My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In kung fu sparring, I used to do this thing that was questionably legal. When stepping in to throw a lead punch, I'd step on top of their lead foot, pinning it to the ground. This was good when I was going against someone that was constantly moving backwards, and when they tried to move but something was wrong, their attention would instantly go to the foot, and their face would be hit.
    LOL, yeah, you can do the same thing in Judo. My instructor came back from a big training camp in the mid '80s and said stepping on uke foot was all the rage. He figured out a counter to it, though, and severly strained a few knees at the training camp of the guys who thought it was a cute move.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, yeah, you can do the same thing in Judo. My instructor came back from a big training camp in the mid '80s and said stepping on uke foot was all the rage. He figured out a counter to it, though, and severly strained a few knees at the training camp of the guys who thought it was a cute move.

Ben
    How do counter footpin?

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do counter footpin?
    It doesn't seem very wise from a Judo standpoint to rest your leading foot weight on your opponents toes...seems like a good way to feed a sweep or throw if they know what to do. Like BKR said, cute move but a good judoka should know how to use opponents force applications against them, especially the legs/feet, right?

My 0.02.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/16/2011 10:30am at .

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do counter footpin?
    He would bend his knee and hook his own knee around the guys knee from the outside, and push in with his knee/body weight. If he was really pissed, he would do a sort of Kosoto Gake at the same time.

I have not done this counter in a long time, as I've not run into anyone who purposely steps on feet anymore.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 11:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It doesn't seem very wise from a Judo standpoint to rest your leading foot weight on your opponents toes...seems like a good way to feed a sweep or throw if they know what to do. Like BKR said, cute move but a good judoka should know how to use opponents force applications against them, especially the legs/feet, right
    Like I said, I have not seen this sort of move (stepping on foot on purpose) in a long time.

It was used to pin the weight on uke foot to "set up" another throw, to slow uke down or make him stumble if moving. More of a surprise move than anything else.

Dickish all the same, as the potential for knee/ankle injury is pretty high.

Ben
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567