Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont use globes

in japan ther a word for it Gamanshimas :)

just let them heal and train some more

dont go balistik firs teacher i hade will have our hands bleed then we cude rest the prob was for the next days we cude not us the hands for ANY THING

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 9:40am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use training gloves for a variety of reasons, not getting blisters is a good one. Not getting my fingers smashed by some nooby is a better one. There are many different kinds of gloves that can be used. I like ones that offer a bit of extra adhesion so that my stick doesn't go flying out of my hands due to cumulative nerve damage. If that makes me a *****...........meowwwww.

As far as what to do about blisters. They are a training memento, like lactic acid in your muscles, when you don't train often enough. If you want to avoid them, don't increase your output suddenly (like attend a two day seminar with no preparation), and do increase your stick manipulation drills (prior to the weekend) to condition your wrists to the added strain.

One of the reasons for your blisters is because your hand (due to low training volume) has no endurance built up. As it fatigues, the grip fails, the hand ceases to hold the stick firmly and it starts to rub the edges of the palm and pads. That is why it feels better (after blistering) to grip it more tightly. Alas, to no avail.

Blisters do not turn into callouses because they have already separated from the level below. But if left on, they do allow the lower level to develop without the stinging pain of exposed skin.

My first training weekend (no prior experience with FMA at all) resulted in both hands looking like I was wearing gloves due to the multiple overlays of various bandaids and tape. I felt (then) that it was like a badge of honor. This was 30 years ago. I try to prepare more intelligently now. And when one of my hands feels like a blister is developing, I switch hands.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hsing i, FMA's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I might also suggest a stick with a larger diameter. I find with a thinner stick, there's too much gap between my optimal grip and the stick - too much wiggle-room, as it were.
    i agree.
    even a few turns of tape such as is used on golf club handles or bicycle handlebars can make a difference. i just use duct tape as its cheap

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 9:10am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveSeenFnords View Post
    i agree.
    even a few turns of tape such as is used on golf club handles or bicycle handlebars can make a difference. i just use duct tape as its cheap
    Do you use any sort of glove as well? I really can't stand the feel of duct tape - even electrical tape feels better, and if I wasn't such a cheap, lazy bastard I'd go and get a roll of hockey tape.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hsing i, FMA's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Do you use any sort of glove as well?
    i sometimes wear gardening gloves if practicing against a tree using rough hardwood sticks ive cut myself. not so much against skin blisters but i get small swollen lumps at the knuckle joint of my index finger after a couple hours.
    i dont mind the feel of duct tape and its only 1 a roll, but pvc insulating tape is better as you can create contours and build up thickness more easily

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 3:25pm

Style: Escrima, JKD, Iaido, LINE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately blisters, with any type of hand-stress work, are a necessary thing. If you weren't to get them you would probably not be working hard enough.
    Someone mentioned hockey tape? I would say that's your best bet. Personally I'm an insulation tape guy, everything gets taped at one point.
    Good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 4:42pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is 2 years old, what's with all the necros dude?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 5:10pm

Style: Escrima, JKD, Iaido, LINE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hell I dunno...why not?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12