Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:52pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean its a logical conclusion even for an angsty teen. If your Instructor who is widely known to have gained his Dan grades through heavy competition says he is only teaching you a technique so you can defend against it says not to use it, then you do not use it.

If anyone is dumb enough to go agaisnt that, then I dont see why they should be allowed to train at the club anymore.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    I mean its a logical conclusion even for an angsty teen. If your Instructor who is widely known to have gained his Dan grades through heavy competition says he is only teaching you a technique so you can defend against it says not to use it, then you do not use it.

If anyone is dumb enough to go agaisnt that, then I dont see why they should be allowed to train at the club anymore.
    Kids are fucking dumb. I've practiced with this one kid with an attitude problem who for ages just refused to tap no matter that he was being subbed, after a few sessions of this I was losing patience and seriously considering putting him out to teach him a lesson before he decided that a sangaku jime/ juji gatame simul combo of suffocation and pain was probably a good thing to tap to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, all the kids are (I say kids, but I mean teens also, because im a patronising asshole at times) are very calm and respectful.

They miss the one thing that infuriates me most of all in kids that do MA (Because I used to do it) . Which is maintaining the belief that their skill will get them anywhere with someone a lot bigger and a lot more experienced in pain than them.

I have to deal with one of those little fuckers in MT. He just doesnt get that EVERYONE goes easy on him. He honestly believes he can duke it out with the grown-ups.

He's even heard our instructor say, and I literally quote, "mike, dont kick him hard , even if he's got the pads, you'll knock him over." Then he told me how my size and strength meant nothing after peppering me with fairy punches.

Rant over.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 7:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, all the kids are (I say kids, but I mean teens also, because im a patronising asshole at times) are very calm and respectful.

They miss the one thing that infuriates me most of all in kids that do MA (Because I used to do it) . Which is maintaining the belief that their skill will get them anywhere with someone a lot bigger and a lot more experienced in pain than them.

I have to deal with one of those little fuckers in MT. He just doesnt get that EVERYONE goes easy on him. He honestly believes he can duke it out with the grown-ups.
    Judo tends to keep you honest that way. There are folks who do Judo who keep themselves away from other clubs or shiai who might think that way, but in general getting one's ass kicked regularly keeps reality close by.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally support this. Is it dickish of me to lift the teen clear of the ground by the lapels from a standing face to face position when they do get a little cocky?

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 7:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally support this. Is it dickish of me to lift the teen clear of the ground by the lapels from a standing face to face position when they do get a little cocky?
    Probably ought to ask your instructor. I'd say probably no, although it would be amusing to say the least. I guess it depends on the situation and overall atmosphere of your dojo.

I usually just foot sweep them into oblivion, but then, it may be a while before you can do that.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its all really friendly. I didnt mean that with any menace if you understand my drift. Besides the younger ones know I play around a bit. After the advice you two gave me, I took the falls when I believed they would have thrown someone their size, and I took them with flare, to at least make it look good for them.

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 12:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its all really friendly. I didnt mean that with any menace if you understand my drift. Besides the younger ones know I play around a bit. After the advice you two gave me, I took the falls when I believed they would have thrown someone their size, and I took them with flare, to at least make it look good for them.
    That's great, no need to be a good example of a bad example of of your quote of Kano Sensei.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2011 12:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Irony of it all was that later on, a young green belt helped me with my De Ashi Barai. (Im having trouble getting the angle of my feet right, training myself out of kicking basically.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 2:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is It wrong, from a sportsmanship perspective to resort to drop seoinage in randori if you're struggling?

Background: Its a lot easier for me to seoinage at the moment, due to size , weight and strength.
    I encourage beginners or anyone I demonstrate ippon/morote seoi nage to that in randori they should practice it standing. My ippon/morote seoi nage has become better over the past year and a half due to my insistence that I stop dropping to my knees. I refuse to do it now for three reasons. One, I want to get much better with standing seoi nage in randori and secondly drop seoi nage is always there for me if I want to throw with it. Since randori is about practice I try to practice things I'm not good at. Lastly attacking with standing seoi nage allows me to incorporate it as part of my combinations and I can throw different throws depending on the situation. With drop seoi nage or seoi otoshi I'm generally left with attacking with ko uchi makikomi or if I turn around quickly enough morote gari. When I attack with standing seoi nage I have many more throws I can follow up with.
    Last edited by Dave R.; 6/20/2011 3:09pm at .
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast