Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:34pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For any who are interested,

It all clicked into place tonight. Apparently our instructor had seen makikomi being used by yellow belt juniors in competition. So today our juniors went over it.
    With this all in mind, its no wonder he wants them to randori and newaza with us, they're going to need it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    For any who are interested,

It all clicked into place tonight. Apparently our instructor had seen makikomi being used by yellow belt juniors in competition. So today our juniors went over it.
    With this all in mind, its no wonder he wants them to randori and newaza with us, they're going to need it.
    Surely you jest? Who is teaching makikomi to junior yellow belts?

Judoka_UK, I can't imagine that's standard practice in BJA syllabus. Is Mike at some obscure mini-organization's dojo?

Seriously, that's just wrong, yellow belts (junior or senior) doing makikomi type throws.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makikomi

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Judoka_UK, I can't imagine that's standard practice in BJA syllabus. Is Mike at some obscure mini-organization's dojo?

Seriously, that's just wrong, yellow belts (junior or senior) doing makikomi type throws.

Ben
    Man I've given up.

Its 100% likely that Big Mike is training at a totally legit BJA club with a total legit ranked and qualified instructor.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Man I've given up.

Its 100% likely that Big Mike is training at a totally legit BJA club with a total legit ranked and qualified instructor.
    Well, when you are running the BJA in 20 or 30 years, you can fix it all up to make some sense of it all.

Wow, I'm surprised. Wait, maybe I'm not, I know a very well known club in the Pacific NW that teaches Seoi Otoshi to little kids. Just so they can have more success in shiai, as far as I can tell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I've given up.

We've talked about which club im attending. I must stress, he is teaching it because if the juniors go into competition and it is used against them, and they have no knowledge of it, they'll end up in big trouble.

It was pointed out that he dislikes it, he dislikes people who use it, and he really wishes he didnt have to teach it to them.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Well, when you are running the BJA in 20 or 30 years, you can fix it all up to make some sense of it all.

Wow, I'm surprised. Wait, maybe I'm not, I know a very well known club in the Pacific NW that teaches Seoi Otoshi to little kids. Just so they can have more success in shiai, as far as I can tell.
    Lol, **** that. I'm not going to run anything.

Do you remember that cartoon on Judoforum back in the day where a white belt had his knee'raised with his foot tucked into a black belt's belt. The black belt's caption read 'So where did you learn Judo Smith?'

I've genuinely seen tomoe nage taught basically like that by a legit BJA dan grade at a legit BJA club.

I assisted a BJA technical officer at a training event where a 6 year old red belt was doing drop seoi and nothing but drop seoi and bouncing other 6 year olds on their heads and his coach, a legit BJA dan grade, was actively encouraging the kid in doing this and had clearly trained the kid to do this.

I walked off in disgust.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 5:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makikomi

Regarding makikomi, it is better to give than receive.

As a funny aside, we learned a German term for Soto Makikomi from our German exchange student. She said it was a term they use in their dojo.

Das Schwein Rollen (the pig roll or pig rolling)

I laughed so hard I cried. We made that our official team cheer that very class. At the next shiai, one of my students threw the other with a perfect soto makikomi for ippon after having dodged an Ouchi Gari, turned his body totally sideways and all. We erupted in a Schwein Rollen chant from the sidelines.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    We've talked about which club im attending. I must stress, he is teaching it because if the juniors go into competition and it is used against them, and they have no knowledge of it, they'll end up in big trouble.

It was pointed out that he dislikes it, he dislikes people who use it, and he really wishes he didnt have to teach it to them.
    Drop seoi nage is illegal in BJA competitions for under 12s as is, I believe, Makikomi.

I would post the relevant pdf, but the website redesign means none of the fucking links work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes , but for the 12-16 year olds? Im not sure of the current age bands. We had no-one under twelve today but several in 12-16 range, how does that work in?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast