Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's about as much of a scientist as any other TV presenter with an interest in science who's never done any scientific research.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bill Nye (Science Guy and Honorary Doctor of Science) is so science, he causes whole universities to panic and say "Holy ****, Bill Nye is coming? Quick someone give print him up a fucking doctorate with our school seal".

He's also a master of the gangnam style, and by my count might also be a minor Time Lord.

I'm also pretty sure he could outbrain everyone here combined on almost any scientific subject (without his notes).

Now stop being so jealous of his doctorates and dance moves.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/18/2012 9:17pm at .

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You understand that honorary doctorates don't actually represent an endorsement of any academic work, right? Not even for your favourite TV presenter.

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick go tell the 2012 International Astronautical Congress that Bill Nye, who still represents The Planetary Society there and presents their space research, is not now and has never, ever, been a real scientist.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bill-...ress-2012.html

Meanwhile, I delivered our technical paper about our Living Interplanetary Flight Experiments (LIFE). Bruce Betts our Director of Projects did a great deal of the work on the paper. During my talk I pointed out how enthusiastic our members are for this kind of research. Although many experts made predictions about the status of living things sent on a round trip to the vicinity of Mars, no one knows what will happen. As the Boeing test pilot Tex Johnston remarked, "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions." So, our Shuttle LIFE test run, and the effort and spirit of the Phobos-LIFE mission, were applauded by the technical audience. Once again, thank you for your support. In response to a couple of questions, I discussed the possibility of sending one of the remaining LIFE biomodules to the Moon on a Lunar X-Prize spacecraft. We'll see.

I also moderated a panel discussion of the use of social media in space missions. Outlets like Facebook and Twitter are ideal of space agency Education and Public Outreach (EPO). That is kind of what many of us might expect. But the panelists pointed out the remarkable nature of multiple sources of information available for news of space events. If there is a meteor streaking through the skies of the United Kingdom, scientists can monitor Twitter and get a nearly complete assessment of its path, size, and composition. The aurora borealis was observed by hundreds of tweeters. Social media are being used to coordinate experiments on the International Space Station and to run whole rocket programs at universities. Those with the need to know what's going on, log on, provide the information they're responsible for, and stay connected to the team. All this in ways my father could imagine perhaps but not quite visualize. What a world.

I attended meetings of the Space Education and Outreach Committee and the World Space Week organization. We hope to become increasingly involved with these groups, as they are comprised of people with whom we have a great deal in common

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No being the celebrity spokesman does not make him a scientist. He has to do scientific research to be a scientist. There's a difference between being really enthusiastic about science and being a scientist. I don't think you've understood this and I think that's why you think you're a scientist too.

Does Bill Nye think that it actually got warmer these last 15 years? Or does he have a model that correctly predicted that but still goes on to predict disaster in the 21st century unless we agree to his economic programme ?

No Rabbit. No.

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And then of course there was his five year long Frank H.T. Rhodes professorship at Cornell University where he taught (shockingly)...science.

Someone stop this crazy "TV entertainer" from poisoning the minds of our youth!

That is what you keep calling him, right? Even though he's done more to advance science than anyone here?

Oh and he also believes AGW deniers and creationists are full of **** (and as you've deftly proven, largely the same people).
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/18/2012 9:41pm at .

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UAH are creationists?

You're not even trying argument from authority now, you're doing argument from favourite TV presenter.

Wow.

You understand that the Rhodes professorship is a non-academic honorary position that involves acting as a guest speaker right ? You understand that Janet Reno was also a Rhodes professor, yes ? Was she appointed for a scientific work, too ?
    Last edited by Cullion; 12/18/2012 9:52pm at .

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 10:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    UAH are creationists?
    Strawman Part the First: You know I meant your crazy creationist conspiracy website, not UAH.

You understand that the Rhodes professorship is a non-academic honorary position that involves acting as a guest speaker right ?
    Strawman Part the Second: Bill Nye was considered a full member of the Cornell science faculty during his professorship.

Rhodes Professors are appointed for a period of three years with the possibility of a renewal for two additional years and are considered full members of the Cornell faculty. The purpose of the professorship is to strengthen the undergraduate experience by bringing to the university individuals from every walk of life who represent excellence of achievement and to create opportunities for interaction with the undergraduate community.
    You understand that Janet Reno was also a Rhodes professor, yes ? Was she appointed for a scientific work, too ?
    Strawman Part the Third: The Rhodes professorship isn't limited to science.

Janet Reno does in fact actually have a science background (she has a Cornell degree in chemistry) though by her graduate studies she had moved on to the law.

Now you might be onto something, if it were not for your propensity for strawmen.

Janet Reno is probably not a scientist.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/18/2012 10:07pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 1:56am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit, look at the graphs yourself. Do you honestly believe the data shows it has been getting warmer for the last 15 years ?

I think there is a legitimate issue when you argue on one day that the full historical data-set climate modelers are working with is insufficient, but on another day you argue a subset of that data is definitive.

This is what a long term graph of temperature anomalies looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201101-201112.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	14217

You are cherry picking a small flat spot in an upward trend, from one axis of measurement. Is near surface sea temp also flat? Deep sea? What about over-ocean temp? over-land? How does the data look when decomplied?

Also, surely a patent-holding mechanical and aeronautical engineer has some claim to a "scientist" hat?

Boeing probably doesn't do "peer review" on everything its employees apply the scientific method to, but the planes flew which would seem to me to be a rough and ready review of his aerospace credentials.

Would you say a medical doctor is a scientist if she's never worked on a paper?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 2:00am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No being the celebrity spokesman does not make him a scientist. He has to do scientific research to be a scientist. There's a difference between being really enthusiastic about science and being a scientist. I don't think you've understood this and I think that's why you think you're a scientist too.

Does Bill Nye think that it actually got warmer these last 15 years? Or does he have a model that correctly predicted that but still goes on to predict disaster in the 21st century unless we agree to his economic programme ?

No Rabbit. No.
    Engineers in soft- and hard- ware aren't scientists now?

But statisticians who do peer reviewed meta studies are, by your standard of publication (even if you don't then believe the peers, or the statistician)

It's funny how when someone has peer review, "Science is not a democracy" and when they lack it, only published academics who participate in the consensus building you paint as groupthink are real scientists.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast