Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:07am

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The beret when worn properly (shaved, shaped and strings cut and burned) looked great when you were wearing a set of highly starched BDU’s and spit shined boots. We never wore the beret with BDU’s unless we went outside garrison onto post and then we better have it right. Most guy’s I knew had one or maybe two BDU’s that were highly starched and one set of jungle boots highly shined. The rest of our kit was all “fluff and buff”. No one would seriously consider wearing that stuff down range so the
    starch ruining the BDU ability to conceal a soldier” is kinda a flaccid argument. Back when the black beret was special we knew how to wear it. A beret was as individual as the soldier. I personally would buy a pre shaped and shaved beret. Then I would buy a pack of disposable razors and shave it some more. Then I would soak it in hot water and form the hell out of it. I would repeat this until it perfect and then tie and burn the strings. I loved wearing it with a high peak and pulled real low over my eye and ear. Now with ACU’s and non shined boots it doesn’t look as good but if done right it still looks great. As far as a PC, I still roll the crap out of it.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 4:04am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in the early 90's when I took the Queens shilling, the beret was the only part of the non field dress that was open to personalisation. This led to some head dress abortions, but if the **** fits...

The beret also bore the cap badge, and was the only way to tell the different regiments apart as we Brits did'nt go for all the insignia that you Yanks seem to like so much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only difference is our beret's had flashes

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 11:11am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    And B

The last one's so low it might actually impair his hearing, or poke someone's eye out with the top
    You managed to find a nice old picture, as the Ranger Regiment moved to Tan berets quite some time ago. However, to answer your concerns with the flash (badge to the Brits): There is a longstanding tradition in some portions of the 75th Ranger Regiment (specifically 1st Ranger Battalion) to make the top of the flash come down really low. This is so that they can walk around with their noses turned up at everyone else. It was also traditional with 1st Battalion to make sure the ear was entirely covered.

Normal wear of the beret generally dictates that one shaves it as thin as possible without tearing, cuts the cardboard leaving only enough to back the flash, and wears it so that it forms a generally straight light across the forehead (though most people end up angling it a bit for effect). The beret is normally only supposed to come partway down the earlobe, and should form fit the head, leaving only enough to form a sharp angle behind the flash. If worn in this manner, the American beret looks much, much, much, much crisper, better, and more badass than any other nation's beret that I have ever encountered.

Brits:

Americans:

"No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    You managed to find a nice old picture, as the Ranger Regiment moved to Tan berets quite some time ago. However, to answer your concerns with the flash (badge to the Brits): There is a longstanding tradition in some portions of the 75th Ranger Regiment (specifically 1st Ranger Battalion) to make the top of the flash come down really low. This is so that they can walk around with their noses turned up at everyone else. It was also traditional with 1st Battalion to make sure the ear was entirely covered.

Normal wear of the beret generally dictates that one shaves it as thin as possible without tearing, cuts the cardboard leaving only enough to back the flash, and wears it so that it forms a generally straight light across the forehead (though most people end up angling it a bit for effect). The beret is normally only supposed to come partway down the earlobe, and should form fit the head, leaving only enough to form a sharp angle behind the flash. If worn in this manner, the American beret looks much, much, much, much crisper, better, and more badass than any other nation's beret that I have ever encountered.

Brits:

Americans:

I always found that the wear of the beret was as individual as the wearer. Most guys in RGT that I knew wore with the flash pulled forward and the side pulled low over the eye and ear. I believe that was a RGT thing not just a 1st Bat thing. You right about foreign countries and the wear of the beret. Always seemed like they pulled it out of the plastic and threw it on their head. I hated giving up the black to get the tan beret and most guys in my timeline felt the same. Especially with how people wear the black beret now as evidenced from the above leg picture. The beret was something earned and was worn to show that pride. As a side note I think most 1st Batters bought more razors than average to shave the legs with also (being so close to the beach)! Just saying

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    the American beret looks much, much, much, much crisper, better, and more badass than any other nation's beret that I have ever encountered.

Brits:

Americans:

I'm afraid you're wrong. The American beret has been deeply infected with teh ghey.

Look at it flopping and folding around his head and that ostentatious cap badge that screams 'ooh look at me princess'.

The British beret, on the other hand, is a perfect example of understated elegance and deportment. Something I can appreciate Americans wouldn't understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I'm afraid you're wrong. The American beret has been deeply infected with teh ghey.

Look at it flopping and folding around his head and that ostentatious cap badge that screams 'ooh look at me princess'.

The British beret, on the other hand, is a perfect example of understated elegance and deportment. Something I can appreciate Americans wouldn't understand.

I believe you have the two confused. Our berets scream “bad mo-fo” and can actually be used as a throwing hatchet! Your beret’s are smooshed on top of your heads and look like the local baker down the block that serves tea and crumpets. You sir are correct though about “elegance and deportment” but that’s actually a compliment.

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with the limeys here. Americans don't know how to properly wear berets.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the Brits, floppy head socks aren't cool.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trust the french to be different
    Good shape though
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast