Posted On:
    3/18/2004 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gaining Muscle

Pizdoff, here's one for you:

I am 6' even and currently I have lost weight down to 154 pounds, mainly due to being in med school and not having enough time to lift. I want to be at 160 because that is the top of my weight class in Kyokushin.

I want to put on 6 pounds of muscle by lifting weight. I want to be as strong as I can without sacrificing endurance very much as Kyokushin rounds are 2 minutes with up to two extensions. In order to be an effective fighter, I need to be able to throw very powerful body punches as fast as possible.

I have a lot of training in proper technique and body dynamics for this. I simply need more muscle. Furthermore, I need to beef up my trunk and abdominal musculature so that I can rotate my shoulders relative to my hips as fast as possible.

What sort of weight lifting routine would you reccommend to accomplish this? How many reps and at what percentage of my maximum (for 1 lift) in each area?

I have the following minor limitations: I have had surgery to repair instability in my left shoulder. My orthopedic surgeon has said that I am absolutely not allowed to do a free-weight bench press, military press, or overhead press. Doing these on a machine is fine.

I can currently bench (on a machine) a maximum (once or twice) of about 205.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully Pizdoff will get online soon!

Furthermore, I need to beef up my trunk and abdominal musculature so that I can rotate my shoulders relative to my hips as fast as possible.
    For ab work specific to fighting and being able to rotate:
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/205abs.html
    Specifically the full contact twist.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your doctor finds nothing wrong with full contact fight but advises against lifting free weights?

If you have upper body limitations. Stick to squats, deadlifts, maybe a dumbell bench press and a dumbell row.
    I'd say at least 70% of muscle building is in the diet though. You cant eat like a bird and expect to grow.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 8:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SAFTA4Life
    Your doctor finds nothing wrong with full contact fight but advises against lifting free weights?

If you have upper body limitations. Stick to squats, deadlifts, maybe a dumbell bench press and a dumbell row.
    I'd say at least 70% of muscle building is in the diet though. You cant eat like a bird and expect to grow.
    Yes. Impact during a full contact fight (according to my orthopedic surgeon) is unlikely to create further instability problems in my glenohumeral joint. However, the heavy loading of the bench press, military press, and overhead press exercises are very risky for my shoulder due to a lax joint capsule and my flexibility.

He says that using a machine to do bench presses and the other exercises mentioned above allows for a much more stable motion and greatly reduces the chance of re-injuring my shoulder as compared to using free weights. And based on that, the dumbell bench press would be far worse than the regular bench press because it adds one more possible axis of motion and is a much less stable movement.

He never said I can't lift free weights. He just doesn't want me doing the motions I listed above with free weights.

As far as diet goes, I eat quite a lot. Usually about 4-5000 calories a day with a lot of meat and other protein.

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH I forgot to tell you. Hannibal just sent me an email and wanted me to tell you that you dont need weights. Just do bodyweight exercises.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 8:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SAFTA4Life
    OH I forgot to tell you. Hannibal just sent me an email and wanted me to tell you that you dont need weights. Just do bodyweight exercises.
    Uh. . .

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what does your current program look like ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut-up!!!!11

::burning incense and sitting in the lotus position until pizdoff arrives::

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok......I have apparently deleted my long post......

And let me read FoM's article now, half-way done.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 11:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by FingerorMoon?
    what does your current program look like ?
    Right now I am recovering from tournament last weekend. For the 2 weeks leading up to tournament I had only been doing body weight exercises due to a complete lack of time. (had finals in med school).

I have a bit more time on my hands now and need to get back in the gym and put my muscle back on.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast