Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 3:36pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Counter to double underhook guard pass

I have a series of finishes with this counter. This is just one of them.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice control. What do you do if the person does not make the fundamental error of getting that high in your guard without properly controlling your hips?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Nice control. What do you do if the person does not make the fundamental error of getting that high in your guard without properly controlling your hips?

Ben

Hmm not sure what you mean. Usually when I get them in this position they are trying to get my legs over their shoulders so they can smash me and go for the pass. So the set up is quite easy.

The number one rule when passing the guard is when there legs are open never try to get a double or single underhook with both your knees on the ground especially when strikes are involved.

However there are people that forget this and try with both knees down therefore I use this set up. I will also set them up by placing both my feet on the ground when I have them in my guard but I squeeze my knees close to their ribs. I will then let off on the squeeze and open my legs a little so when they see the opening they try the double underhook pass with both knees on he ground.

I hope this answered your question.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Hmm not sure what you mean. Usually when I get them in this position they are trying to get my legs over their shoulders so they can smash me and go for the pass. So the set up is quite easy.

The number one rule when passing the guard is when there legs are open never try to get a double or single underhook with both your knees on the ground especially when strikes are involved.

However there are people that forget this and try with both knees down therefore I use this set up. I will also set them up by placing both my feet on the ground when I have them in my guard but I squeeze my knees close to their ribs. I will then let off on the squeeze and open my legs a little so when they see the opening they try the double underhook pass with both knees on he ground.

I hope this answered your question.
    Thanks for the response, and for addressing other errors that can be taken advantage of.

I see now more clearly your approach to that situation.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 9:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the video.

The double under pass used to be my go to until I went against the higher belts where stuff like this would happen; I now use the modified version where you gable grip around the one leg.

I am a beginner grappler and have not heard the "don't put both knees on the ground" when doing this pass, could you elaborate on this further, maybe via video. Do you get control of the hips in a combat base stance prior to stacking?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That one's new to me. I know that can become a strength battle real quick between him weighing heavy and you trying to lift his legs, but what are you considering an underhook here? I'm thinking of situations where you'd try to pull him onto your knees/lap,

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2011 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh80 View Post
    Thanks for the video.

The double under pass used to be my go to until I went against the higher belts where stuff like this would happen; I now use the modified version where you gable grip around the one leg.

I am a beginner grappler and have not heard the "don't put both knees on the ground" when doing this pass, could you elaborate on this further, maybe via video. Do you get control of the hips in a combat base stance prior to stacking?
    If you approach a guy with both knees on the ground and he is in a open guard he can easily sit up (Open sitting guard) and place both of his feet on your hips and grab your collar and sleeve. In the open sitting guard it will be difficult for you to do anything because you will not be able to posture because he will be pulling you forward with your collar and pushing your hips back with his two feet. From here there are many attacks I can do from the sitting open guard.

When you approach a guy that has an open guard you want to have one knee up and one knee down. The knee that is up should pointing straight at your opponent and the shin should be against the inside of his thigh and the other knee should down pointing at a 90 degree angle from the the knee that is up for good base. This prevents him from getting me in the guard and it also prevents him attacking me with the arm bar or triangle choke. With both knee down he can easily attack you.

Now if you plan to get a single underhook there is a safe way to do it but I think it would be better to show it with a video. I will do one tomorrow for you so you can have an idea on what I just wrote.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2011 10:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok Python thanks for the explanation. I understand what you mean and in this regard I do not approach an open guard on my knees.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 4:47pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you mind demonstrating the form (or forms) of the double under hook pass that you use? I've seen it a few ways. The most significant variance I've seen is use of the hands.

You can see Kashiwazaki teach it here (at about 1:40), gripping the belt or skirt.

Here its taught with a grip across the legs:

Or even this way:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st video - At 1:58 you will see that he has both of the legs on his triceps for a few seconds. All the guy in the blue has to do is grab white’s sleeves and place both feet on the ground to stop him from lifting his hips. He can then use the counter I have shown in my video. Plus there are guys that are real good at defending the pass with their legs over their shoulders however that is a different subject. I like the pass he did before this one.

2nd video – I don’t like this pass at all. It puts you in a bad position. Notice at that at 1:06 how he has both arms underneath the partner’s legs on his bicep. Once again he is open for my counter. He has to flare out his elbows to place the legs on the shoulders before he does anything else. Also by him not grabbing the collar the guy on the bottom can just stiff arm the hip and they will spin together as the top guy tries to circle to the side. Grabbing the collar prevents that.

3rd video – At :02 the guy in the blue is in a bad position because both knees on the ground and he does not flare up the elbows to place the legs on the shoulders. At :12 he is in the position to be placed in my counter.

Trust me I have been doing this for a while and when a guy goes for a double underhook on me with both knees on the ground and has both of his arms underneath my legs I automatically grab the sleeves and place my feet on the hips such as my video. Once I do this they can’t flare out the elbows and place my legs over their shoulders. They then can not pass. Especially if I sit up and cross my feet underneath their chest.

The key move in the double or single underhook pass is to place their leg or legs on my shoulders so I can smash them by bringing their knee or knees to their nose. I can then safely circle to their side after I grab their collar and pass.

I will do a video tonight on a single and double underhook pass that I use. I think you will find them much better.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/27/2011 5:30pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast