Style
    MMA, Hoshinsul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a new school

Well, I don't think I officially am a newb anymore, but I didn't know where else to put this.

Anyway, I've been training at Salem boxing club. In Salem Ohio for almost 2 years now. The place is great for me, but I'm moving to Canton Ohio and can't really afford to drive an hour or more to get to the gym. The good news is that I get to explore new and exciting styles, but I'm not sure exactly sure what I should be looking for credential-wise. Point is, I found two mma placed and wanted to know what you guys thought.

http://www.victorymmasubmissionfighting.org/
    This one is literally right around the corner from my new digs

http://www.teameastcoast.com/

If you guys know of any other good alive schools in the area let me know as well?

Thanks for all the help bullshido!

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting a MMA place with mostly Korean training

"Master Rick Blackwell 7th degree Black belt Taekwondo- World Chang Moo-Kwan under Lee Nam Suk 6th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo- Moo Do Won under Choi Dong Hi. 2nd degree Black belt Bong-Sool-full contact stick fighting

5th Degree Black belt Hoshinsol/Korean Grappling under the (Late) Choi Hok Shik

Founder of the Sung-nee Hoshinsol System

Hoshinsol is a conceptual grappling art which includes both a stand up component and a ground component. It uses only the most effective techniques from, Yudo the Korean form of Judo, Hap-ki-do, and Japanese Jujitsu. Because it is a system that grows from a nucleus of techniques B.J.J. or any other origin of technique could be used to meet the test requirements. It is very effective and can be utilized by most students, then quickly added into whatever striking system that they have been taught. What is very unique about this system is that it can adapt to any striking system whether M.M.A. , Karate, Taekwondo or even boxing!

He also holds a black belts in Japanese Jujitsu and Judo"

I would recommend you the second place
    Because they have a BJJ blackbelt you have more chances of improving than with Korean grappling
    Try a class in the teameastcost gym

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough to say. The first one claims no BJJ at all, let alone a BJJ blackbelt, which for me personally would be a requirement. It's purely Korean arts. Which seems sketchy at best, except that they claim to have pro MMA fighters teaching MMA and wrestling. A solid wrestling program could entirely change my opinion of the place; but I'd definitely be wary before signing on with them.

"Team East Coast" has one big red light, (depending on what you're looking for in a gym) and that's that they don't claim to offer any MMA classes on their website. Only "MMA fit". I'd say be wary of this place too; except that the head instructor has a "6th degree blackbelt under Chuck Norris". Gotta be legit!
    (But on a serious note, he also holds a BJJ blackbelt, which is a good sign)

Style
    MMA, Hoshinsul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    Tough to say. The first one claims no BJJ at all, let alone a BJJ blackbelt, which for me personally would be a requirement. It's purely Korean arts. Which seems sketchy at best, except that they claim to have pro MMA fighters teaching MMA and wrestling. A solid wrestling program could entirely change my opinion of the place; but I'd definitely be wary before signing on with them.

"Team East Coast" has one big red light, (depending on what you're looking for in a gym) and that's that they don't claim to offer any MMA classes on their website. Only "MMA fit". I'd say be wary of this place too; except that the head instructor has a "6th degree blackbelt under Chuck Norris". Gotta be legit!
    (But on a serious note, he also holds a BJJ blackbelt, which is a good sign)
    Well, as far as the first place goes, the head instructor also claims black belts in jjj and judo. In addition,
    Jujitsu is listed on the class schedule. Is there any way to verify his black belts short of asking him directly? (I feel like I'm being rude when I do that)

Is their any particular reason I should prefer bjj over jjj and judo?

I assume from the pics on the website that they compete in naga tournaments, and they have fighters that compete in NAAFS in mma; I assumed both of those were a good sign.

As for the second place, the bjj black belt is a real draw, but the lack of specifics about their striking program and lack of a dedicated wrestling class bother me a bit.

I'll definitely check both places out and report back, but the problem is that it's gonna be hard for me to evaluate their programs since I only have experience in boxing.

Basically, I need advice for a beginner to choose between grappling schools, and I'm still hoping someone out there is familiar enough with the Ohio MA scene to know if there's anyplace around with a good reputation for competition.

Style
    MMA, Hoshinsul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checked out the Eastcoast place as per Rurik's suggestion. They do indeed have a bjj bb there to teach, but their kickboxing is not full contact, and I can't afford to have my striking training go unused and unimproved. Anyway, I'm gonna go check out the victory place soon (hopefully tonight) and then I found a gym in Akron called Rock Hard Cash that isn't to far away.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    2nd degree Black belt Bong-Sool-full contact stick fighting
    I can't seem to find a single video of this Full Contact Stickfighting style where someone is actually hit with a stick. Its all compliant hapkido-locks-with-a-stick.

Style
    MMA, Hoshinsul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm not there for stick fighting, and it's not on the curriculum anyway. I went to several classes and was convinced enough to sign up for a trial month. So far it seems pretty legit; they compete in mma, grappling tournaments, and some striking competitions (haven't verified that one yet though). Plenty of sparring and drilling going on, so I'm not too worried. Eventually, I'll put up a full gym review. Thanks for everybody's help!