Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 3:28am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    J_UK, I wanted to give you feedback for that beautiful rant, but apparently I have a crush on you so I can't.

You have it true.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 4:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    yeah, the classes at 5:30 and 5:40 are a pain to make. i was lucky enough to work very close to the dojo at my last job, so i could make it, and i made being able to shift my work hours on judo days a requirement before i accepted my current job.

i don't know about you, but i wouldn't feel comfortable telling a kodokan hachidan that he was dumb to have his classes at the times he chose. he does attract a particularly dedicated group with that timing though, that's for sure.
    Well Kodokan 8th dan or no Kodokan 8th dan holding an adult class at a time that practically no adult can be reasonably be expected to make, well its difficult to class that in the 'smart' category.

That doesn't mean the instructor is stupid, just that their choice of timing for their adult session is poor.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Well Kodokan 8th dan or no Kodokan 8th dan holding an adult class at a time that practically no adult can be reasonably be expected to make, well its difficult to class that in the 'smart' category.

That doesn't mean the instructor is stupid, just that their choice of timing for their adult session is poor.
    his reasons are his own, and while i agree with you that it would be much better for the adult students to be able to have class at 6 or 6:30, he's trying to run a mixed children/adults judo class, on the same day as teaching 2 other arts out of the same space (he also teaches karate, jujutsu and aikido so he varies what arts share what days.)

this is pure speculation, of course, but as the dojo is quite small, and judo attracts the most students, he times it the way he does to keep down the numbers and to attract a very dedicated group, while leaving the easier time slots for the other arts.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his reasons are his own, and while i agree with you that it would be much better for the adult students to be able to have class at 6 or 6:30, he's trying to run a mixed children/adults judo class, on the same day as teaching 2 other arts out of the same space (he also teaches karate, jujutsu and aikido so he varies what arts share what days.)

this is pure speculation, of course, but as the dojo is quite small, and judo attracts the most students, he times it the way he does to keep down the numbers and to attract a very dedicated group, while leaving the easier time slots for the other arts.
    Well a mixed children/adults class isn't the same thing as an adults class.

Then again you've got to say its a bit of a waste of the knowledge and skill of guy like Yonezuka to have it at a time when 99% of working adults simply can't access it.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually i'm with Higashi Sensei, not that it matters much to your point.

i will say that we have a full dojo for most classes and a great bunch of guys to train with, so in a city like this it seems to work. also for those who can't make it to my dojo they still have Matsumura Sensei and Oishi Sensei both teaching out of dojos in manhattan. as i pointed out, the YMCA classes aren't that expensive and Oishi has pretty reasonable hours despite being expensive.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 11:04am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also judo at five points academy.
    http://www.academyfivepoints.com/judo.html

Schedule
    https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/A...?studioid=2641

I've never been, but its under Teimoc Johnston-Ono who is quite good. http://www.teimoc.com/biography/

And there's the NYAC if you can get an invite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 4:03pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    There's also judo at five points academy.
    http://www.academyfivepoints.com/judo.html

Schedule
    https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/A...?studioid=2641

I've never been, but its under Teimoc Johnston-Ono who is quite good. http://www.teimoc.com/biography/

And there's the NYAC if you can get an invite.
    I called Five Points and they want $300 a month. So I can't do that. But their schedule would work.

Don't know anything about the NYAC. I checked out their site but I don't see anything about Judo being open to the public.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled, coming from Atlanta. The dojo I trained at was nice. Big space, great players. The price to train was great and the classes ran throughout the day. So it's a bit of a shock to see how expensive it is in NYC and how hard it is to find a class that's after 6:30pm.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 4:14pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are places out of Manhattan, too. Manhattan is just a really expensive place. You could also try BJJ, but that's expensive too. There are a few really good places -- Renzo's, Shaolin's and Marcelo Garcia's come to mind.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 5:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    I called Five Points and they want $300 a month. So I can't do that. But their schedule would work.

Don't know anything about the NYAC. I checked out their site but I don't see anything about Judo being open to the public.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled, coming from Atlanta. The dojo I trained at was nice. Big space, great players. The price to train was great and the classes ran throughout the day. So it's a bit of a shock to see how expensive it is in NYC and how hard it is to find a class that's after 6:30pm.
    i kind of think you are whining at this point. the YMCA classes are reasonable and fit your schedule. i think a lot of people training at $60/month YMCA classes in the middle of nowhere would give their left nut to get to train with a 7th or 8th dan.

NYC is expensive, get over it, or move back to the sticks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 7:36pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i kind of think you are whining at this point. the YMCA classes are reasonable and fit your schedule. i think a lot of people training at $60/month YMCA classes in the middle of nowhere would give their left nut to get to train with a 7th or 8th dan.

NYC is expensive, get over it, or move back to the sticks.
    I think it's a valid thing to whine about. I'll look into the YMCA a bit more, though. Thanks.
    Last edited by FourT6and2; 6/19/2011 7:44pm at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast