Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 4:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    You're probably one of the few real ninja out there.

Are you participating in Modesto, CA's ninja parade this year?

http://www.theonion.com/video/ninja-...nce-aga,14181/
    I keep going to that year after year and somehow I don't ever see a single ninjer.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RRWAA View Post
    Yes all randori is a drill. All "sparring" is a drill as well! Even kata and prearranged training is a drill. Just to be clear Randori is often translated (poorly) as sparring. Sparring is different. A basic way to understand randori is that from preset training, you begin to add chaos.

In any techniques, to learn it, you must train with zero resistance, you set up a situation to teach a concept. Then because nothing in life is set up, we must train to apply concepts in unpredictable and changing environments. That is randori...

What you see in the video is in our dojo level 1. Meaning that while still taking turns, the "feed" is not static. There is movement and different energy. They were allowed to attempt a limited number of techniques and had to find the timing and distance etc. to pull it off.

As can be seen a few times the balance of the uke was not taken properly, or the distance was off etc. This is the only way to learn, you must log hours of these types of drills or you can never really use what you "know"...

At this level they were still helping each other, yet trying to provide a bit more challenge than static training...

Thanks for the question.

-Rick
    We differentiate between compliance drills and drills where there is none.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 6:30pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i went to view the first few vids but they're gone? :(

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 6:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Embedding disabled by request doesn't mean they're gone. Just click the box where the video should be. Will open utube in a new window/tab.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 7:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    So how is level 1 randori supposed to work? Normally taking turns would mean it's a drill and not randori/sparring.
    In Judo we call this kind of training nage komi. The term randori is reserved for something completely different, because:

“In randori, one must search out the opponent's weaknesses and be ready to attack with all the resources at his disposal the moment the opportunity presents itself, without violating the rules of judo.” -- Jigoro Kano.

How can you learn to "search out weaknesses" and be "ready to attack ... the moment the opportunity presents", if you're taking it in turns?

Chaos, indeed. I can't be too harsh considering how low the bar is set, but trust a ninja to miss the point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 7:42pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    In Judo we call this kind of training nage komi. The term randori is reserved for something completely different, because:

“In randori, one must search out the opponent's weaknesses and be ready to attack with all the resources at his disposal the moment the opportunity presents itself, without violating the rules of judo.” -- Jigoro Kano.

How can you learn to "search out weaknesses" and be "ready to attack ... the moment the opportunity presents", if you're taking it in turns?

Chaos, indeed. I can't be too harsh considering how low the bar is set, but trust a ninja to miss the point.
    He said that the higher randori are
    "two people both going for it, not taking turns and both trying to stop the other. much more videos will be coming soon!"

so we'll see the videos of it soon.
    Last edited by Disastorm; 6/17/2011 7:48pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I'll fix that straight away!
    Quote Originally Posted by proteinshakez View Post
    i went to view the first few vids but they're gone? :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:12pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RRWAA View Post
    Sure we will have many more videos coming of this but here are a few..

(Some where in the thread already btw...)

A bit of constructive criticism?

I would have given them 30 seconds on the mat to get a sub before standing them up.

But other than that, good stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post

Sir I find the tone and wordage your using offensive. It makes me feel as though your just going to be argumentative and not really interested in discussion. Having said that, #1, Nice quote from kano, BUT he didn't invent randori AND what he is saying is indeed true for the ultimate expression of randori. You say "In Judo we call this kind of training nage komi." ok. In Ninpo and traditiuonal Jujutsu, we call it a stage of randori. Whats your point?

And

"Chaos, indeed. I can't be too harsh considering how low the bar is set, but trust a ninja to miss the point."

I find this to be an ignorant and offensive argumentative comment... I have said and done nothing to you for you to reply to me in this way.

Good day..

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 10:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    A bit of constructive criticism?

I would have given them 30 seconds on the mat to get a sub before standing them up.

But other than that, good stuff.
    Thanks man appreciate it. I was trying to focus just on standing. I often limit what they can do to develop specific aspects of totality. Also we have what we term all in, meaning it goes where it goes...

And, regardless what the other poster alluded they were very tired at this point and I fear that they would have just laid on each other! LOL!

Cheers!

-Rick
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast