Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 9:21am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You guys at one year into judo seem to think you should not get blasted by advanced students/black belts? Keep on dreaming, if it keeps you training.

I think with the kind of training that judoka_uk illustrates in his BLOG, a dedicated person who has reasonable coordination levels and lots of time to train can appear to have Ok judo after one year. But they won't be beating competent yudansha, except by fluke.

And I don't mean flatfish.
    I agree with ya BKR, if I was currently beating the dan ranks regularily there would be something amiss with the dan ranks. Personaly I like that judo is frustrating at times, if it was easy it there would'nt be any real acomplishment in getting it to work.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 9:57am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admire your enthusiasm, mister. Cairo is a huge city, isn't there someplace you can go where they actually attempt to teach Judo. It sounds like your "club" is just looking for athletic talent to bump up to the "competition" team and screw everybody else.

have you called these guys?
    Adress : El Bahary Stadium St, Egyptian Olympic Federations Complex , Cairo Stadium , Nasr City , Cairo , Egypt</SPAN>Phone : +202 22 63 43 67 / 24 03 65 48Fax : +202 22 63 85 55Mail : jfederation@yahoo.comPresident : Essam Rashad

OK, i see you hae looked close by and the only other club is too expensive.
    Thanks but, these guys are at the opposite end of town sadly...

Mister and JudoJeff, you guys have to realize that judo is not the easiest thing to learn, especially for adult beginners who both sound like you were not particularly athletic/coordinated to begin with.

Mister, squatting 160 at a bodyweight of 150 sounds like a great improvement, but you can get a lot stronger than that. Strength training is good overall, so I suggest you continue to do so. Not sure how tall you are, but you sound like a small guy. I'm small too, 5'7" and 150 lbs, competed mostly at -65 kg and -66 kg. I was told by my coach to lift weights, and he was absolutely correct. The key factor was I was getting a lot of skill training by a competent sensei at the same time. But keep on lifting, it's good for you in any case.
    Actually it's the other way around I weigh 163 and I squat 150 (I strength train twice a week, should I make it three?) I'm also kind of scrawny as I'm 6 feet tall I think 163 pounds is too low for a 6 feet tall guy...I need to bulk up but that's another topic I suppose.

You're right though I've never played any sports before Judo...

I suggest you try to find a like minded judoka in your class and stick together. Work on uchikomi and nage komi when you can, and when you do randori together, make it more cooperative, or just do nagekomi. That way you can get in maybe some more quality time instead of fighting for your lives the whole. You can expand that to others as well, the more the merrier. All out shiai style randori is not productive for beginners in my experience.
    I have infact started to do that, the advice given to me here was very good I started sticking to one of the coaches (literally sticking) after training and asking for uchikomi and randori practice as well as whoever else has time for me, I'm a pretty good Uke so everyone likes uchikomi and nagekomi with me and I end up taking some falls and learning things.

Last saturday I did 100 Uchikomi counts of Seoi Nage with a 120kg guy, I was ruined after it lol...

You guys at one year into judo seem to think you should not get blasted by advanced students/black belts? Keep on dreaming, if it keeps you training.

I think with the kind of training that judoka_uk illustrates in his BLOG, a dedicated person who has reasonable coordination levels and lots of time to train can appear to have Ok judo after one year. But they won't be beating competent yudansha, except by fluke.

And I don't mean flatfish.
    Lol I wouldn't even dream of it the black belts in my club are insane. I was thrown in randori all the way to the ceiling by a Tomoe Nage of them did on me once.

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 10:32am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Lol I wouldn't even dream of it the black belts in my club are insane. I was thrown in randori all the way to the ceiling by a Tomoe Nage of them did on me once.
    That's just an asshole-ish thing to do to a yellow belt. What is he learning by going to town on a newbie? Nothing. What are you learning? Nothing. What is the point of the exercise?

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    That's just an asshole-ish thing to do to a yellow belt. What is he learning by going to town on a newbie? Nothing. What are you learning? Nothing. What is the point of the exercise?
    I think he was taking it easy on me and he waited for an opportunity when I was bent over and used Tomoe Nage on me, afterwards he told me not to bend over cause my opponent will take advantage of it like he just did.

Yes I know what this sounds like, what with the taking advantage of a bent over guy and all but I assure you...

lol...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    I agree with ya BKR, if I was currently beating the dan ranks regularily there would be something amiss with the dan ranks. Personaly I like that judo is frustrating at times, if it was easy it there would'nt be any real acomplishment in getting it to work.
    Sure, good attitude on your part. I just have heard and seen so much attitude over the years from beginners that suggest they think there is some sort of magic that happens and they can throw everyone around.

News is, there is always someone who can throw you around. Usually a lot of them. Hell, I used to get the crap beat out of me by -48 kg women at the USOTC, in fact, at the higher level of female competition, -48 kg women can stomp a mud puddle in most non elite male judoka. The heavier categories are even tougher.

Judo is frustrating, the way it is commonly taught makes it even more so.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 7:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Thanks but, these guys are at the opposite end of town sadly...

Actually it's the other way around I weigh 163 and I squat 150 (I strength train twice a week, should I make it three?) I'm also kind of scrawny as I'm 6 feet tall I think 163 pounds is too low for a 6 feet tall guy...I need to bulk up but that's another topic I suppose.

You're right though I've never played any sports before Judo...

I have infact started to do that, the advice given to me here was very good I started sticking to one of the coaches (literally sticking) after training and asking for uchikomi and randori practice as well as whoever else has time for me, I'm a pretty good Uke so everyone likes uchikomi and nagekomi with me and I end up taking some falls and learning things.

Last saturday I did 100 Uchikomi counts of Seoi Nage with a 120kg guy, I was ruined after it lol...

It sounds like you are on a better track towards success. As for you physique, yeah, I'd say you would benefit from strength training. A proper program 2x/week should work for you.

This is OT, but go here: and read through this thread. It has a solid basic strength program you can follow easily. http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...tine-for-judo/

And stop bending over. head up, elbows down, head over hips over knees over feet.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you are on a better track towards success. As for you physique, yeah, I'd say you would benefit from strength training. A proper program 2x/week should work for you.

This is OT, but go here: and read through this thread. It has a solid basic strength program you can follow easily. http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...tine-for-judo/

And stop bending over. head up, elbows down, head over hips over knees over feet.
    Hey thanks mate. I have practice today and I can hardly wait for it.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, guys, sorry for necro but I BURIED a guy who was much stronger than me today with a huge O Soto Gari in a simulation match my coach made me fight, it was my third fight in a row and I was beat and I lost the two fights before with O Goshi and Osaekomi, but I managed to pull the sleeve downwards and push the lapel backwards and SLAM O SOTO GARI! My first proper throw you should have seen it, it was beautiful! AND HE FELL FLAT ON HIS BACK IT WAS TEXTBOOK (I think, I don't know much of what the textbook contains lol).

My first proper throw guys!

Doesn't exactly deserve a thread on it's own so I thought I'd put it here!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 4:19am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats! It's always great when you fit everything together and pull off a good throw.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 12:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well done man, feels good when it comes together.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast