Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you respond to this assertion?

Hello all. I have a friend who runs a Krotty dojo. That doesn't offend me, much, but the "Self Defense for Women!" seminars really do. In a lengthy conversation (fueled by alcohol, of course) she reduced her training course to this:

I know that kata and compliant exercises aren't teaching fighting, but they teach confidence. The women learn that they can progress at something physical; master kata and application and so on. Then, they act more confident in public. Attackers sense weakness/lack of confidence, so if they just look more confident - no confrontation!

Is there any kind of evidence for this? That simple confidence boosters reduce attacks? If so, is this a possible use for compliant "fighting"?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Slaps forehead:

Yes there is evidence if you allow paradigm shift to be considered factual in evidence.

Besides that most women are over babied victims that need to grow a pair.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like just a way to excuse her teaching ****.

And the showing women they can progress at something physical part... wtf? As if women don't already do sports.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muggers are know to attack those they see as more vulnerable, rapists, i'm not si sure, since a high percentage of rapes are from people who know the victim, hence removing them as a random target, and rape is an act of domination, the 'confident' woman may actually fuel that need for dominance.

Either way its pretty unlikely a few kata would raise someone's confidence enough they would behave much different outside

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Hello all. I have a friend who runs a Krotty dojo. That doesn't offend me, much, but the "Self Defense for Women!" seminars really do. In a lengthy conversation (fueled by alcohol, of course) she reduced her training course to this:

I know that kata and compliant exercises aren't teaching fighting, but they teach confidence. The women learn that they can progress at something physical; master kata and application and so on. Then, they act more confident in public. Attackers sense weakness/lack of confidence, so if they just look more confident - no confrontation!

Is there any kind of evidence for this? That simple confidence boosters reduce attacks? If so, is this a possible use for compliant "fighting"?
    If it's just about teaching a mindset, why not just teach them to enjoy very rough sex with complete strangers ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    *Slaps forehead:

Yes there is evidence if you allow paradigm shift to be considered factual in evidence.

Besides that most women are over babied victims that need to grow a pair.
    I think their genitals are fine Just the way they are.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best way to find your answer:

1. Attack a random woman in a dark parking lot.
    2. Afterward, have your friend recruit her for the Women's Self Defense course.
    3. Attack her again a few months later.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people who prey on other people will be less likely to go for someone who looks strong and confident.

A kata seminar and compliant training are not going to make enough of a change in someone's personality to cause this, most likely.

Why not actually teach them to defend themselves instead? Then they can gain confidence AND learn how to fight...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of self defence courses run on this principal. The real issue here is, as a woman, why is your friend ok with manipulating other womens insecurity, especially with something as potentially harmful as this?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    The real issue here is, as a woman, why is your friend ok with manipulating other womens insecurity, especially with something as potentially harmful as this?
    Money?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last