Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 3:56pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, it actually would and it has happened before. You need the threads?
    OK fair enough, but would there be much point?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 3:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. The trolling is removed, the conversation is forced to stay on topic and posters tend not run off because they are sensitive or butt-hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I wouldn't classify that as randori either. But it is similar in nature to the kinds of back and forth warm up drills we used to do in wrestling practice all the time. Ergo, light years ahead of just about anything else I've seen from the booj.
    Then it shouldn't be called Randori. The thread is now merged, read it from the beginning..

Would I recommend that over Judo? No, but as someone who routinely bashes ninjutsu I feel like at least this guy is moving in the right direction.
    No. This whole " <insert art> is moving in the right direction" is a tired and silly argument.

Go look at shinbushi's style field and remember he did the same thing.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/08/2012 4:01pm at .

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am surprised and disapointed that the gloves and head guards were not in traditional black

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then it shouldn't be called Randori.
    I would say it qualifies as randori, not particularly good randori, but hey.

Randori isn't a consistent term across styles. Essentially it just means free-practice. Depending on how rigid the rest of your training is, the stuff in the video could look pretty free form to you.

Also, for ages when I was injured, my judo randori sessions would have looked pretty similar to that. (Though I hope I was using more appropriate throws for each situation than those guys were going for.)

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 4:32pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post

Randori isn't a consistent term across styles. Essentially it just means free-practice. Depending on how rigid the rest of your training is, the stuff in the video could look pretty free form to you.

Also, for ages when I was injured, my judo randori sessions would have looked pretty similar to that. (Though I hope I was using more appropriate throws for each situation than those guys were going for.)
    That's what I have always took it to mean.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 4:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post

Yes, I know how it translates. Just like chi has multiple translations that lead to stupid semantic battles like this one. We will just disagree, as I think it is a way to imply you are tied to something you aren't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 2:39am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No. This whole " <insert art> is moving in the right direction" is a tired and silly argument.

Go look at shinbushi's style field and remember he did the same thing.
    Not the art, the dojo. Any time one moves from static ninja (or silat or whatever the crap) drills towards alive training then I see it as a good thing.

Would it be better if they started fresh with a judo and boxing program? Yes, but that ain't gonna happen so they do this instead. The more they do, the more the silliness will fall away.

Baby steps. Some people need them.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simon Yeo is a Roger Gracie Black Belt and 15th Degree Black Belt in Booj Ninjawesome

http://www.yeodojo.net/

"Simon is available for seminars on either Bujinkan Ninjutsu, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu or the link between the two arts. Please phone 07860 343075 to discuss."

"In August 2000 Royce Gracie The Ultimate Fighting Champion, made the first of many trips to the UK. Simon attended his seminar and it very quickly became clear that along with many other martial artists, Simon's ground fighting skills needed honing to become fully rounded as a martial artist. Soon after this Simon was invited to tour Japan with Royce for two weeks, travelling with Royce on his seminar circuit. Simon was also invited to Japan to watch Royce fight at Pride.

Simon currently trains with Roger Gracie and the Black Belts at his academy 2-3 times a week."
    King without a crown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 8:17am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Not the art, the dojo. Any time one moves from static ninja (or silat or whatever the crap) drills towards alive training then I see it as a good thing.

Would it be better if they started fresh with a judo and boxing program? Yes, but that ain't gonna happen so they do this instead.
    It might also get them to realize they like fighting and invest themselves in other times. It might also be a stopgap to keep illusions up.
    Either way, I applaud the teacher, he seems to have a clue and his students have better form in BBT and mini-aliveness than most considering their grade.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that Yeo got his black belt without ever taking one group class - all privates. Has anyone ever seen him roll?
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast