Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:03am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drop Seoinage

Is It wrong, from a sportsmanship perspective to resort to drop seoinage in randori if you're struggling?

Background: Its a lot easier for me to seoinage at the moment, due to size , weight and strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Is It wrong, from a sportsmanship perspective to resort to drop seoinage in randori if you're struggling?

Background: Its a lot easier for me to seoinage at the moment, due to size , weight and strength.
    If its against the new guy, who's only just learnt basic breakfalling then yes.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long have you been doing Judo?

Can you do standing Seoi Nage pretty well?

Also, if you go to both knees and do not rise back up, it's Seoi Otoshi.

Overall, I don't reccomend anyone do Seoi Otoshi unless they have a very good standing Seoi Nage.

Regarding sportsmanship, if you are just flopping and dropping in practice, it's not doing either of you any good unless the other guy gets to work on transition to ne waza.

I read somewhere else you are what, 260 lbs? I'd say you have better options.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you're trying to win in randori instead of trying to learn.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 11:44am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the drop seoi so many competitors use - hang on like a leech until you force this gentle roll, and somehow that's considered ippon.

But maybe that's just me...

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    If its against the new guy, who's only just learnt basic breakfalling then yes.
    Yeah, I did it once on a new guy who just kept trying to muscle me backwards. Problem is, he looked at the mat all the way down and landed face first.

Felt kinda bad about that one. I generally never to do it on beginners now, even if they are gorillas who're trying to bully me around the mat and are totally asking for it.

Which he was, totally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 1:35pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, to respond to all of these. Im a noob, the people im doing this to are not. I dont stay on my knees afterwards.

The only reason I resort to this , is because im getting a definate feeling that im getting singled out by people who want to challenge themselves. Skill is important, but like it or not, if I dont want to get thrown, majoratively I dont.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu, BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I began training in Judo I also wanted not to get thrown all the time. If everyone else at your dojo is more experienced than you than the reality is you will be thrown in Rondori. Often. There is no such thing as a magical technique that will succeed all the time. Just like with anything in life, practice! Find what works well for you and improve it. Technical practice, Uchikomi and Rondori are your friends. So is accepting that you will have to take thousands of falls in order to make progress. We all start at the bottom. Practice your Morote/Ippon Seoi-Nage and Seoi-Toshi. Get better at them and engage in Rondori as much as you can. Study Kuzushi and learn the different ways to off balance. Look for a person in your dojo who is of a similar build and study the way they use their waza. More importantly study the things they do in between their waza. Kuzushi is more important than any single waza. If you can't put your opponent off balance than none of you're Nage Waza will work. Good luck!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, to respond to all of these. Im a noob, the people im doing this to are not. I dont stay on my knees afterwards.

The only reason I resort to this , is because im getting a definate feeling that im getting singled out by people who want to challenge themselves. Skill is important, but like it or not, if I dont want to get thrown, majoratively I dont.
    What goes around comes around. If you go all out in randori to avoid being thrown, then people are going to go even harder, and they won't take falls for you either.

Randori isn't shiai, especially for a beginner such as yourself.

I suggest not doing things out of desperation to avoid being thrown.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 1:56pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

I suggest not doing things out of desperation to avoid being thrown.

Ben
    People get hurt that way. One of the paradoxes of Judo: we learn ukemi to avoid being hurt from falls. And then we do everything we can not to take ukemi!
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast