Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:21pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Well, I'm not much of a team player. I know that may come as a shock to many Bullshido members.

I enjoy individual challenges. I like winning alone and I'm comfortable losing alone as well.
    i glad you im not the only one! im a lone ranger. i like the challenge being aallll on me. i have no help. nor do i have to rely on anybody but myself. i feel like it breeds more mental toughness.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    iv been pondering, and what do you guys think makes martial arts different from, say, any kind of sport?

for example, what can you learn through martial arts that you might not pick up doing baseball or football?
    What you learn in MA which you cannot learn elsewhere is how to impose your physical will upon another human being who is actively trying to prevent you from doing so, and also how to take it when it invariably happens to you.

what kind of life lessons?
    Nothing else which you cannot get elsewhere.

im asking because i get this alot. i have friends or relatives that ask.."well what made you do this over baseball?" "how is getting beat up at practice all the time fun?"
    There is only one correct answer to both questions: Because you like it.

i glad you im not the only one! im a lone ranger. i like the challenge being aallll on me. i have no help. nor do i have to rely on anybody but myself. i feel like it breeds more mental toughness.
    Regardless of how much "mental toughness" (as you put it) it might breed, it still will not make your dad love you.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/15/2011 3:26pm at . Reason: spelling
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:10pm

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont like playing with balls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:24pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    **** it. Kicking an opposing player is only a 15 yard penalty......if it's not flagrant. That would get you an ejection. So you need to use ninja kicks.
    (Brian Cushing performs a surreptitious groin shot on a Seahawks player.)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    (Brian Cushing performs a surreptitious groin shot on a Seahawks player.)
    Goddamn ninja!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 6:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They teach you that you don't always win and helps you deal with losing. Society seems to tell us that unless you win all the time you're a loser and nobody will ever love you and you'll die alone and afraid, surrounded by empty whiskey bottles, cats and wearing itchy trousers.

From personal experience, find an amateur 5-a-side football team who regularly play. Bonus points if they do it "just for a bit of fun". You can be guaranteed that if they win and you ask one of them about it, it was because of that amazing goal that he scored or that amazing play he did. Of course, if he's on the losing team it's because the rest of the team weren't very good and nothing to do with him at all. And the other team was cheating.*

*Note this is the reverse of the sport-street argument where if they're allowed to cheat with the dreaded eye-pokes they would always win :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 12:06am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do martial arts because Im not fast enough for soccer and at 5'5" im too small for football and basketball, and baseball is really boring to me unless im at the game and drinking. That being said if growing up their was "height" classes for sports just as there are weight classes for martial arts I might have been more interested in playing.

As far as learning life lessons through martial arts, Ive learned that girls for the most part dont care that a 26 year old guy has a pick up basketball game on the weekends, but dropping someone on their ass in a bar fight can occasionally get you a number. Does that count?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 12:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iv been pondering, and what do you guys think makes martial arts different from, say, any kind of sport?

for example, what can you learn through martial arts that you might not pick up doing baseball or football?

what kind of life lessons?

im asking because i get this alot. i have friends or relatives that ask.."well what made you do this over baseball?" "how is getting beat up at practice all the time fun?"

i had my answers. but im curious on your input ;]
    Go pick up Martial Arts And Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness by our resident philosophy professor from down under, Damon Young. Well, edited by DAYoung that is.
    (I had some complaints about the utilitarianism article but overall it was a great read.)

http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-P...8202605&sr=1-1
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 2:31am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because, whereas all sports are gay, except those featuring camel toe leotards and Venus Williams' cleavage, only some martial arts are gay.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 2:44am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Martial Arts instead of sports simply because I find sport fucking boring.

That's probably also why I've chosen arts on a technical rather than practical basis. Otherwise I'd just get bored.

Much like the 5-a-side comment above, I've never seen an amateur team sport played with a team attitude. Better to succeed or fail on your own, without blaming other's failure, or taking other's credit.

If people want the social aspect of team sports, why not just be friends with people you train with?

I used to play squash, but couldn't help aiming the ball at the other player, so I guess there is a martial interest ingrained for me at base level.

That or I'm just an arsehole.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast