Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:02pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of you havnt met online before. Some explanation is required. I am currently 125kg, and im by no means a total lardass. Im implying that people are choosing to go hard on me due to my size and noobishness. The last thing I want is to pump peoples egos so they can say "I totally threw that 270lb guy". When In actuality, im just letting them throw me.

Dont get me wrong, the instructors can hurl me through the floor, but im talking about 150lb blue belts singling me out because they want to feel awesome.

I dont feel im learning anything by having people 100lb lighter than me expect compliance in randori.
    Last edited by The Juggernoob; 6/15/2011 2:06pm at .

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:03pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate guys that hate being thrown. It's randori, if your partner caught you, then take the fall FFS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I hate guys that hate being thrown. It's randori, if your partner caught you, then take the fall FFS.
    They dont catch me. Thats the issue. I dont think you understand how frustrated I am by this.
    I mean, there arent even enough seniors to pair off. I've been paired with juniors in randori and newaza. Obviously, I just let the juniors ragdoll me, but what I dont want is to not learn anything whatsoever when I randori with the seniors. If the aim of the game is to not get thrown by a blue belt.

It worth noting, they act like my throws are made of acid and are to be avoided at all times. So why the hell should I play fair?

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 2:28pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're regarding a blue belt as senior? I guess that's a different discussion but I'm shodan and I don't think of myself as senior.

At any rate, if you're 125 kg playing the 70 kg guys, you can probably block them most of the time. But why? Try playing looser and more relaxed, and learn something about how they make their entry and how you can make your entry. If the 70 kg guy gets in, sure you can block the throw but really you should take the throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, slight misunderstanding. When I say juniors and seniors, Im referring to age.
    Thats right, they let me randori and newaza with the teenagers. But that aside, you're right, i've been looking at it all wrong. If I play loose I can learn from them, even if i am cutting them slack.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Some of you havnt met online before. Some explanation is required. I am currently 125kg, and im by no means a total lardass. Im implying that people are choosing to go hard on me due to my size and noobishness. The last thing I want is to pump peoples egos so they can say "I totally threw that 270lb guy". When In actuality, im just letting them throw me.

Dont get me wrong, the instructors can hurl me through the floor, but im talking about 150lb blue belts singling me out because they want to feel awesome.

I dont feel im learning anything by having people 100lb lighter than me expect compliance in randori.
    Are you sure it's not the Tapout gear you wear to judo practice?

If you are getting thrown around just because you are new, that's a problem in and of itself. No matter how big you are, more advanced students should not be taking advantage of that, if they are, they are being dicks. How much your not exactly lard ass 125 kg is fat vs muscle shouldn't really matter.

Randori is not about total compliance, so I do not see the need for you to simply take falls just because someone trys a throw on you. However, if a tori DOES get in good and you are going, just take the fall. At your size, I think you should be able to stop a throw from a 150 lb blue belt just by being heavy, setting your weight etc. You might also try dodging/evasive tai sabaki to avoid attacks.

Being thrown is part of learning Judo in any case. If someone is abusing you, then you do not have to tolerate it, but it does not sound like that is the case. Concentrate of trying to throw them instead of worrying about them throwing you (in randori).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They dont catch me. Thats the issue. I dont think you understand how frustrated I am by this.
    I mean, there arent even enough seniors to pair off. I've been paired with juniors in randori and newaza. Obviously, I just let the juniors ragdoll me, but what I dont want is to not learn anything whatsoever when I randori with the seniors. If the aim of the game is to not get thrown by a blue belt.

It worth noting, they act like my throws are made of acid and are to be avoided at all times. So why the hell should I play fair?
    LOL, you have your panties in a wad because you have to let JUNIOR blue belts throw you in randori?

Get a life. I'm a sandan and I let kids throw me. If they are teenagers, I don't give them so much slack (depending on skill level).

Exactly how old are these JUNIOR blue belts that are troubling you?

Ben

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, slight misunderstanding. When I say juniors and seniors, Im referring to age.
    Thats right, they let me randori and newaza with the teenagers. But that aside, you're right, i've been looking at it all wrong. If I play loose I can learn from them, even if i am cutting them slack.
    OK, so teenagers.

You should be able to stop them from throwing you just by not moving, at 125 kg.

As noted, just be loose, but use good posture and proper grip, and practice your ashi waza on them. If they whine about that, then I'd ignore them.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Play fair because a 125 kg adult beating up teenagers is frowned upon in Judo. If you do so, you may well get a lot more attention from the seniors than you want.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 3:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't realise it but as a 125kg late adult beginner you are incredible stiff, you don't move properly and any attempt to move in on you is met with 150% resistance.

They feel there's little point trying to randori with you because they won't get anywhere because you're purely defensive and given your size and or strength and their lack of size and or strength and lack of skill the only thing they can do on you to stop it being a totally wasted 5 minutes is drop seoi attacks.

Relax, take your ukemi and stop be defensive.

Don't protest you're not being defensive you are, I know you are and I've never even met you, trust me, you are being purely defensive even if you think you aren't.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast