Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    At least they're trying within the Buj parameters. I went to a Buj club many many years ago that had bare knuckle sparring (no head shots) and MMA style grappling. The instructor had an elevated Bujinkan grade and aside from a few of the kata pretty much everything he thought his really his own style (a mix of kick boxing and wado ryu with lashings of ninja imagery). So even though it sounded like a hard hitting Buj club, it wasn't really Buj at all. If the training in the OP's vid was promoted in Japan there might be some hope for the Buj but it's not, so the best you'll get are guys like this experimenting and trying to make dodgy techniques work without any proven instruction or instructor to back up their efforts.
    That is a real jump of imagination there... LOL!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 1:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    RRWAA: For the purposes of training, have you ever considered buying a Redman/High Gear suit (or just assembling your own from various bits of gear)? One of them can help you try out the more dangerous theoretical techniques your art teaches without having to compromise movement (for the most part) or safety.
    Such suits are a double edged sword.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 1:48pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey RWAA, I've been following this thread and I think you mentioned you've been doing BJK since the early 90s. I wonder if you ever met my instructor. I think I started around '97 or '98 and did it until I had to stop due to school and other factors around '00. Anyway, my instructor was Greg Tremblay from Kageyama Dojo in Toronto, ON. A lot of the members of my class would shell out a lot of dough to go to Seminars and conventions in various states. Personally I didn't have the money to burn, but I imagine that a lot of higher ranks and more dedicated students would go and there was probably a certain degree of networking amongst instructors.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Hey RWAA, I've been following this thread and I think you mentioned you've been doing BJK since the early 90s. I wonder if you ever met my instructor. I think I started around '97 or '98 and did it until I had to stop due to school and other factors around '00. Anyway, my instructor was Greg Tremblay from Kageyama Dojo in Toronto, ON. A lot of the members of my class would shell out a lot of dough to go to Seminars and conventions in various states. Personally I didn't have the money to burn, but I imagine that a lot of higher ranks and more dedicated students would go and there was probably a certain degree of networking amongst instructors.
    Hi Pokeroo,

I have heard of him yes. Never trained with him that I can remember. One of Ralph Severe's students?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he got his bb under Court Elliot. He was introduced to Bujinkan by Stephen Hayes. He told me he used to do some wing chun before in the 70s, sorta like you with your JKD background I suppose.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he got his bb under Court Elliot. He was introduced to Bujinkan by Stephen Hayes. He told me he used to do some wing chun before in the 70s, sorta like you with your JKD background I suppose.
    Nice!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pokeroo,

what do you do now? MMA? Do you compete? Where do you train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RRWAA View Post
    Pokeroo,

what do you do now? MMA? Do you compete? Where do you train?
    I guess I'd say mma. I train here at the moment. When I was in Toronto I trained here. I have been out of training for some time though and just started again a few months ago.

I somewhat miss training at Kageyama Dojo in Toronto, but since I left the prices there got very high, and I have become aware of so much more in the MA world since then. Also there were a few things I disliked about training there that I think would probably bother me more than before if I went back, but I think about going back sometimes.

edit: forgot... no I don't compete. I'm a bit old and not in shape for that or at the skill for it. I seem to progress fairly slowly but it might be because I have had other priorities at times.
    Last edited by pokeroo; 6/17/2011 2:28pm at . Reason: forgot to add information that was asked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:23pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks like beginner judo

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'd say mma. I train here at the moment. When I was in Toronto I trained here. I have been out of training for some time though and just started again a few months ago.

I somewhat miss training at Kageyama Dojo in Toronto, but since I left the prices there got very high, and I have become aware of so much more in the MA world since then. Also there were a few things I disliked about training there that I think would probably bother me more than before if I went back, but I think about going back sometimes.

Cool! Good luck man... training is a process, enjoy the process...

-Rick
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast