Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:01am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is how Bullshidokas respond to this sites existance.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I know that kata and compliant exercises aren't teaching fighting, but they teach confidence. The women learn that they can progress at something physical; master kata and application and so on. Then, they act more confident in public. Attackers sense weakness/lack of confidence, so if they just look more confident - no confrontation!
    Confident enough to stride through the bad part of town... alone, at 2am, safe in the knowledge that no-one (or no group of no-ones) will dare to start trouble?

Sometimes the confidence will be false.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 1:01am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any "confidence" gained in those stupid fucking courses is off set by the arrogant foolish-ness that a moment of semi-competance in a basic technique gives.

I was once challenged to a fight by a woman at a party based on her "Self Defense" boxing course. It took a look and two steps forward to make her literally scramble away from me, and this was in a roomful of people who know I'm a fucking cream puff.

If I had been someone with bad intent, I could have killed her.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 1:25am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can of pepper spray.
    Folding pocket knife.
    Handgun of choice w/CCW.

Regular use and training of any/all of those.
    Cheaper, more reliable, and more realistic "confidence booster" than any martial art.

PS: These work too:

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 1:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    Any "confidence" gained in those stupid fucking courses is off set by the arrogant foolish-ness that a moment of semi-competance in a basic technique gives.

I was once challenged to a fight by a woman at a party based on her "Self Defense" boxing course. It took a look and two steps forward to make her literally scramble away from me, and this was in a roomful of people who know I'm a fucking cream puff.

If I had been someone with bad intent, I could have killed her.
    I might be wrong, but there seems to be a school of thought amongst some of these self-defence folks (or at least people who learn this stuff) that the 'bad guys' on the streetz are inherently weak and stupid, will drop from a couple of hits - and that they can be defeated by simply 'spamming' a couple of moves that you learned.

A bit like the low-level enemies in side-scrolling beat-em-ups, maybe?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 1:42am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    I might be wrong, but there seems to be a school of thought amongst some of these self-defence folks (or at least people who learn this stuff) that the 'bad guys' on the streetz are inherently weak and stupid, will drop from a couple of hits - and that they can be defeated by simply 'spamming' a couple of moves that you learned.

A bit like the low-level enemies in side-scrolling beat-em-ups, maybe?
    It all stems from bleeding heart liberalism. All criminals must be disadvanted , because people are always bad for a good reason. So therefore all criminals are malnourished oppurtunists.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    I always thought the the idea wasn't to "win a fight" or "defeat the attacker" but create a small window of opportunity to "run and escape".

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Can of pepper spray.
    Folding pocket knife.
    Handgun of choice w/CCW.

Regular use and training of any/all of those.
    Cheaper, more reliable, and more realistic "confidence booster" than any martial art.

PS: These work too:

I'd disagree with the knife; by the time you've trained enough to be more of a hazard to an attacker than yourself, you could have trained to fight unarmed, or, better yet, afford to move to a better neighborhood.

Good call on the rapebeagle, though. No can defense.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that kata and compliant exercises aren't teaching fighting, but they teach confidence. The women learn that they can progress at something physical; master kata and application and so on. Then, they act more confident in public. Attackers sense weakness/lack of confidence, so if they just look more confident - no confrontation!
    I'll bet they'd develop more confidence learning to take a medium power body punch than learning a kata.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello all. I have a friend who runs a Krotty dojo. That doesn't offend me, much, but the "Self Defense for Women!" seminars really do. In a lengthy conversation (fueled by alcohol, of course) she reduced her training course to this:

Is there any kind of evidence for this? That simple confidence boosters reduce attacks? If so, is this a possible use for compliant "fighting"?
    COMMON SENSE > CONFIDENCE
    I am a Big Black Man (BBM) of 6' 250lbs of muscle and extreme confident. I have a lot of experience with violence but personally and professionally. I carry an concealed firearm and follow rule #9 (Always carry a knife). I am not a soft target. People have tried to mug me. The attempts failed but if it can happen to me then it can happen to a woman with a few hours of karate kata training and I don't like their chances.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast