Posted On:
    6/17/2011 1:58am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My training blog - Shooter's Quest

Hi guys.
    Now that I have started to compete in IDPA, I've decided to make this a persuit for the foreseeable future. Not just IDPA, but just gaining a high level of proficiency in the sport.

I've decided to create a blog. On this blog, I will be keeping track of my developments, making notes. I hope you will keep track of it, give me feedback and criticism, so hopefully I can become a very good shooter.

Much like my martial arts persuit, I foresee that this is going to take long-term dedication. Unlike my martial arts ventures however, this is going to be a much more expensive pursuit, and as a recently graduated, um I mean recently unemployed person, I am also going to save as much money as I can. I will be using equipment that is affordable but also gives me the maximum performance and benefit for the buck.

I obviously do not have any pecuniary interests involved in this blog. I would like to keep this thread updated with my reports and open to discussion.

My blog can be found here:
    Shooter's Quest
    URL is: www.shootersquest.net
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:03am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a big fan of IDPA for the simple reason that it is a sport. To me there is a difference between competition shooting with sophisticated sights and combat shooting. I don't know your reason for your interest in IDPA but good luck.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My reason for IDPA? Its accessible, its fun. And doesn't cost as much as IPSC. I have no mistaken belief that it is just like real life. Actually, I'm a big fan of it because its a sport. Same reason I like kickboxing over krav maga, hapkido, other martial arts, except that non-game combat shooting probably isn't BS like a lot of those other martial arts.

By the way, IDPA is iron sights only.

Edit: Dammit, I just realized my OP has some badly written sentences.
    Second sentence should read; "not just IDPA, but gaining a high proficiency in shooting sports"
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/17/2011 11:22am at .
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    I am not a big fan of IDPA for the simple reason that it is a sport. To me there is a difference between competition shooting with sophisticated sights and combat shooting. I don't know your reason for your interest in IDPA but good luck.
    I think that as a "gateway" for new shooters who are interested in self defense, IDPA can be okay if you remind yourself that it's a game with rules. What it does do is it helps to train your mind to think and assess a situation quickly and put bullets into targets from standard engagement ranges, it often forces you to move, use cover, and do magazine changes...which in of themselves...are GOOD THINGS.

However...the ridiculous rules and systems of penalization are retarded and is one of the many reasons why I don't shoot it anymore. If you lack any sort of training/experience...it's not a total waste of time...and you can practice (which is key) shooting a variety of targets under stress...I would say that the good often outweighs the bad, but as someone who has shot competitively for about 25 years...I'm well over it. I would recommend that the money you would spend on IDPA competition, you see out a good, reputable instructor or school in your area and invest your time and money into something more meaningful. However, if a fun shooting sport is what you're looking for...good luck and keep us apprised!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    I think that as a "gateway" for new shooters who are interested in self defense, IDPA can be okay if you remind yourself that it's a game with rules. What it does do is it helps to train your mind to think and assess a situation quickly and put bullets into targets from standard engagement ranges, it often forces you to move, use cover, and do magazine changes...which in of themselves...are GOOD THINGS.

However...the ridiculous rules and systems of penalization are retarded and is one of the many reasons why I don't shoot it anymore. If you lack any sort of training/experience...it's not a total waste of time...and you can practice (which is key) shooting a variety of targets under stress...I would say that the good often outweighs the bad, but as someone who has shot competitively for about 25 years...I'm well over it. I would recommend that the money you would spend on IDPA competition, you see out a good, reputable instructor or school in your area and invest your time and money into something more meaningful. However, if a fun shooting sport is what you're looking for...good luck and keep us apprised!

I agree......the last training I did we were put through stress while shooting. Doing push ups and squats and other crazy things. Also yelling at you and making all kinds of noise to distract you even pushing you a little here and there. It was good course put on by some of my Israeli friends. Of course everytihing is done off the Israeli combat shooting stance (Isosceles) . I will never go back to weaver or using sights at close range ever again.

I always tell competition shooters that targets never shoot back. It is different game when someone is confronted with an armed subject and combat shooting is the only way to prepare for that along with tactical training with simunitions or even air soft pistols.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I played airsoft for a long time, like age 17-22. it evolved to a point where I would be a squad leader in company level maneuvers and with military people training us in force on force things. It was just for fun and nothing like real training, and most ppl were fat and out of shape, but I do remmeber one thing really well; if I fired in the middle of a game, i almost never used the sights. Part of this was because you could see the bbs, but when it was close enough I just pointed out of muscle memory and fired. It would always hit.

I realized in IDPA though, you have to track your sights. In between taps, during the draw, at all points. I wonder if people ever track their sights in a gunfight? I've read different stories, where people remember looking at just the front sight, people not remembering anything about the sights, so on and so forth.

I really just want to get very good at all shooting disciplines. I realize this is an LEO/RSBD/Firearms part of the forum, but I plan on pursuing all sorts of shooting sports.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I played airsoft for a long time, like age 17-22. it evolved to a point where I would be a squad leader in company level maneuvers and with military people training us in force on force things. It was just for fun and nothing like real training, and most ppl were fat and out of shape, but I do remmeber one thing really well; if I fired in the middle of a game, i almost never used the sights. Part of this was because you could see the bbs, but when it was close enough I just pointed out of muscle memory and fired. It would always hit.

I realized in IDPA though, you have to track your sights. In between taps, during the draw, at all points. I wonder if people ever track their sights in a gunfight? I've read different stories, where people remember looking at just the front sight, people not remembering anything about the sights, so on and so forth.

I really just want to get very good at all shooting disciplines. I realize this is an LEO/RSBD/Firearms part of the forum, but I plan on pursuing all sorts of shooting sports.

You will not look at the sight when someone is shooting back. You will be looking at the threat....the person shooting at you. That is why using no sights at close range is the best way to train so you can be effective in doing so when the **** hits the fan.

I suggest you read a book by Rob Pincus titled Combat Focus Shooting. Rob explains in detail what occurs to the body when facing a life threatening situation such as someone shooting back at you. You will not use sights in this type of situation at close range where you can't find cover. I trained a little in this course and I have a friends that are instructors in Combat Focus Shooting. I myself have not had the time to take the instructor course but even if I did I would use that time to teach others to shoot instead to make extra cash.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    You will not look at the sight when someone is shooting back. You will be looking at the threat....the person shooting at you. That is why using no sights at close range is the best way to train so you can be effective in doing so when the **** hits the fan.

I suggest you read a book by Rob Pincus titled Combat Focus Shooting. Rob explains in detail what occurs to the body when facing a life threatening situation such as someone shooting back at you. You will not use sights in this type of situation at close range where you can't find cover. I trained a little in this course and I have a friends that are instructors in Combat Focus Shooting. I myself have not had the time to take the instructor course but even if I did I would use that time to teach others to shoot instead to make extra cash.
    +1. There are some schools of thought out there that simply teach using body parts such as your, hips, arms, feet, etc. as reference points and teach the methodology of index/instinct-shooting as opposed to trying to line your sights up in CQB-style (up close and personal shooting). The reason that they do so---is that nearly all of these systems work under pressure at close ranges. Again...much like Python and I have already said, the key to any sort of proficiency is continual practice and training. Proficiency breeds a certain quality of confidence that is very difficult to overcome or match in life/death situations. Especially in regards to your typical fuckhead on the street, looking for trouble (or your wallet/life).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 1:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In real life an armed civilian is not going to be chasing a suspect or clearing rooms. A civilian will most likely use their weapon in a situation where they have to engage the bad guy at close proximity with no chance of getting behind a barrier or other object that provides cover.

In this video I shoot ten rounds at a the steel target using no sights and as you can hear I hit all ten rounds. Notice the combat stance I use. This is nothing fancy and I can teach someone to shoot like this in my 4 hours course that I provide to law enforcement and civilians.

Shooting for sport is okay but it is not going to really prepare you for what will happen in a real life threatening situation. I don't know if you ever served in the armed forces or ever been a LEO but I have been both and I seen what works and what does not. **** even the training that most police agencies provide is crap is not realistic for what occurs out there. If this was not the case you would have a lot less cops dying today.

Take it from Lord Skeletor and me......we both seem to be on the same page.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/18/2011 1:05am at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the tips. You guys don't have to convince me. I realize they are both different things. Like I said its mainly for fun and competition. I actually wanna do well, and start beating everyone in my division, and so forth. However I will ramp up my point shooting practice and add it to my regular practice sessions. Would you guys mind if I quote you two, and I do an article on it on my blog sometime?
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/18/2011 10:24am at .
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast