Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Got my 5th kyu!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    180
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Got my 5th kyu!

    Last Saturday i finally got my 5th kyu after passing the yearly exam.

    I know that, compared to the achievements of you people of this site this looks something very small and I know Aikido is not very well considered on the board, but I'm very happy an I wanted to share this small achievement with all of you!

    :Smile2:

  2. #2
    Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let anybody tell you that achieving rank in Aikido is easy. The gradings are VERY challenging, but in a more similar way to choreographed dance being more difficult then dancing at a night club, but probably less physically demanding.

    Congratulations on your promotion.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    180
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Colin!

    Actually the exams take place after three hours of training at about 40 C. and with a jiyuwaza format so they're not a walk in the park!

    There's a silver lining, though. When the time comes we're so fused that we stop worrying about the presence of so many Maestri (teachers)! ;-)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    225
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the pass and new grade :)

    Do not put yourself down (or let anyone put you down) with your current achievement. Each achievement is an accomplishment and a stepping stone to your next one.

    -Ken

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    232
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on your rank

  6. #6
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,195
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Don't let anybody tell you that achieving rank in Aikido is easy. The gradings are VERY challenging, but in a more similar way to choreographed dance being more difficult then dancing at a night club, but probably less physically demanding.

    Congratulations on your promotion.
    Here, let me clarify what Colin really meant to say.

    As for me, congratulations on the new rank!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. Keep working at it. any specific goals? Goals are important. set goals, like I will get my blackbelt in the next 8 years kind of goal. Keep training. Nice job. My goal's black belt in three years, but I'm a second kyu.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    180
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone!

    Yes, I've set a black belt goal because that will be the day I will have learned the basics, unfortunately i'm not sure if i'll be able to study with my Maestro because, if everything goes as planned, i'll pursue a diplomatic carrier.

    So i'm actually focusing on shorter-term goals like:

    1) Getting that cursed Yonkyou to work on those with bough-thick arms.
    2) Managing to finally SEE incoming strikes from my Nidan Karateka senpai.
    3) Overcome my dear old leg injuries.
    4) Having fun. The most important of these goals IMHO.


    EDIT: @Colin: we'll probably have a demonstration during a break in a dance exhibition so you're quite right actually!
    Last edited by Evilenzo; 6/15/2011 2:11am at . Reason: Forgot something!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilenzo View Post
    Thanks everyone!

    Yes, I've set a black belt goal because that will be the day I will have learned the basics, unfortunately i'm not sure if i'll be able to study with my Maestro because, if everything goes as planned, i'll pursue a diplomatic carrier.

    So i'm actually focusing on shorter-term goals like:

    1) Getting that cursed Yonkyou to work on those with bough-thick arms.
    2) Managing to finally SEE incoming strikes from my Nidan Karateka senpai.
    3) Overcome my dear old leg injuries.
    4) Having fun. The most important of these goals IMHO.


    EDIT: @Colin: we'll probably have a demonstration during a break in a dance exhibition so you're quite right actually!
    On those yonkyos, just remember that the nerve press is an afterthought, the main way of getting them down should be through the sword striking motion, and you should try to keep them down Via locking their shoulder. You can even pin them by working the shoulder, The nerve isn't even necessary to the technique.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    232
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pithecircle View Post
    On those yonkyos, just remember that the nerve press is an afterthought, the main way of getting them down should be through the sword striking motion, and you should try to keep them down Via locking their shoulder. You can even pin them by working the shoulder, The nerve isn't even necessary to the technique.
    I second that. Only one person has been able to affect my nerve during yonkyo. Even with that I have a high tolerance for pain so it doesn't even phase me. I am just more aware that he has pressed it properly. It would in no way, by itself, be enough to get me down though. Somewhere out there, there may be someone who can really wrench it down, but I don't rely on the nerve to get someone down. When I hit the nerve right, they just go down quicker and tap somewhat prematurely. Some people though, you will never get it on though.

    Also, are you bending the hand in on the omote version? I could never seem to get it on the omote version, then a few years ago, a sensei noticed and corrected my technique. I went years without hitting the nerve in omote.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO