Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread: Drop Seoinage

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For any who are interested,

    It all clicked into place tonight. Apparently our instructor had seen makikomi being used by yellow belt juniors in competition. So today our juniors went over it.
    With this all in mind, its no wonder he wants them to randori and newaza with us, they're going to need it.

  2. #32
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,415
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    For any who are interested,

    It all clicked into place tonight. Apparently our instructor had seen makikomi being used by yellow belt juniors in competition. So today our juniors went over it.
    With this all in mind, its no wonder he wants them to randori and newaza with us, they're going to need it.
    Surely you jest? Who is teaching makikomi to junior yellow belts?

    Judoka_UK, I can't imagine that's standard practice in BJA syllabus. Is Mike at some obscure mini-organization's dojo?

    Seriously, that's just wrong, yellow belts (junior or senior) doing makikomi type throws.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  3. #33
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makikomi


  4. #34
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Judoka_UK, I can't imagine that's standard practice in BJA syllabus. Is Mike at some obscure mini-organization's dojo?

    Seriously, that's just wrong, yellow belts (junior or senior) doing makikomi type throws.

    Ben
    Man I've given up.

    Its 100% likely that Big Mike is training at a totally legit BJA club with a total legit ranked and qualified instructor.

  5. #35
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,415
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Man I've given up.

    Its 100% likely that Big Mike is training at a totally legit BJA club with a total legit ranked and qualified instructor.
    Well, when you are running the BJA in 20 or 30 years, you can fix it all up to make some sense of it all.

    Wow, I'm surprised. Wait, maybe I'm not, I know a very well known club in the Pacific NW that teaches Seoi Otoshi to little kids. Just so they can have more success in shiai, as far as I can tell.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Man I've given up.

    Its 100% likely that Big Mike is training at a totally legit BJA club with a total legit ranked and qualified instructor.
    We've talked about which club im attending. I must stress, he is teaching it because if the juniors go into competition and it is used against them, and they have no knowledge of it, they'll end up in big trouble.

    It was pointed out that he dislikes it, he dislikes people who use it, and he really wishes he didnt have to teach it to them.

  7. #37
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Well, when you are running the BJA in 20 or 30 years, you can fix it all up to make some sense of it all.

    Wow, I'm surprised. Wait, maybe I'm not, I know a very well known club in the Pacific NW that teaches Seoi Otoshi to little kids. Just so they can have more success in shiai, as far as I can tell.
    Lol, **** that. I'm not going to run anything.

    Do you remember that cartoon on Judoforum back in the day where a white belt had his knee'raised with his foot tucked into a black belt's belt. The black belt's caption read 'So where did you learn Judo Smith?'

    I've genuinely seen tomoe nage taught basically like that by a legit BJA dan grade at a legit BJA club.

    I assisted a BJA technical officer at a training event where a 6 year old red belt was doing drop seoi and nothing but drop seoi and bouncing other 6 year olds on their heads and his coach, a legit BJA dan grade, was actively encouraging the kid in doing this and had clearly trained the kid to do this.

    I walked off in disgust.

  8. #38
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,415
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Makikomi

    Regarding makikomi, it is better to give than receive.

    As a funny aside, we learned a German term for Soto Makikomi from our German exchange student. She said it was a term they use in their dojo.

    Das Schwein Rollen (the pig roll or pig rolling)

    I laughed so hard I cried. We made that our official team cheer that very class. At the next shiai, one of my students threw the other with a perfect soto makikomi for ippon after having dodged an Ouchi Gari, turned his body totally sideways and all. We erupted in a Schwein Rollen chant from the sidelines.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  9. #39
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    We've talked about which club im attending. I must stress, he is teaching it because if the juniors go into competition and it is used against them, and they have no knowledge of it, they'll end up in big trouble.

    It was pointed out that he dislikes it, he dislikes people who use it, and he really wishes he didnt have to teach it to them.
    Drop seoi nage is illegal in BJA competitions for under 12s as is, I believe, Makikomi.

    I would post the relevant pdf, but the website redesign means none of the fucking links work.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes , but for the 12-16 year olds? Im not sure of the current age bands. We had no-one under twelve today but several in 12-16 range, how does that work in?

Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO