My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    We've talked about which club im attending. I must stress, he is teaching it because if the juniors go into competition and it is used against them, and they have no knowledge of it, they'll end up in big trouble.

It was pointed out that he dislikes it, he dislikes people who use it, and he really wishes he didnt have to teach it to them.
    Glad to hear that your coach is against it. We have run into the same thing with Seoi Otoshi.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes , but for the 12-16 year olds? Im not sure of the current age bands. We had no-one under twelve today but several in 12-16 range, how does that work in?
    You said earlier you were practicing with 11 year olds.

I don't know about 12-16 and because of the useless website redesign can't find the docs to check.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:08pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was last week. The alarmingly small ones were'nt there. We did on the other hand, have an influx of Dan grades. Im wondering if someone called in favours to coach makikomi safely.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol, **** that. I'm not going to run anything.

Do you remember that cartoon on Judoforum back in the day where a white belt had his knee'raised with his foot tucked into a black belt's belt. The black belt's caption read 'So where did you learn Judo Smith?'

I've genuinely seen tomoe nage taught basically like that by a legit BJA dan grade at a legit BJA club.

I assisted a BJA technical officer at a training event where a 6 year old red belt was doing drop seoi and nothing but drop seoi and bouncing other 6 year olds on their heads and his coach, a legit BJA dan grade, was actively encouraging the kid in doing this and had clearly trained the kid to do this.

I walked off in disgust.
    Argh, It's hard to not say anything in situations like that. So the kid goes to a shiai and does his only throw and gets DQ'ed, that's really cute.

I know in BC seoi Otoshi is not allowed for kids that young, first one in a match is a warning, then a shido, then hansokumaki, unless uke gets hurt, then it's a DQ right away. Any coach doing that kind of crap would get his ass chewed. Plus, at all the coach training, we are admonished not to teach stuff like makikomi, seoi otoshi, etc. to kids.

Oh,and just wait, somebody is going to have to clean up the mess and you will be the man for the job.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was last week. The alarmingly small ones were'nt there. We did on the other hand, have an influx of Dan grades. Im wondering if someone called in favours to coach makikomi safely.
    My coach was on the British squad and spent 10 years being coached by Neil Adams, during which time he travelled all over the world doing Judo. He said it was only when training in Russia that he realised how much technique there was to Makikomi.

Not to disparage your coach, but as an illustrative story of how there are lots of levels of 'knowing how to do Makikomi'.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Argh, It's hard to not say anything in situations like that. So the kid goes to a shiai and does his only throw and gets DQ'ed, that's really cute.

I know in BC seoi Otoshi is not allowed for kids that young, first one in a match is a warning, then a shido, then hansokumaki, unless uke gets hurt, then it's a DQ right away. Any coach doing that kind of crap would get his ass chewed. Plus, at all the coach training, we are admonished not to teach stuff like makikomi, seoi otoshi, etc. to kids.

Oh,and just wait, somebody is going to have to clean up the mess and you will be the man for the job.

Ben
    Don't care about the kid at contest I care about his knees when he's 35 or the brains of the poor kids getting thrown on their heads, that kind of **** is criminal and borders on abuse, in my book.*

I think its below 14 and or below orange belt that you aren't allowed to do drop seoi, makikomi, koshi guruma or any sutemi waza in contest.

Nah the only thing I intend to be running in 20+ year's time is a bar tab.

*Not avaliable at a reputable book shop near you.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    My coach was on the British squad and spent 10 years being coached by Neil Adams, during which time he travelled all over the world doing Judo. He said it was only when training in Russia that he realised how much technique there was to Makikomi.

Not to disparage your coach, but as an illustrative story of how there are lots of levels of 'knowing how to do Makikomi'.

Don't care about the kid at contest I care about his knees when he's 35 or the brains of the poor kids getting thrown on their heads, that kind of **** is criminal and borders on abuse, in my book.*

I think its below 14 and or below orange belt that you aren't allowed to do drop seoi, makikomi, koshi guruma or any sutemi waza in contest.

Nah the only thing I intend to be running in 20+ year's time is a bar tab.

*Not avaliable at a reputable book shop near you.
    I agree, the most important thing regarding seoi otoshi, makikomi etc for kids is safety, not getting DQ'ed, just to clarify my position.

Second is their development in Judo. Neither is what I consider basic Judo, or fundamental, despite the fact they can learn to do something that looks like the throws.

Your book is already online. All you have to do is print it out and bind it.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The solution isn't necessarily to teach makikomi, but to teach them how to avoid it. I'm guessing it was teenagers doing makikomi, not little kids.

It's a rock and a hard place, because somebody has to try it on them and drill it in order to learn how to avoid makikomi (or anything else for that matter). But if you teach them to do it, they may start trying it themselves.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:41pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely the massive bollocking from the instructors would prevent that?

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely the massive bollocking from the instructors would prevent that?
    That is what I do in that sort of situation. Not a perfect solution but it works OK.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I agree, the most important thing regarding seoi otoshi, makikomi etc for kids is safety, not getting DQ'ed, just to clarify my position.

Second is their development in Judo. Neither is what I consider basic Judo, or fundamental, despite the fact they can learn to do something that looks like the throws.

Your book is already online. All you have to do is print it out and bind it.

Ben
    Yeh we're on the same page.

Whooa steady there nelly. I need to release a steady stream of teasers over 5 years, complete with obscure pictures with J_UK stamped all over them in official looking red letters and post numerous comments in mutliple threads about research costs and how busy I am accompanied by a sarcastic smiley.

Then and only then will I be able to think about spreading rumours that Cambridge University Press is publishing it, before I print it off teh internetz and bind it.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast