Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:49pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    You don't realise it but as a 125kg late adult beginner you are incredible stiff, you don't move properly and any attempt to move in on you is met with 150% resistance.

They feel there's little point trying to randori with you because they won't get anywhere because you're purely defensive and given your size and or strength and their lack of size and or strength and lack of skill the only thing they can do on you to stop it being a totally wasted 5 minutes is drop seoi attacks.

Relax, take your ukemi and stop be defensive.

Don't protest you're not being defensive you are, I know you are and I've never even met you, trust me, you are being purely defensive even if you think you aren't.
    Ok, that makes sense, i kinda get it now.

I'll stick to practising sweeps with the kids.
    What about newaza with them, how should I behave?

Is it normal to mix the two age groups like this?

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can still learn something and have a productive randori session from practicing with people that are smaller/weaker, but only if you go loose jello on them and try to counter them only using movement instead of pushing them away/shutting them out. I've been trying to do this even against same size partners, and just take the fall based on "whoops you caught me" rather than fight tooth and nail not to go down. I think I get thrown a little more sometimes, but not a ton more and I can at least feel more of what I'm doing/not doing.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/15/2011 4:27pm at .

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Ok, that makes sense, i kinda get it now.

I'll stick to practising sweeps with the kids.
    What about newaza with them, how should I behave?

Is it normal to mix the two age groups like this?
    Well you don't have to just do ashiwaza I would just advise against any kind of Makikomi, sutemi waza or hip technique because its likely to be all weight/strength and no technique.

Newaza just go out and be positive and try and attack, same as you should do in tachiwaza.

Age mixing depends on the size of the club the size of the kids, their ability etc... I've done adult sessions where there have been 14 and 15 year olds on the mat its not common, but its not uncommon if you know what I mean.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The youngest seems to be 11ish. The little ones avoid me in Randori, but newaza is ok. I tend to just talk them through guard passes when they look frustrated.

Maybe im just being alarmist, im just somewhat concerned that im the only person worried about me injuring teens.

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11 I would consider too young to allowed to practice with adults, 14 at the youngest, usually.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so it looks like I should probably voice my concern to the instructors. How do I go about this without offending them, or it looking like arrogance/insubordination?

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:50pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    11 I would consider too young to allowed to practice with adults, 14 at the youngest, usually.
    Eh, we practice with the little ones all the time. It's better if they play with more experienced people. Just try to feel how they are working the technique and if you judge that they might be successful against someone closer to their size, let them have it. For tachiwaza with the littler ones this means you have to be able to take the ukemi without landing on them or anything like that. Throw them gently if they do something really stupid. For newaza, I don't attack at all, just let them try to work their techniques. Working with kids is all about them, not you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Eh, we practice with the little ones all the time. It's better if they play with more experienced people. Just try to feel how they are working the technique and if you judge that they might be successful against someone closer to their size, let them have it. For tachiwaza with the littler ones this means you have to be able to take the ukemi without landing on them or anything like that. Throw them gently if they do something really stupid. For newaza, I don't attack at all, just let them try to work their techniques. Working with kids is all about them, not you.
    Thankyou. I'll take all this on board. The more I train the better i'll feel about it I guess. Thankyou all for the advice, i've been getting quite worried about it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Ok, so it looks like I should probably voice my concern to the instructors. How do I go about this without offending them, or it looking like arrogance/insubordination?
    What concerns? That you are going to hurt a kid? Or that you are not getting enough practice in for yourself?

If you just tell them you are not comfortable with the younger children (and I agree, it's getting a bit ridiculous for you to be doing much if anything with them), that should work out OK. If they get upset, I'd say it's more their problem than yours.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. You're right. I'll approach it tactfully tonight.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast