right way with it and going to ground (I ain't Jet Li). I had hold of his arm when suddenly he stopped, telling me that I was on the ground and I would be dead because of it. No amount of assurance from me would convince him that going to ground in a fight was not an automatic death sentence.

RBSD quick fixes suck dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:39pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    The RBSD trainers are trying to teach some short cut techniques that may or may not be applicable to situations a LEO may come in contact with. Unfortunately, there is a hell of a lot of theory about kuzushi, centering, and a myriad of other things that a martial artist learns that a three day class doesn't even begin to address. I wonder what techniques would be worth teaching that didn't include a basic understanding of body movement, off balance, etc. It seems to me no matter what was shown, it would be pretty unlikely that anyone would come away with any substantial skills. It would be interesting to take a course to see what they teach and if there is anything that is worth the fees.

Yeah it is imposible to do so. When I do seminars it is usually for people that already have a martial arts background, however this is not always feasible. I do have an easy course on striking that I put on for women and guys with no striking experience. The ground or grappling I teach is very basic but even that is stretching it.

I have done classes for military, security and law enforcement personnel and maybe half of those individuals probably forgot what I showed 2 months later. It is hard to teach something they might be able retain over a long period. I always advise that they join a legit school and train on a regular basis in order for them to really learn how to protect themselves. However people want the easy way out and just train here or there and expect that to be good enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Yeah, my sister did a real one, and those take a full semester. Oh, and she was billingual to start with. That piece of paper is worth something.
    Cool, I'll be doing mine this fall. Now if only I can dodge the Eikaiwa...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:50pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one important thing I learned from BJJ is that sparring is the most important part of training. No matter if is stick fighting, knife fighting, ground fighting or stand-up fighting. If I develop a technique and I can't pull it off while sparring then I don't add it in my list of techniques.

For instant if I come up with a gun take away technique I will do it against a live resistant opponent to make sure that technique would really work. If I don't do this then I might fail with that technique because I never tested it in real life.

I have arguments all the time with various individuals that teach knife fighting or RBSD martial arts. The first thing I ask them is if they spar with what they teach. I usually get an answer that their techniques are too deadly to spar with or that they do a mild type of sparring....whatever the **** that means.

That is a big clue for me right there that they don't know if their **** will actually work.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/19/2011 10:53pm at .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast