Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    I do Martial Arts instead of sports simply because I find sport fucking boring.

That's probably also why I've chosen arts on a technical rather than practical basis. Otherwise I'd just get bored.

Much like the 5-a-side comment above, I've never seen an amateur team sport played with a team attitude. Better to succeed or fail on your own, without blaming other's failure, or taking other's credit.

If people want the social aspect of team sports, why not just be friends with people you train with?

I used to play squash, but couldn't help aiming the ball at the other player, so I guess there is a martial interest ingrained for me at base level.

That or I'm just an arsehole.
    I used to do the exact same thing when I was very serious about short-net badminton. My buddies were always complaining about feeling like they had just gotten done playing paintball with me rather than badminton.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    iv been pondering, and what do you guys think makes martial arts different from, say, any kind of sport?

for example, what can you learn through martial arts that you might not pick up doing baseball or football?

what kind of life lessons?

im asking because i get this alot. i have friends or relatives that ask.."well what made you do this over baseball?" "how is getting beat up at practice all the time fun?"

i had my answers. but im curious on your input ;]
    Sports and MA will teach can teach you the same things. The main difference in the two is your passion for it. The same discipline that will make you a good football player is the same discipline that will make you a good Martial Artist.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    Football and baseball are not too "deadly for the street" (unless traffic). Real martial arts are too deadly for the sports because of eye poke and nut kick plus no rules and ninja deadly poison coated sharp things. So when people need to know why you do martial arts, blind them.
    That's why I play STICK BALL its a true sport unlike the watered down Baseball. In Baseball there are no windows to break. That isn't the reality of da streets. In stick ball you have to deal with windows and getting the ball out of krotchy ol' Mrs O'Malley's yard.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    That's why I play STICK BALL its a true sport unlike the watered down Baseball. In Baseball there are no windows to break. That isn't the reality of da streets. In stick ball you have to deal with windows and getting the ball out of krotchy ol' Mrs O'Malley's yard.
    Not to mention the random "CAR!!" calls. Let's see Derek Jeter field a diving catch to make a double play on asphalt, then hightailing it out of the way.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 8:54pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Go pick up Martial Arts And Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness by our resident philosophy professor from down under, Damon Young. Well, edited by DAYoung that is.
    (I had some complaints about the utilitarianism article but overall it was a great read.)

http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-P...8202605&sr=1-1
    I wrote a review of this book for the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, and I second that recommendation. It's especially good for people who don't have a lot of previous experience with philosophy, as the authors do a good job of introducing the theories with which they approach the martial arts.

I'll also toss in a shameless plug for my own contribution.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Thunder View Post
    I wrote a review of this book for the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, and I second that recommendation. It's especially good for people who don't have a lot of previous experience with philosophy, as the authors do a good job of introducing the theories with which they approach the martial arts.
    Thirded, I have it in e-book format. Haven't finished it yet but the first half is great.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234