Posted On:
    6/19/2011 4:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

RSBD Defense courses

So whats the deal with these?

I've heard some really stupid crap from supposedly expert h2h LEO guys preaching about self defense hand to hand tactics. Usually they charge like 150-250 dollars so you can go learn some supposedly 100% effective skill in one or two days. WTF? Spend that money on your local judo school. Good 5-12 month membership right there.

This one guy asked everyone what a solution to someone choking you from behind is. I told him the standard chin in, deal with the arms while making distance at the hips so you don't get straightened up, and if you're lucky enough to get the choke sort of off of you you may be able to throw him. He responds that I'm wrong, and the only sure way to get the choke off of you is to use pressure points, and that I shouldn't be focusing on getting proper hip to hip distance.

He fails to account for that I have black belts in hapkido, where pressure points are emphasized, yet that I would not rely on them to get a choke off of me. If I was to remind him that for almost 15 years of my 25 year old short-ass life, I've spent at least 30 minutes a day every single day (averaged out of course) training in martial arts, he'd say something like "you've never been in the streets before" and fall back on his 20+ or whatever years of LEO experience.. ironically he'd be wrong in that I've had a few encounters where I had to deal with real, unarmed physical threats.

A part of me wanted to spend the 150-250 he was asking for and prove him wrong, oh so wrong, but I see no gains in humiliating someone respected on a CCW/defense forum that I had just recently joined. I hope if he ever gets choked from behind by someone who even remotely knows what he is doing, that his pressure points will work.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think anyone should ever go to one of those stupid classes and spend that money on a proper dojo membership. They may be really good at teaching you how to shoot defensively, how to be ready for some deadly encounter on the street, but H2H, cavaet emptor. I know some RSBD instructors on this board would be more than capable of schooling anyone on H2H, but those seem so few and far between.

Funny thing is, my master at one of the schools where my BB in HKD comes from taught the Korean national police swat team in H2H combat. Sadly I can probably go in there today and clean house with most of those guys, maybe except a few dudes who hold BBs in Judo before they joined up.

So what gives? Do you guys think I'm correct in my assessment, or do you think I just saw a small sample and incorrectly made assumptions? I'm kinda concerned how misinformed the public will be through people like that, but I guess this is actually nothing new in the world of martial arts.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:52am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shouldn't this be in YMAS? Also, it's RBSD and adding "Defense" after it is redundant because it stands for Reality Based Self Defense. Your choice of Judo is the better one in my opinion.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, "they" say that there are lots of nonsense RBSD people out there training police officers, etc., so I guess this is just another example.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only "reality-based" self defense you should be thinking about is learning how to attack with a gun, knife, or stick. There is no real defense against a person with a firearm, unless you have a firearm and knowledge of superior tactics and having a prepared mindset so that you don't put yourself into a situation where you can be ambushed or attacked on poor ground.

Sure...I would fight with a knife if I had no choice or no access to a firearm, but I try to ensure that no matter where I go...I have a firearm. If I don't have a gun, I'll have a knife....if I have neither...I get what I deserve and I'll try to find a stick (or club). If I can avoid conflict without endangering myself (or others), hell...I'll do that. But developing a system of martial arts around "da streetz" seems to me more like a solution searching for a problem. I dunno. Knives/short swords are great in close quarters and if you're skilled with one, you can quickly wreak a hell of a lot of havoc, I'm here to tell you. In nearly every normal state (Ha, I said NORMAL...not places like MD, NY, MS, IL, CA, etc. being attacked by groups of people is likely to result in death or serious bodily injury...thus opening the door for the use of a firearm...so again, I'm rooting for the use of a gun. LOL

As far as martial arts go...I'm there for jiu-jitsu and the Filipino arts.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 12:37pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    As far as martial arts go...I'm there for jiu-jitsu and the Filipino arts.
    “Clinch and stab” and/or “pin and stab,” now that is reality based!

By the way, I'm starting to consider a CHL in my future; I may start a thread on the subject.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I applied about 45 days ago. Still waiting. Should be processed any day now!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, when the apocalypse comes, and I finally run out of ammo, next I will use a German longsword. Go big or go home. XD
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 8:34pm

Style: Watching from the stands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Well, when the apocalypse comes, and I finally run out of ammo, next I will use a German longsword. Go big or go home. XD
    I'll be using a Scottish claymore. And yes, I'll be wearing a kilt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 8:54pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    So whats the deal with these?

I've heard some really stupid crap from supposedly expert h2h LEO guys preaching about self defense hand to hand tactics. Usually they charge like 150-250 dollars so you can go learn some supposedly 100% effective skill in one or two days. WTF? Spend that money on your local judo school. Good 5-12 month membership right there.

This one guy asked everyone what a solution to someone choking you from behind is. I told him the standard chin in, deal with the arms while making distance at the hips so you don't get straightened up, and if you're lucky enough to get the choke sort of off of you you may be able to throw him. He responds that I'm wrong, and the only sure way to get the choke off of you is to use pressure points, and that I shouldn't be focusing on getting proper hip to hip distance.

He fails to account for that I have black belts in hapkido, where pressure points are emphasized, yet that I would not rely on them to get a choke off of me. If I was to remind him that for almost 15 years of my 25 year old short-ass life, I've spent at least 30 minutes a day every single day (averaged out of course) training in martial arts, he'd say something like "you've never been in the streets before" and fall back on his 20+ or whatever years of LEO experience.. ironically he'd be wrong in that I've had a few encounters where I had to deal with real, unarmed physical threats.

A part of me wanted to spend the 150-250 he was asking for and prove him wrong, oh so wrong, but I see no gains in humiliating someone respected on a CCW/defense forum that I had just recently joined. I hope if he ever gets choked from behind by someone who even remotely knows what he is doing, that his pressure points will work.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think anyone should ever go to one of those stupid classes and spend that money on a proper dojo membership. They may be really good at teaching you how to shoot defensively, how to be ready for some deadly encounter on the street, but H2H, cavaet emptor. I know some RSBD instructors on this board would be more than capable of schooling anyone on H2H, but those seem so few and far between.

Funny thing is, my master at one of the schools where my BB in HKD comes from taught the Korean national police swat team in H2H combat. Sadly I can probably go in there today and clean house with most of those guys, maybe except a few dudes who hold BBs in Judo before they joined up.

So what gives? Do you guys think I'm correct in my assessment, or do you think I just saw a small sample and incorrectly made assumptions? I'm kinda concerned how misinformed the public will be through people like that, but I guess this is actually nothing new in the world of martial arts.

I have gotten in a few arguments with some of these guys on the CCW forums. A lot of them have no clue what they are talking about. I even had disagreements with LEO's on some of these same forums. Just because that they are a LEO does not make them experts either. It all depends on what style of martial art they train in.

My philosophy is if it is a 1 on 1 fight use groundfighting skills to finish them off. If it is against more than two unarmed subjects then the blade comes out. If it is an armed subject the gun comes out if you are legally allowed to carry one.

You have to good at all facets of combat that includes gun, knife, stick and empty hands. I myself have make sure I train in all of these skills on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/19/2011 9:01pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen everything from Hwarangdo, Hapkido, to plain old military H2H training and years of "street" experience.

Ironically, the guy who I respect most on the local CCW forums is a guy who did aikijutsu and other japanese jujitsu for a long time. He doesn't talk stupid crap. I haven't figured out if hes done jujitsu thats more like aikido or jujitsu thats more like BJJ/judo.

It seems I shoulda posted this on YMAS, btw.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast