Style
    BJJ Beginner
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training angles, what does this mean?

In my research, I have heard the word angles used ie 'the training involves a lot of angles'. I got the impression this is a good thing.

Specifically I heard Savate fighters use this a lot, and its not so prevalent in Muay Thai.

I have the option to train Savate (But at this stage, I'm leaning toward Sanda) and just want to know if it will add any value to my training.

Can someone explain the value of angles a bit more fully?

(I will be training Muay Thai in Thailand next year in any case)

Style
    MMA, BJJ, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "angles" is a very broad term. I don't know too much about savate, they may very well put more emphasis on angles in their instruction. However you will learn about angles in Muay Thai, Boxing, and most likely Sanda both through instruction and through sparring. The applications of creating advantageous angles in standup are numerous but you will only be able to use them after you have a lot of practice with footwork. Here is a very simplistic example of creating a superior angle. You stand straight in front of an opponent (both left foot forward). If you step to your right while still facing your opponent you will have a superior angle. You are outside the range of his right hand and right leg kicks. In the mean time his temple and rip cage are in perfect range for your right hand. In my opinion if you have a good gym you are going to become familiar with creating angles whether it be Muay Thai, Boxing, Savate, Sanda, Kyokushin, etc.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might say that fighting is all about geometry. It's such a broad focus though, that you should probably just let your instructor expand on that in your art.

I think you may hear about more angles in savate because although it can be practiced as a full contact kickboxing sport, it can also be practiced as a light contact point based style. This gives rise to lots of artful kick at angles that are uncommon in muay thai (for example, the lateral reverse kick, side kick, and multiple kicks off the same chambered leg). These don't seem to work so well in muay thai, at least when the American point karate style kickboxers started fighting fighters from Thailand. The savate kicks also have some extra zing from being the kickboxing style with shoes, so shorter, leg-only kicks delivered with precision would still be telling, and the instep, toes and ball of foot would be more protected than if barefoot.

Style
    BJJ Beginner
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.