Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 9:46pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GVT (German Volumn Training) for Martial Artists?

here's the workout:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw84.htm

this isn't the first time i've heard of this, been thinking about it for a while but i'm...you know...lazy so i haven't gotten around to giving it a shot yet. I was curious if anyone else here does this or if anyone thinks adding in day 4 with day 2 would be a bad idea (as i generally only have 3 days a week to hit the gym, though i guess i could hit day 4 on a seperate one before a client or something...meh).

Anyways just wanted some opinions on this :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh i should add, i'd also be doing things like pushups/pullups/pistols throughout the week as well, been doing them for the past year and a half, not giving them up as i just recently got "good" enough at them to consider myself actually GOOD at them :D

Also would be training abs a good deal more than 1 day a week...never understood why anyone would only do them 1 day a week, though i guess that's from the bodybuilder perspective? Meh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:02pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never followed GVT myself but know plenty who have and do not rate it very highly, I think GVT is not reccomended to be followed for a long length of time and is just to be used as a sort of lay off/recover period for people who have been shifting max weights for sometime, generally in the off season i think to help give joints and ligaments/tendons.

Will it work also depends on your goals and other factors imo, ill assume size but with that in mind I believe nearly any routine can work to an extent as long as its followed properly with a good enough amount of intensity, intensity been the key word.

Adding in days to a workout may or may not do you any favours, depending on your own recovery rate.

You aslo have to understand, altering a routine means you're not doing it the way its supposed to be done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Never followed GVT myself but know plenty who have and do not rate it very highly, I think GVT is not reccomended to be followed for a long length of time and is just to be used as a sort of lay off/recover period for people who have been shifting max weights for sometime, generally in the off season i think to help give joints and ligaments/tendons.

Will it work also depends on your goals and other factors imo, ill assume size but with that in mind I believe nearly any routine can work to an extent as long as its followed properly with a good enough amount of intensity, intensity been the key word.

Adding in days to a workout may or may not do you any favours, depending on your own recovery rate.

You aslo have to understand, altering a routine means you're not doing it the way its supposed to be done.
    that's what i would be using it for mostly, a big change of pace. I've followed the same 3 day a week total body workout for quite a while now, and i just need a break from it, it's boring, stopped producing results and i'm just flat out sick of it lol. It wouldn't be an extremely long time for me, maybe 2-3 months depending on progress with it, i'd either go back to what i've been doing or come up with something else after.

I achieved some good results with my current routine for a good while, but i think it's run it's course for the time being and i just need something new, i saw this and thought to myself "this is pretty intense still, but would be completely different than what i've been doing"

I COULD keep the 4th day as it's own day, but with my martial arts schedule and work schedule, 3 days a week is really all i can afford while still giving myself a solid recovery day, worst case i could stick in day 4 after my MMA-X and BJJ workout on saturday, though i'd prefer not to have to heh (as that is sort of an "easier" day for me as well compared to the rest of the week, it's my sort of "half" recovery day).

Thanks for the input though, i will take it into consideration :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was the other routine you was or currently are following?

Running a program untill gains stop is much better than changing every few weeks.

The only problem with weight training after doing MMA and BJJ (how long is that in total?) is your glycogen stores will be heavily depleated which has a number of problems.

This could be combated with some EAA and BCAA and some destrose, pre, inter and post workouts, its not ideal and you would probably benefit greater by just doing 3 session per week.

Or some steroids

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was the other routine you was or currently are following?

Running a program untill gains stop is much better than changing every few weeks.

The only problem with weight training after doing MMA and BJJ (how long is that in total?) is your glycogen stores will be heavily depleated which has a number of problems.

This could be combated with some EAA and BCAA and some destrose, pre, inter and post workouts, its not ideal and you would probably benefit greater by just doing 3 session per week.

Or some steroids
    the other routine i've been doing is one of my own making based on what i've found works decently well for me after years of trial and error (and aloottt of injuries due to freak accidents ugh)

i won't go into huge details, but after trying alot of set and rep ranges and working around these injuries, i found that 2 sets of 8-10 reps of each thing i did (2 exercises per bodypart, finished up with 2 sets of 20 on each pullup/pushup/chinup/dip) seemed to work great for me, got quite a good deal of size and strength off it, but i think the main issue was i tried increasing my weight a bit too much for how much my tendons could handle (i.e. curling 60 pound dumbells for 8-10 reps....ya....not the best move lol).

While it worked great, it takes WAY too long to finish everything, and it definitely started giving me diminishing returns at this point (my diet has only improved and increased, i know it's the workout not nutrition at this point), so it's definitely time for a change.

Ya that would be a problem (the total time that day would be roughly 2 hours, little less depending on how much we spar that day in BJJ) and personally i think just modifying the program a bit would work out better in the long run.

Lol broham you have no idea how often i already get accused of steroids (i'll post in here some day about why i'm no longer in my shotokan dojo i was in for almost 9 years lol, that's another story for another thread though), i guess i could probably do them and no one would even know the difference xD But on a serious note..ya...i think i'll just stick to 3 days a week in the gym ;) Besides, heavy amounts of dextrose cause me to unleash a BJJhad in the bathroom if you know what i mean :x

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol protein shakes tend make me dish out some real punishment to the porcelain so I think i get your drift on BJJhad.

Have you ever tryed messing around with TUT? Time under tension?

I come from a srength background and still aim to increase weight on my main lifts, but something ive done lately with my assitance work is making my sets last over 30 seconds (i used to just lift the weight up and down a set would last about 10 seconds and I would never really focus on making the muscle work and training to true failure, never have been a big fan of training to muscular failure)

But after watching some videos of Kai Green training and reading articles by Dave Tate on how they feel the muscle working pushed me to give it a try and imo its a great way to train if you havent done so before

Lifting weights is fun, not enough people talk about it on this site :( lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol protein shakes tend make me dish out some real punishment to the porcelain so I think i get your drift on BJJhad.

Have you ever tryed messing around with TUT? Time under tension?

I come from a srength background and still aim to increase weight on my main lifts, but something ive done lately with my assitance work is making my sets last over 30 seconds (i used to just lift the weight up and down a set would last about 10 seconds and I would never really focus on making the muscle work and training to true failure, never have been a big fan of training to muscular failure)

But after watching some videos of Kai Green training and reading articles by Dave Tate on how they feel the muscle working pushed me to give it a try and imo its a great way to train if you havent done so before

Lifting weights is fun, not enough people talk about it on this site :( lol
    haha ya it is man, i know what you mean, everyone's got the "zomg dem muscles gonna make yew slow and dey is pointless!" attitude it feels like :( Before these freak injuries, i would have challenged ANYONE to keep up with my punching speed at the weight i was at and the amount of muscle i had on my body lol.

Anyways, i haven't personally messed around with it too much, though i probably should as it's more important i think than people give it credit for, i do make my clients generally pay attention to it, so i should practice what i preach xD

Ya i think i go close to failure a bit too often myself, i'm usually the kind of guy who says "ok, i want 8 reps on this, i don't care how long it takes, i'm getting it with this weight, even if i have to do 4 mini sets of 2" lol.

I think i need to just suck it up, and lower my weights down as well as switching the routine. While i CAN curl 60 pound dumbells for 8-10 reps, it usually gets very sloppy and often i have to break the sets up, so i should probably drop down to 50's again and work on making sure i can get 8-10 STRICT reps before i worry about "oh baby look at dem 60's, i be curlin em!!" again :)

I guess my biggest fear with switching is "ok, i've been doing full body all this time and gotten used to working my muscles ALOT each week, what's gonna happen when i only hit them hard 1 day a week?? AHHHH" kind of fear. Though as i said i guess i'll be doing enough stuff like pullups/pushups/dips etc as well to still hit them alot. Besides, i have no real proof that hitting them 3 times a week moderately hard has helped anymore than hitting them 1 time a week VERY hard is going to help them, i could only be getting results from 1 of those times a week and just setting myself up for failure the other 2 lol.

I wish it were sunday NOW so i could start this routine and see how it goes :( I get antsy when i have a new thing to start, i have to do mma-x tomorrow, BJJ, and then we have a punch a thon for cancer that i'm doing where i do bag sprints for as long as i possibly can (ironically our mma-x class this week is like a turdo charged pad work class...gonna be punching and sprawling SO much before the fund raiser lol), then i guess i'll hit some calisthenics like usual...then bide my time till sunday :(
    Last edited by proteinshakez; 6/17/2011 10:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 11:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by proteinshakez View Post
    I guess my biggest fear with switching is "ok, i've been doing full body all this time and gotten used to working my muscles ALOT each week, what's gonna happen when i only hit them hard 1 day a week?? (
    I understand that, and sorry to say it, but I found it was worse for me training in the typical BB style thats allways preached, doing each body part once a week didnt work well for me.

My back which still gets hit alot (4 times a week usually) is the biggest and strongest part of my body.

Going to be switching my routine on monday

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that, and sorry to say it, but I found it was worse for me training in the typical BB style thats allways preached, doing each body part once a week didnt work well for me.

My back which still gets hit alot (4 times a week usually) is the biggest and strongest part of my body.

Going to be switching my routine on monday

Same for me actually, my back has always been stronger than the rest of me and more muscular as well heh.

I used to train when i started with a split routine like this (not this intense as i'll be doing but you know what i mean), i got good results off it, and went back to it many times to fill in the blanks so to speak, i still use most of the same exercises today, just in different ways lol.

It's not my ideal method of training either, but like i said i've been doing full body for SOOOOO long now, that maybe it's just the change i need to start the progress train rolling again :) I think i'll take measurements sunday when i get up when i'm "flat" (wish i had someone around to take a pic too for progress ugh), and then give this routine some time and see if it actually helps, i'll write down my current strength numbers as well and see where they go :D

I will say, it's gonna be interesting squatting again after not really doing it for quite a while (one of the injuries was too my knees, between pain and making excuses...my legs are pitifully weak lol, time to change that) but it should be interesting to see the results :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast