Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie Extraordinaire

Is his style a legitimate Shorin Ryu style? I am looking at Kenchin Kan and Matsumura Shorin Ryu...Any ideas? I know Kise is the Master for Kenchin Kan...Ideas?

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie Extraordinaire

Hello, I am a 46 yr old newbie to the martial arts world...Just trying to sort out what and where I want to study. It is hard to figure out what is B.S. and real out there. I live in the Alexandria, LA area and my options are extremely limited. If anyone knows any info about any of these schools, please give me a heads up.

Rapides Karate: Dan Gilliland, Keichu Ryu, MMA
    PineForest Martial Arts: Mike Veillon, Shorin Ryu Kenchin Kan
    Karate Kicks: Clint Duplechin, Shorin Ryu, Nintai Do, BJJ, Aikido
    Bulls Gym: Kirk Bullock, Kechu Ryu and MMA

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh...I usually avoid anything with Keichu Ryu but I'm biased.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why?

BTW, Kirk Bullock says it is Keichu Ryu, but says it is modified quite a bit...Kirk was pretty big at one time as a kick boxer, at least that is what I heard.

What about training a traditional art like Shorin Ryu and MMA at same time? I am in good shape for my age and like the workout of the MMA schools, but have zero desire (because I am old) of getting in an octagon. Do you think it would be ok to do both?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL......good shape for your age.

Anyway do a search on Keichu Ryu on this site and it'll explain a lot. Shorin Ryu is a hit or miss, usually a miss, but it depends upon the instructor. Understand that MMA seems to be a power word for most traditional styles. They're not really teaching MMA. I teach kung-fu, SAMBO and kickboxing. I also coach mma? What's the difference? I've actually fought MMA, I have fighters and MMA, I have a cage, I know the rules, I actually do MMA. Most say "Well we do karate x with kickboxing. Those are two different arts we mix. Therefore we are doing MMA". Um, no.

Bottom line it comes down to the instructor. You show us websites and instructor bios then we can recommend. Otherwise, do a class and do the one you enjoy the most.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlgreen View Post
    Is his style a legitimate Shorin Ryu style? I am looking at Kenchin Kan and Matsumura Shorin Ryu...Any ideas? I know Kise is the Master for Kenchin Kan...Ideas?
    BTW, I moved this post here. Try to keep it all in the same area while you're slowly navigating the site. I'm usually the mean one on this site so I'm interpreting your actions as sincere. Do some leg work for us:
    1. Is there a website.
    2. There is a karate section here are you ready to post there for the Japanese stylist to look at?
    3. Is he that well known that we might know him.

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullsgym-mma.com/index.html Kirk Bullock used to be a kickboxer...supposed to be a champion...Big in MMA
    http://karatekicksla.com/ Sensei is 7th Dan, They also have a 2nd Dan in Aikido teaching and a purple in Aikido

http://www.shorinbujutsu.com/ Sensei is 4th Dan

www.rapideskarate.com Sensei says they don't follow the Marx way...Also very big in MMA training

Style
    GJJ, MT, TKD, BOXING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,

I a familiar with all the names that you mentioned and honestly your best bet is Michael Vellion in pineville. He also has a Jiu Jitsu program taught by the only guy in cenla above a white belt ;-) There BJJ classes are Monday and Wednesday from 7-9. If you have no desire to fight in the cage then stay away from the gyms that offer MMA. The ego's and attitudes within local mma gyms usually suck!

Kirk Bullock was never a "Kick Boxer" he is a Point fighting karate tournament guy. He is an all around nice guy though and when I talked with him he told me this so he doesn't seem to claim to be something he isn't just the rumor mill.
    Danny is a complete JOKE!!
    Clint is a good guy and runs a legit school but has some questionable behavior (from what I hear.)

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice...BTW, Clint has a purple belt teaching BJJ from Revolution out of Lafayette.

Does anyone have any opinion on training in a traditional martial art like Shorin Ryu and going to another gym for MMA training? I am torn...I like the fitness part of the MMA training and traditional weight and cardio training is boring for me...I have taken a few classes and really enjoy the MMA class. I seem to get a great all around workout without the boredom. I also really enjoy the traditional Karate training. Am I making a mistake doing both?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last