Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Can it work? Yes. Is it usually completely gotarded*, spazzy white belt thing to do? Yes. Are the people who get hardons for it usually tapout fanboys furiously jerking to highlight videos set to 'Bodies' by P.O.D.? Yes.

*strength and explosiveness as opposed to technique based

<pedant> Bodies is by Drowning Pool </pedant>
    <serious> OP was that in your bjj class or some kind of km grappling? In most bjj competitions daki age is banned and would be considered a dick move in rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 3:38pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    The counter to daki age? A high risk move? Am I reading your post correctly?

The best counter to daki age is to open your guard and stand up while your opponent is lifting you upward. Not exactly what I'd call a high risk move.

This begs the question, what kind of instructor is teaching daki age and dodgy counters to noobs?
    No, no, you read it wrong. Daki age itself is a rather dodgy move because it's easy to counter.

Lindz: It was a KM grappling course, although I doubt either of the legitimate BJJ instructors teaching out of my school would hesitate to teach that move (after telling us that it's banned in competition).

The KM instructor suggested that I shouldn't rely on it in any case and that I needed to learn how to pass the guard.
    Last edited by yli; 6/17/2011 3:47pm at .

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 3:41pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The counter to daki age? A high risk move? Am I reading your post correctly?

The best counter to daki age is to open your guard and stand up while your opponent is lifting you upward. Not exactly what I'd call a high risk move.

This begs the question, what kind of instructor is teaching daki age and dodgy counters to noobs?
    I think he means that daki age is a high risk move. Which it's not. But you're right, opening the guard and standing is the way to go. (As a Judo player, I say "thank you"). But people forget this when they play in rulesets where you can't slam (like Earle in the video I posted). And, yes, what kind of douchebag instructor teaches daki agi to newbs.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 6/17/2011 3:46pm at .

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Underhook a leg with one arm, then slap his face with your free hand for being suck a dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 6:50pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The clue that he is going to pick you up and slam you is that he will grab both your collars. First of all if someone grabs both your collars you should be trying for an arm bar or other type of attack. However if you are are in a position that you can't stop him grabbing both collars and he starts lifitng you up you have two options, either open your legs and place your feet on his hips or underhook one of his legs which will take away his leverage to lift you.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal aversion to guard slamming as a way to get out of someone's guard is that it doesn't actually get you out of their goddamn guard. What's more, it can lead you deeper into the guys guard and make it easier for him to hit a sub/sweep after the slam. Hence, I believe, why yli called it a high risk move.
    But learn to pass the guard by passing the guard. Slamming obviously works, but it works the same way stacking someone in their guard and punching them in the face works.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 8:52am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Slamming obviously works, but it works the same way stacking someone in their guard and punching them in the face works.
    Stacking and punching/hammerfisting the groin is slightly lower risk, from what I've found (still not a good way to get out of the guard).

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 9:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or just hook their leg with your arm and laugh as they pull their back out trying to lift themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 9:04am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    Stacking and punching/hammerfisting the groin is slightly lower risk, from what I've found (still not a good way to get out of the guard).
    Get that Krava Maga mentality away from BJJ. There is no way you are going to be able to punch someone's groin from the top guard. I don't care what your Krav instructor tells you. You have to be in an upright position to do so and in a real fight no BJJ practitioner is just going to let you sit upright and punch his groin. I added this video just because I do not feel like doing a video on ball grabbing or striking.

Last edited by Team Python; 6/18/2011 9:09am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 9:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Or just hook their leg with your arm and laugh as they pull their back out trying to lift themselves.
    I prefer to come up standing. I have a series of throws I hit as soon as my feet touch the ground. Instead of still being in guard, I end up in side control.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast